Thread: Dragon 11.6 scene, fixed

Dragon 11.6 scene, fixed

just a fixed 11.6 scene, fixed the wings attachment.
    still penetrating front/back, but i'll leave it a challenge 4 u to fix...  

download >
    Attached Files Attached Files
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

might be able to add thickness to the wings (without surface-penetration) by scanning MDD, then adding displacement.

see Carm3D's trick > Displacements & MDD's Can Be Friends
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xF46N2ENAZc

Hey, that’s pretty cool......
    Mac Pro (2010) OSX 10.13 RX580 Pulse LW2019 LWCad 2018

Yes!  

Found the original render, looks great, but with less detail on the wings.
    Dragon Rig by Lino Grandi. Walk cycle animation by Sarah Arduini.

hm, so who is this animator ?
    https://www.imdb.com/name/nm5336174
    Last edited by erikals; 12-07-2019 at 06:57 PM.

Point of interest: That's a wyvern, not a dragon.
    - Ignorance is bliss...

oh...
    https://www.google.no/search?&q=wyvern

---------

subnote;

i found that there are basically 4 methods (non of them fantastic) to reduce the penetrations.

- the most obvious one, use single sided polys for the wing (paper-ish) use nodes to surface both sides.
    - a peculiar thing i stumbled upon, was that setting the thickness to something extremely thin worked pretty good.
    - then there is the "go opposite" method, where one makes the thickness of the wings Very thick.  (Train Your Dragon)
    - after calculating, use a clip map to "remove" problem areas. (tools like cagedeformer can work, but not for cloth with lots of "tricky" wrinkles)

additionally, of course, the more cloth movement, the more back/front penetrations.

metalink and other tricks didn't work as well as i had hoped. but hey, it's not like a dragon (wyvern) will have 90% screentime anyway.
    well, alright, sometimes, but usually not. https://www.google.no/search?&q=how+to+train+dragon

so overall, kinda satisfied with it... kinda...  
    Last edited by erikals; 12-07-2019 at 07:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    oh...
    https://www.google.no/search?&q=wyvern

---------

subnote;

i found that there are basically 4 methods (non of them fantastic) to reduce the penetrations.

- the most obvious one, use single sided polys for the wing (paper-ish) use nodes to surface both sides.
    - a peculiar thing i stumbled upon, was that setting the thickness to something extremely thin worked pretty good.
    - then there is the "go opposite" method, where one makes the thickness of the wings Very thick.  (Train Your Dragon)
    - after calculating, use a clip map to "remove" problem areas. (tools like cagedeformer can work, but not for cloth with lots of "tricky" wrinkles)

additionally, of course, the more cloth movement, the more back/front penetrations.

metalink and other tricks didn't work as well as i had hoped. but hey, it's not like a dragon (wyvern) will have 90% screentime anyway.
    well, alright, sometimes, but usually not. https://www.google.no/search?&q=how+to+train+dragon

so overall, kinda satisfied with it... kinda...  
    Hi

I take a look and found that the basic problem are the weight maps on wings for Dynamics, i cloned the "Fixed_Wings" and created "Fixed_Wings 2" Map, select the Wings poly Mesh, made a BLUR with 10 iterations and later on LayOut i made a Basic Deformed settings with Retention WeightMap gradient

Now it looks Great

Also i made a DobleSided Surface for fix some problems with the penetrations (a very little parts on simulation)

I made a quick render and all itīs OK

It is a shame i donīt know how to share it here

Greetings

I think that scene was fixed in 2015 versions, just loaded Dragon Rig cloth wings, and it works as it should.

ah Cool, well here it is if one is using 11.6  

+some notes about clothfx.

and some of you might have noticed that the Girl who animated this is now working at Disney.

ah Cool, well here it is if one is using 11.6  

+some notes about clothfx.

and some of you might have noticed that the Girl who animated this is now working at Disney.
    Wow...pretty impressive list of huge movies she has gathered as credited animator.

I am right now playing with the scene in blender, well...I mdd scanned the body and the horns seperately and then imported to blender, fixing the mdd Axis mapping
    preferably set to forward/up axis should be +Z and + y and flip axis set to y.
    And the horns (crest) should be parented to the body ..also, any subdiv modifier should be set to last, otherwise you will run in to final render issues, even if it looks ok in opengl and cycles preview.

I am messing around with some fire in the environment using blender for fire, cause honestly..the vdb tools and gas solver in Lightwave is too slow to work with currently, hope to see it improve a lot, or turbulenceTFD get all the functions it has in cinema4D, currently neither the VDB tools with gas solver nor TurbulenceFD satisfy me...the amount of time it takes to tweak the quality and settings in blender I can handle since it comes at no other cost than just that.

That said..for fine fire flames I actually think turbulenceFD does a better job, both simulating faster, and having that nice thermal convection at the start of fire, and it is also easier to set noise scaling of the fire, that said..you can get nice stuff all for free with blender fire, for getting those typical sharp fire edges, you need to adjust with curves and contrast nodes in to the principle volume shaders black body input, and also add a flame attribute that plugs in to that.
    Itīs rendering a little test now so I canīt post any images right now.

i know, quite Awesome what she achieved!  

I mdd scanned the body and the horns separately
    yes, this is something i wish wasn't so in the original scene, I always prefer to have the final character in 1 layer. Max 2.
    i could fix it, but alas,... time...

yeah, i own Turbulence, so leaning towards that atm, and Houdini.

i know, quite Awesome what she achieved!  

yes, this is something i wish wasn't so in the original scene, I always prefer to have the final character in 1 layer. Max 2.
    i could fix it, but alas,... time...

yeah, i own Turbulence, so leaning towards that atm, and Houdini.
    I made some more descriptions on some things to consider when comparing blender fluid and turbulenceFD in ght group buy in thread, I think I would generally say that it is workflow ease and function that blender excels more in, not in all areas, but in most..and final pbr volumetric model, but at the same time, for really huge sims and simulation speed and final professional output in rendering, I would probably give TFD the crown, easier to get better quality renders, if we look pass the fact it doesnīt render PBR volumetrics unless converting to VDB that is.

Small and nice fireflames is in my opinion easier to do in TFD, but tweaking a full thick smoke render I think I prefer blender, but at the same time it often requires very high resolutions to get it decent.
    This sample down below from Lightwave Guru demonstrates some nice initial thermal convection which I believe is hard to acheive in blenders fire fluids, it may also be easier to tweak the shader in TurbulenceFD for those sharper edges of the flames, I just recently have started to gain control on how to acheive that look in blender for the shading, thermal convection ..not yet, it may be that mantaflow can handle that better..but mantaflow is not working nicely for me with caching and replaying in blender 2.8, so still much to check there.

Houdini fire, I actually prefer TFD and Blender due to itīs ease of setting things up..and may in fact be faster in many cases to simulate, but for ultimate control and flexibility and ultimate VDB support with smoothin filters upon export of VDB, houdini rocks.

If I only had fireflames to do, I would pick TFD anytime, though it lacks weight emission in Lightwave.