Thread: Setting limits with Position params

Setting limits with Position params

I'm trying to set positional limits for some bones used on wt. mapped geometry. They're simply sliding some shutters & doors on single axis. The sliding part all works fine but I'd like to put some Stops in.

Thinking back, I guess I've never had need to set a position limit before & I've never had issue setting rotational limits. But I'm not grasping something with setting of position limits for some reason. The -1 to 1 thing has me confused largely & how that correlates to X-pos for example. Wiki docs describe rotational aspects but are scant else wise, & haven't searched for vids yet.

I'm sure there are a myriad of ways to accomplish this, but this is a pretty basic thing I'd like to understand & hopefully not have to do battle with it each time I have need of this function.
    "Never be a cat in a cartoon. Never." Chief Wiggum

The Min and Max are whatever you want to set. They are -1 to 1 by default to indicate a 2m limit. Make a room and ad a chair object. Now set the position limits for the chair to only be in inside the room. It's quite easy once you get going

B
    PS. You can set the limits on a null and set the bones to "same as item" to copy the null)
    Ben Vost - NewTek LightWave 3D development
    LightWave 3D Trial Edition
    AMD Threadripper 1950X, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 32GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (4GB and 768 CUDA cores) and GTX 1080 (8GB and 2560 CUDA cores) driver version 430.86
    AMD FX8350 4.2 GHz, Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium 64-bit, 16GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (416.34, 4GB and 768 CUDA cores)
    Dell Server, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Xeon E3-1220 @3.10 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Quadro K620
    Laptop with Intel i7, nVidia Quadro 2000Mw/ 2GB (377.83 and 192 CUDA cores), Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 8GB RAM
    Mac Mini 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 10.10.3

Thanks BeeVee. I got it working just this morning.

The UI could use a bit of TLC. It doesn't respect the units set in Preferences so only works with meters, nor let you do conversions in the requestor box as most of the other panels do.

For setting Rotation limits, there are hotkeys {} for transferring the value set in the viewport so you've a visual guide to set the min & max in the panel. Those don't work for position apparently. Are there equivalents?

Interesting! The interface hasn't been updated for a long time. Send a bug report for the things like conversion and math. Those should work, it wouldn't be a feature request.

B
    Ben Vost - NewTek LightWave 3D development
    LightWave 3D Trial Edition
    AMD Threadripper 1950X, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 32GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (4GB and 768 CUDA cores) and GTX 1080 (8GB and 2560 CUDA cores) driver version 430.86
    AMD FX8350 4.2 GHz, Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium 64-bit, 16GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (416.34, 4GB and 768 CUDA cores)
    Dell Server, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Xeon E3-1220 @3.10 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Quadro K620
    Laptop with Intel i7, nVidia Quadro 2000Mw/ 2GB (377.83 and 192 CUDA cores), Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 8GB RAM
    Mac Mini 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 10.10.3

Quote Originally Posted by BeeVee View Post
    Interesting! The interface hasn't been updated for a long time. Send a bug report for the things like conversion and math. Those should work, it wouldn't be a feature request.

B
    OK. Good to know. I'll check a few other things in the Motion Panel while I'm at it then.