Thread: What are the best specs for a Skype PC Laptop running Virtual Input?

What are the best specs for a Skype PC Laptop running Virtual Input?

Hello all,

I've experienced a bit of a headache today testing 3 different machines with Skype + Virtual Input.

I'm running the NewTek PTZ camera, and using Virtual Input in Skype for the video feed. I am not using the Camera's audio input, and using a separate USB DAC solution.

I've tested two Lenovo Thinkpad's with 16GB of RAM and 2.2 GHZ quad core processors today, both running Windows 10. Both have struggled to broadcast the PTZ Camera while receiving a relatively high quality return feed from the Skype guest.

What I find troubling is that I can run Skype TX on a PC Laptop with less Speed and less RAM, and not have any problems.

If I set the Windows performance settings to BEST, I can run a relatively smooth Skype session. The total CPU percentage runs between 40% - 75%. If I try to open another application or move windows around, forget about it - the Skype session goes haywire. Once there is lag or frame drops in the camera's feed, it is NEVER fixed again. The only solution is to start Skype again.

If I run a Skype session on a Macbook Pro with 16 GB Ram and 2.2 6-core processor, using Video Monitor and Skype's Screen Share feature, it runs flawlessly. (Despite the fact that screen share can only run at about 15 fps.) I'm wondering if I should try Boot Camp on the Macbook Pro.

So my question is - who runs Skype with Virtual Input on a PC laptop, and doesn't experience any of the outlined issues? What your specs?

Many thanks in advance.

Are you using the latest NDI Tools 4.1? Virtual Input was re-written which might help, although the little I've tried with Skype and Virtual Input before, I don't recall issues like you are describing.

Also, make sure you are using the desktop Skype client and not the Windows Store version of Skype. Usually you can't even get the Windows Store version to work with Virtual Input, but I've not tried in a long time.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Hi Kane,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes I'm using the latest version of NDI Tools - downloaded them yesterday. Also confirming I'm using the desktop version of Skype and not the Windows Store. Also confirming I'm not using "Skype for Windows 10", which has a similar issue regarding NDI support.

I was using new imaged laptops and that required a fresh Skype and NDI Tools installation. I'm wondering now if previous version of NDI Tools do not have this issue? I had done hours of testing earlier this year where this wasn't an issue - at that time I was using NDI Tools 3.8. However I can confirm I wasn't actively monitoring the CPU activity at that time.