Thread: What's the best way to have full control over the shape of Metaballs

Exclamation What's the best way to have full control over the shape of Metaballs

Hi,

how are you LightWavers hope you are great, I am searching for a way to create a cinematic effect sorts like the following you see here I made the footage but I need more control over the shape of the liquid, something like making it morph into a human or a creature, but I can't do this without being creative and pulling my hair.

the footage you see has been made by creating a single metaball object with seperate metaball masses and attaching a bone on each metaball mass, then animating each mass seperatly after changing the subdivision order of the object to last.

check the other video on youtube rendered as NewTek forum only permits one video per post.

https://youtu.be/KO_BbxLM9x8

1-my question is how could I gain full controll over the shape of metaballs to make a rail of liquid shapeshift to any object I want say like a human or a creature?

I can use morph maps but not sure its the right way any old timers here who had worked in the film industry can help?I would really appreciate any help.

2-Also how could I freeze and bake the animation of those metaballs to export to other applications like Maya for example?

thank you
    Last edited by quakebox; 12-01-2019 at 06:06 AM.

If you are using lightwave 2019 you might want to consider using an open vdb object instead. Then you will have much more control, and can easily export the result.

Quote Originally Posted by hypersuperduper View Post
    If you are using lightwave 2019 you might want to consider using an open vdb object instead. Then you will have much more control, and can easily export the result.
    I am considering to upgrade just for the PBR renderer. but not now I am using 11.6, OpenVDB, seems like a nice feature but there must be old tricks to this problem I will research and post the solution here if someone has a solution please help.

hi,

Metaballs is darn hard to control from what i recall.

use HyperVoxels instead,
    or the Hurley UP plugin
    or LightWave 2019 VDB
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

You could do everything in reverse. Object to fluid, and then play in backwards. You could also add variation to the fluid stage to make the transformation seem more complex (e.g add a wind effector).

I also believe a full fluid simulation would look best.

Basic example of melting:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	angel.png 
Views:	20 
Size:	548.9 KB 
ID:	146334

Agreed, quickest solution would be to reverse it without making the setup more complicated.

System: AMD Ryzen 2700, 16GB, RX 570 x2, Win 10

https://www.deepfxworld.com

I see your Deep Rising plugin is coming along darkChief...  
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

I would say definitely go for 2019 for this. The OpenVDB tools mean you can have the kind of control you want.

B
    Ben Vost - NewTek LightWave 3D development
    LightWave 3D Trial Edition
    AMD Threadripper 1950X, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 32GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (4GB and 768 CUDA cores) and GTX 1080 (8GB and 2560 CUDA cores) driver version 430.86
    AMD FX8350 4.2 GHz, Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium 64-bit, 16GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (416.34, 4GB and 768 CUDA cores)
    Dell Server, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Xeon E3-1220 @3.10 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Quadro K620
    Laptop with Intel i7, nVidia Quadro 2000Mw/ 2GB (377.83 and 192 CUDA cores), Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 8GB RAM
    Mac Mini 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 10.10.3