Thread: Is a mixed pc and mac renderfarm possible?

Is a mixed pc and mac renderfarm possible?

Someone offered me some used mac blades. My whole setup is with PC. I was wondering if it is possible to mix those two and run render nodes on a mac with a pc.
    Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Dennik View Post
    Someone offered me some used mac blades. My whole setup is with PC. I was wondering if it is possible to mix those two and run render nodes on a mac with a pc.
    Any ideas?
    why not?
    the only problem is about external plugin, if avaible for both platform and if cpu are so long different, in past i remember some difference between cpu, but i talk 10-15 years ago, recently i not see special problems. Check if is a good deal : power of cpu against energy consuming vs the use of online renderfarm.
    Danger! Mad Scientist at work

I'm a mad genius, a mad scientist, someone like dr. jeckill and frankestein with a bit of Bugs Bunny.

In Lightwave, yes.
    Professional-level 3d training: Ryan's Lightwave Learning
    Plugin Developer: RR Tools for Lightwave

Quote Originally Posted by pixelinfected View Post
    in past i remember some difference between cpu, but i talk 10-15 years ago,
    I think what you are remembering was the difference in Celeron and Pentium chips resulted in different handling of floating point computations that would result in a flicker of renders when assembled. I think someone found a solution in baking out the lights as a work around. But, as you said, this was quite a few years ago. Not sure what current situation is.

Mac ‘blades’ havn’t been made for a long time.
    The earlier models where PowerPC, so will not work, later models where intel cpu’s.
    Also different models will only support upto a certain version of MacOS, which may not support your version of LW.
    Find out what the spec is, depends what you have and which version of LW your using.
    Last edited by Markc; 12-01-2019 at 04:46 PM.
    Mac Pro (2010) OSX 10.13 RX580 Pulse LW2019 LWCad 2018