Thread: Genoma 2

Genoma 2

Are there any good Genoma 2 Video tuts for Lightwave 2015. I am trying to rig and animate a Pegasus, any suggestions.

i used Genoma 1 for rigging, went fine, but for actually animating it, it wasn't too efficient.

do check RHiggit! (link below)

interested in what others has to say about it.
    edit; answered here > https://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php/155423

as for what Genoma tutorials that are best...
    the ones from LightWave3D perhaps...
    https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...ma+2+LightWave
    Last edited by erikals; 12-06-2019 at 12:52 PM.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

ok, so it looks like Genoma 1 and Genoma 2 are quite similar.
    https://docs.lightwave3d.com/lw2019/...enoma/genoma-2

New to Genoma 2 over the previous iteration are:

Full customization for any rig or rig part
    No need for Connector Rig elements
    Animation is now preserved when making changes.
    mighty good links TheLexx.   
    Last edited by erikals; 12-06-2019 at 01:28 PM.

Lino Grandi also did a series on Genoma 2, available on the Lightwave YouTube site.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GKtHBjimXo

Animating with Genoma 2 is pretty easy... it's definitely usable, and far easier than creating your own rig.

I also like the IK/FK switches, which are useful.
    Last edited by RPSchmidt; 12-06-2019 at 01:50 PM.

The main differences between genoma 1 and 2:

Genoma 1 is a very dense setup. However, it does not rely on expressions at all and the overall setup is just simpler (even if the number of controls is a bit high).

Genoma 2 is much lighter, and adds some ik/fk and display features, but most users will struggle with multi-rig scenes as workarounds (or specific plugins) are required to make this happen.
    Last edited by Ryan Roye; 12-06-2019 at 03:44 PM.
    Professional-level 3d training: Ryan's Lightwave Learning
    Plugin Developer: RR Tools for Lightwave

Can somebody explain why DAZ Studio is on Genoma 8 and LW is on Genoma 2?

Quote Originally Posted by paulk View Post
    Can somebody explain why DAZ Studio is on Genoma 8 and LW is on Genoma 2?
    I think you mean Daz Studios is on GENESIS 8... Which is a avatar model version, not an animation rig.

Genoma in DAZ Studio is completely different. Coincidentally they use the same name.

Genoma 2 seems geared towards flexibility. its a pretty cool concept, It’s not even really an autorigger at heart it’s like powergons on steroids. You could theoretically make a Genoma2 rig that does pretty much anything because Genoma2 Skelegons can even run scripts. But The amount of effort you would need to expend in setting something like that up inside of modeler is mind boggling. it would be quicker to write a plugin. I get the impression that very few people have really tried to push it to the extreme. the IKFK+ rig is basically the only 3rd party Genoma 2 rig I’ve ever seen. And its strength is its simplicity.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Roye View Post
    The main differences between genoma 1 and 2:

Genoma 1 is a very dense setup. However, it does not rely on expressions at all and the overall setup is just simpler (even if the number of controls is a bit high).

Genoma 2 is much lighter, and adds some ik/fk and display features, but most users will struggle with multi-rig scenes as workarounds (or specific plugins) are required to make this happen.
    and how about RHiggit! ? better?

Quote Originally Posted by gar26lw View Post
    and how about RHiggit! ? better?
    Yes. Mainly because the editing process is done in layout. I have a feeling the main reason genoma was made in modeler was due to the fact that they didn't want to code their own tools for the types of manipulations you'd often want in rigging. In layout I can't think of a native way to scale an entire bone heirarchy for example, I had to code that functionality myself in my own tools.

After its release I did explore the customizability of Genoma 2, but I came to the same conclusion as hypersuperduper; the amount of work to create a custom preset is way too damn high even if you are deeply familiar with Lightwave's SDK.
    Last edited by Ryan Roye; 12-10-2019 at 11:52 AM.
    Professional-level 3d training: Ryan's Lightwave Learning
    Plugin Developer: RR Tools for Lightwave

I sort of think also that building the autorigging tools in layout would have been tantamount to accepting that the lightwave modeler to layout workflow is limited. Genoma doubles down on the classic lightwave way of working, and does so pretty well, but also demonstrates it’s limitations.