Thread: Tips on clothing som

Tips on clothing som

I Want to do some simulated clothing for a project I am working on. (Clothing on skinned character) Currently I am using soft body dynamics and the results are stable enough for my purposes if I turn off self collision and tweak the settings just right, but I am having real trouble with the clothing intersecting itself in some of the poses I need (Woman in a medium length skirt sitting on a chair for example). If I turn on self collision the sim breaks down.

Is bullet cloth-sim with self-collision even feasible? Has anyone had any luck with it?

If so I am wondering how to get reliable cloth results with self collision. Tips?

If not, what are my best options. Syflex?, marvelous designer?, blender? Clothfx!?!

I don’t usually do a lot of cloth stuff so I am reluctant to invest in a dedicated tool if I can get good results with what I have.

Syflex or Marvelous Designer is the best.
    Bullet is ok, but nothing fantastic.

ClothFX can jitter, but there are ways.

LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

For my own experience, I say Marvelous Designer. Syflex is very picky, and one wrong click you have to start all over. I havent tried Blender's cloth, so cant say on that.
    LW's ancient clothfx gets unpredictable, and not in the happy accident kinda way..more the clear scene kinda way.
    Rob Depew
    Modeler/Animator/Editor
    Web Portfolio
    My Patreon
    YouTube
    Lightwave3D 2019, RF10, Gaea and more..
    Threadripper 32 core , 48gb, GTX-1070
    Asus 752vt i7 2.6 x 4, 48gb, GTX-970

Unfortunately, it can be easier to make a simulation in MD than using Syflex - faster settings, more predictable results, faster calculation. For not very complex simulations, you can use ClothFX or Bullet. But for more complex project Marvelous Designer is the best choice.

an important thing in Syflex is to not scrub the timeline backwards, it will give an error in the simulation.
    (was this what you referred to Rob ? / Dmitry ?)

For example, now I have a job - to make 3000 frames of an actor’s rotoscoping with clothes simulation. I tried ClothFX, Syflex and even Bullet, but even when I managed to set up a simulation for more or less correct behavior of clothes, the calculation speed turned out to be about 5-10 times longer than when using MD. Despite the fact that the settings in the MD do not take as much time as similar tools in the LW.
    (yes, the inability to run the simulation in Syflex backwards is very uncomfortable).

Maybe I should look into a trial of Marvelous Designer if I can’t make do with bullet. Seems like that is the way to go.

Blenders cloth is better than Lw's cloth and bullet but I don't think anything beats MD or Houdini.

Timeline scrubbing as well as the need to select objects in a particular order for it to work..if you muck that up you have to start from scratch...at least with the demo version I was trying. Looked promising, but just too finicky for me.
    Rob Depew
    Modeler/Animator/Editor
    Web Portfolio
    My Patreon
    YouTube

Although I don't think its the ideal solution, Bullet + Metalink would be my default workflow if I wanted to stick to native Lightwave. Metalink has vastly improved over the years, and it doesn't require you to bake out your animation anymore. If you find yourself doing a lot of clothing sim projects though, pick up syflex as its about 10 times faster and computes per-frame instead of the entire timeline.

I've heard good things about marvelous designer as well, but its not integrated into Lightwave as a plugin.
    Professional-level 3d training: Ryan's Lightwave Learning
    Plugin Developer: RR Tools for Lightwave

I've heard good things about marvelous designer as well, but its not integrated into Lightwave as a plugin.
    yes, it's a bit of a minus having to go back<>forth for cloth simulations, especially regarding tweaks / later on fixes.

for other effects, ClothFX shouldn't be neglected, as it has very nice wind controls. (much better than Sy/MD/Bullet)

personally i liked Syflex, and will explore it further.

ClothFX would be great, if they updated it, specially if they could make it work with the new dynamics. But it is far too slow at simulation.
    Rob Depew
    Modeler/Animator/Editor
    Web Portfolio
    My Patreon
    YouTube

yup slow, and often flickers. for lowres it works ok, but not so much for hires clothing.

or blankets / flags / experimental stuff

Last edited by erikals; 12-04-2019 at 07:25 PM.

Bullet + meta-link has thus far given me the best internal results. Bullet is just so damn finicky to get right and avoid jumping vertices, particularly in situations where there is compression such as under the arms. I have tried clothfx as well, thankfully it is pretty easy to swap between the two sim models. but clothfx doesn’t produce results that are quite as good as bullet. And forget about self collision, neither of them seems capable of handling that well enough. I have toyed with the idea of applying metamorphic after the sim results in the modifiers to fix any intersections, sort of like an internal chronosculpt, and that might work.

And forget about self collision, (Bullet Clothfx) neither of them seems capable of handling that well enough.
    yep.