Thread: Question: Render speeds, OS

Question: Render speeds, OS

Has anyone benchmarked LW rendering, on identical systems, windows 7 vs Windows 10.

I'm getting my 3950X ere long, which means I have to switch to Windows 10 (x570 chipset), which I HATE.

I know how to hack Windows 7 into working, but there are disadvantages with that, and if Win 10 ain't slower (it reportedly was, at least in the early days) I'm not going to bother.

NB: Not interested in comments about why I prefer Windows 7 - I am more computer literate than most.
    - Ignorance is bliss...

you can use a MSI B450M Bazooka V2.

edit; hm, i see the 450 has the same problem.
    https://www.google.no/search?&q=b450+windows+7

using Win7 myself.   

but back to the benchmark.
    not sure, i've read it is about the same in most other apps. others might chime in.

perhaps it is better to hack Win10 to work better/smarter, instead of hacking Win7. (Even tho' i love Win7)
    https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...+10+tweak+win7

however, for Win10, beware of this stuff....  especially Forced Updates
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIQNr0mOCpg
    Last edited by erikals; 12-05-2019 at 07:45 PM.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

obfuscated SDK hacker Lightwolf's Avatar
    Given that you run a 3950X and the latest Win10 updates have task scheduling updates to specifically tackle how the Zen2 cores behave, I don't see any reason to use Win7 at all.

Cheers,
    Mike

Win10 updates have task scheduling updates
    Some time back the guy in the video above experienced that even though he set Windows 10 not to update, it did it anyway.
    But hopefully that bug has been fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightwolf View Post
    Given that you run a 3950X and the latest Win10 updates have task scheduling updates to specifically tackle how the Zen2 cores behave, I don't see any reason to use Win7 at all.

Cheers,
    Mike
    Exactly! By running Win7 today one might not be able to use latest technology and kernel updates that properly support the new CPUs. Some new applications don't even install on Win7 anymore. Other than the forced Windows updates I see no reason not to run Win10, it is a great OS.

I use Win10 daily, and it is a piece of ****, for too many reasons to mention here.

I'll probably just try both, and benchmark a render. Whichever one is the faster, wins.
    - Ignorance is bliss...

Quote Originally Posted by Amerelium View Post
    I use Win10 daily, and it is a piece of ****, for too many reasons to mention here.
    I am on Windows 7 Professional after just loathing the look and feel of Windows 10, but I am not too PC literate compared to others here, so even a nugget of insight why you hate Win 10 could be useful. And what do we do when Microsoft imminently drop Win 7 support ? Will there be an offline activatable Win 7 ?
    Last edited by TheLexx; 12-06-2019 at 04:04 PM.

obfuscated SDK hacker Lightwolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Amerelium View Post
    I've switched to W10 when it was released and never looked back.

Cheers,
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    when Microsoft imminently drop Win 7 support ? Will there be an offline activatable Win 7 ?
    We have to live with the fact that Windows 7 is not going to be around forever. Support will stop. And applications will stop supporting the Windows 7 version.

10 years on using Windows 7 is going to have a real problem running modern Apps.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    I am on Windows 7 Professional after just loathing the look and feel of Windows 10, but I am not too PC literate compared to others here, so even a nugget of insight why you hate Win 10 could be useful. And what do we do when Microsoft imminently drop Win 7 support ? Will there be an offline activatable Win 7 ?
    ...as I originally stated: I'm not interested in posts about why this or that.

Only asking if anyone has any relevant performance comparisons.
    - Ignorance is bliss...

it would seem that lightwave renders slower in windows 10. the hub sync is also a known
    issue in win 10.
    not tried with compatibility mode. wonder if any better?
    btw, you can easily make win 10 look like win 7.
    Last edited by gar26lw; 12-07-2019 at 11:39 PM.