Thread: 7-1 recording format

7-1 recording format

Hi,
    I've just installed 7-1 on our TC1, is there any way to use the old xdcam recording format?
    With the new NDI recording format we've lost all native macOS support, including Final Cut Pro X.

This is a major issue for us. Before we could drop the files from the Tricaster straight in fcpx, and if all recordings from now on needs transcoding, I will probably roll back. All our editing is done on macs, and having to transcode everything is a huge step back for us.

Any solutions for us fcpx users that doesn't involve transcoding?

Thanks!

7-1 records native NDI. If you need XDCAM, you will need to go back to 7-0.

Not all recording formats are broken. Interlaced video recordings work with AVFoundation based applications, the issues are with progressive formats (which were the exact opposite of with 7-0). You can go back to 7-0 from 7-1 by installing a previous version.

I just created this compatibility chart today (Dec 6th).
    NewTek NDI Recording Formats.pdf

Another option it to use the free IsoCorder software which will record in the MOV/XDCAM format. There is a free version that records two channels of video. It does require an extra Windows PC to run it on. https://www.newtek.com/ndi/applications/
    Last edited by kanep; 12-06-2019 at 03:56 PM.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

I see. Is it up to Apple to fix full support for the ndi format?

Quote Originally Posted by AndersM View Post
    I see. Is it up to Apple to fix full support for the ndi format?
    Apple has deprecated QuickTime and replaced with AVFoundation. AVFoundation doesn't support 3rd party codecs, NewTek can't write a plug-in to make it work because there is no way to do it. Apple would need to add it.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

No support for Davinci Resolve at all? Is this something that will be updated in the future? Before you have support on all major applications, maybe you should have kept the option to record to XDCAM? Going back to 7.0 won’t work since that has the serious DDR with alpha playback bug.

Also, files recorded in 7-1 doesn’t seem to work in Premiere on Windows either.

This is a huge problem I upgraded this morning and now I am up a creek! The files format seem to be incompatible with my TelVue playout server. Newtek support was no help at all! How can I downgrade?
    Common Gear Used:
    TriCaster: 40, 460, TC 1
    Time Warp TW42
    Cameras: Sony PXWX70, Newtek PTZ / HX
    Cable Solution:Coax HD_SDI & IP
    Newtek Spark HDMI
    Teradek Cube 105
    Chevy City Express Van

Quote Originally Posted by Johan Folke View Post
    No support for Davinci Resolve at all? Is this something that will be updated in the future? Before you have support on all major applications, maybe you should have kept the option to record to XDCAM? Going back to 7.0 won’t work since that has the serious DDR with alpha playback bug.

Also, files recorded in 7-1 doesn’t seem to work in Premiere on Windows either.
    I have been bringing in the filles into premier 2019 without issue on my windows 10 laptop. Maybe update of NDI tools is needed?