Thread: Taming the ies

Taming the ies

I thought I had placing ies lights into geometry using Luxigons, etc. semi figured out, but as it turns out that was largely a coinkydink. Works fine if the lights are pointing straight down but if they're angled, not so much. I've some focused trac lighting this time that I'd rather not have to do entirely by hand.

Here's what I mean: A test with an exploded box & Luxigons created in Modeler. First using the default distant light, next a spot light,& then a MR-16 ies profile. First two make sense.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DistantLight2Luxigon.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	172.0 KB 
ID:	146324

Name:	SpotLight2Luxigon.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	247.1 KB 
ID:	146325

Name:	Photometrict2LuxigonB.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	185.8 KB 
ID:	146326

Although I guess there's a method of some sort in their madness, I've no idea what the ies lights are aligning to, let alone how to control it. I've always found them quirky. Their on-screen overlay fortunately shows where they're pointing, but not if you try to F5 view thru the light as you can with the native lights that have direction.

Any suggestions or techniques?
    "Never be a cat in a cartoon. Never." Chief Wiggum

Its just a quirk in how IES lights work. Been like that since their inception in LW. Would be nice if they could correct this.
    Tim Parsons
    Technical Designer
    Sauder Woodworking Co.

http://www.sauder.com

Sorry for speaking of DP Lights, because not compatible with LW2018+,
    but Web Light had a way to change axis orientation of IES,
    at least if this is efficient for this case in 2015, push a feature request for native IES Light?

Denis.

Hey Denis. Still miss your DP Lights in 2019.

So the issue is more on Newtek's end rather than something in the ies file itself? I'll follow up on that then since lighting is a majority of what I do.

Tim,

I sort of got a technique working using nGons made from the fixtures, then "Luxigoned". That gives me the primary position & aim, I then only have to adjust Pitch visually. I'm not ambitious enough yet to break out the geom for the lamps so they themselves are rigged.

OK. Time to go get some turkey.

Thanks.
    "Never be a cat in a cartoon. Never." Chief Wiggum

Quote Originally Posted by Ma3rk View Post
    Hey Denis. Still miss your DP Lights in 2019.

So the issue is more on Newtek's end rather than something in the ies file itself? I'll follow up on that then since lighting is a majority of what I do.

Tim,

I sort of got a technique working using nGons made from the fixtures, then "Luxigoned". That gives me the primary position & aim, I then only have to adjust Pitch visually. I'm not ambitious enough yet to break out the geom for the lamps so they themselves are rigged.

OK. Time to go get some turkey.

Thanks.
    I got shouted down when i said that. Many were saying you dont need it because LW has it natively. However i always like the way Denis implemented it in his DP Lights. I really would like to see them resurrected.
    Dell XPS 15
    15.6-inch (3840 x 2160) 4K 282ppi IPS LCD
    Intel i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    NVidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
    1TB SDD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 2019.03

Very nice Laptop