Thread: I want to learn 'stop motion'

I want to learn 'stop motion'

Hi all :

i got 5 dvd's from Stan Winston that teach stop motion, and 2 that teach sculpting the figure and head with clay.
    I also have 6 dvd's on sculpting by marc Alfrey, a few other dvd's by Stan Winston, and a book called 'the sculpting
    techniques bible'.
    I searched amazon for 'stop motion animation kit' and found 2 camera kits for doing your own stop motion (they both
    cost about 59 dollars). I really want to learn to do stop motion on the side, just for fun and hobby.
    I also bought one of Stan Winston's sculpting kit (from amazon) is very good and include all tools needed to follow
    along with the sculpting dvd. I am very excited about doing this, just for fun.
    Do you have any suggestions for a newbie to 'stop motion' ?
    What is the best (inexpensive please) camera, and what other dvd's and books would be good for learning ?
    thank you !!!
    Last edited by rednova; 12-07-2019 at 06:19 PM.
    -Mobilis In Mobile-

you should check >

Richard Williams - The Animator's Survival Kit

all the same principles apply.

http://www.theanimatorssurvivalkit.com
    Last edited by erikals; 12-08-2019 at 08:39 AM.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Search brickfilm on youtube. There are a ton of people making stop motion movies with lego type bricks. Lots of them are using a webcam or cell phone.

Definitely go the digital route rather than film largely for cost reasons.

This is probably the state-of-the-art place for stop motion productions these days.
    https://www.laika.com/

On the supplementary material for "Coraline" Blu-ray there's some good behind the scenes stuff touching on various technical aspects and considerations oft overlooked.

I don't have the name at the moment, but there was (still available as of a year or so ago, free) a collection of scripts for After Effects that gave you all sorts of control to achieve that look.
    "Never be a cat in a cartoon. Never." Chief Wiggum

If you have an iphone/ipad, istopmotion is cheap and easy to use (also runs on apple computers).
    I can run it on my ipad and use iphone as a camera on a tripod.
    It provides ‘onion skinning’ also to make it easier.
    Might be a good starting point.
    Mac Pro (2010) OSX 10.13 RX580 Pulse LW2019 LWCad 2018

well can't say much about cameras, although since blackmagic releaserd their cheap 4k 6k cams, prices are shaking uo for a second hand camera.
    Wich I do recommend for initial tests. Usually those are in good conditions. But for you as a beginner I would go with a good cheap dslr canon (the amd of cams) or
    nikon (the nvidia of cameras). These are investments you can use even if you are switching interest.
    I _do_ redcommend to check aliexpress for some cheap base skeletons..simply search for stop motion.

Look for a camera with remote software to prevent jittery recordings. I've been using software from Canon that came with their cheap cameras and their more expensive cameras. Both were very useful.

Does anyone remember this? One of my fav animated series.

Win10 64 - i7 [email protected], p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb, Nvidia GTX 1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820. Screens: 2 x Samsung s27a850ds 2560x1440, HP 1920x1200 in portrait mode

If you're on a budget, OpenToonz can use any webcam, and displays the last captured image as an onionskin, if needed.

Although I have no experience with this myself, SparkoCam turns any Nikon/Canon DSLR into a webcam.
    https://sparkosoft.com/sparkocam

SparkoCam works with OpenToonz (or at least, the previous release did, I just read there might be some issues with the latest version).

Digicam is free:
    http://digicamcontrol.com/

Grab your frames with Digicam, and put your production together with OpenToonz.

And I agree with Erikals: if you are semi-serious about doing motion capture, just get Dragonframe.
    Win10 64 - i7 [email protected], p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb, Nvidia GTX 1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820. Screens: 2 x Samsung s27a850ds 2560x1440, HP 1920x1200 in portrait mode