Thread: Coming back to Mac

Top Dog

Coming back to Mac

Over the past two years, I completely transitioned over to Windows after only using Macs for more than 30 years.

My company recently asked me to be part of a pilot program to see if they should widely deploy Macs to the rest of the company. One of the reasons that I moved to Windows is because of software like Octane that takes advantage of Nvidia GPUs.

I do have an eGPU with an RTX 2080. I saw that awhile back that Apple would support eGPUs. Does Apple fully support eGPUs or is it specific brands? And do they support Nvidia in general?

- - - Updated - - -

And how is LW faring with the latest versions of MacOS?

You can’t use that egpu with a cMP or trashcan macpro.
    It should work on latest mac mini, imac, imacpro.
    You can’t use Nvidia gpu’s in the new macpro (due this month) as cuda drivers aren’t available for the current OS.
    However Octane X will support metal, this is supposed to be free if you purchase a new macpro.

LW seems pretty stable these days on the mac.
    Mac Pro (2010) OSX 10.14 RX580 Pulse LW2020
    (plugins: LWCad 2020, TFD 1443, Syflex 2018, StarPro 2020, ExrTrader 2020, Ubercam 2.0, Daz Mocap, DP Light 2020, Quadpanels 1.5)

Quote Originally Posted by wesleycorgi View Post
    Over the past two years, I completely transitioned over to Windows after only using Macs for more than 30 years.

My company recently asked me to be part of a pilot program to see if they should widely deploy Macs to the rest of the company. One of the reasons that I moved to Windows is because of software like Octane that takes advantage of Nvidia GPUs.

I do have an eGPU with an RTX 2080. I saw that awhile back that Apple would support eGPUs. Does Apple fully support eGPUs or is it specific brands? And do they support Nvidia in general?

- - - Updated - - -

And how is LW faring with the latest versions of MacOS?
    Nvidia recently axed Mac support for their gpus.
    So they are no good for Octane.
    And yh the days of the mac workstation are numbered, as more and more people continue to transition to windows.