Thread: NDI over VPN with two Fritz-Boxes

NDI over VPN with two Fritz-Boxes

Hi.

I have a problem with the connection of two computers via VPN to get there with NDI the camera from PC 1 to PC 2.

I'll describe the structure very briefly:

The first camera is connected to PC 1. The PC 1 (IP: 192.168.178.10) is connected to the FritzBox 1 (IP: 192.168.178.1). This is via VPN tunnel (manufactured by the FritzBox 1 to the other FritzBox 2) with another FritzBox 2 (IP: 192.168.10.1) connected. At the FritzBox 2 is a PC 2 (IP: 192.168.10.20) connected. On PC 2, another camera is installed. On PC 2 should then run the StreamLabs OBS software and I would like to receive there via NDI input the camera 1 synonymous on the StreamLabs - OBS. But I do not see the PC 1.

A connection from the tunnel between the two networks (192.168.178.1 and 192.168.10.1) respectively .0 at the end, is definitely available. Printers from both networks can be accessed from any PC. So the tunnel works fine.

How can I get it because that the camera 1 from the PC 1 via the FritzBox bin to PC 2 can send your data?

I wanted to get the screen of a remote computer or the camera on a remote computer on my streaming PC (PC 2).

Do I have to stop something? At the Fritz boxes or at the NDI plugins?

In the same network, so if I would infect the same computer s.die same FritzBox, then I immediately with my streaming PC PC 1 in the selection list and I can also directly to the camera, or access the streamed signal. That works ... but as soon as I have the VPN tunnel of the Fritz boxes in between, it is not more ...

Do I have to adjust in the Fritz boxes that something should be rerouted? Any ports or something?

And if so, how do I do that? Or can I enter the destination address of the NDI tool somewhere?

The following software is used:

PC 1:
    OBS Studio in the latest version (24.0.3)
    NDI 4 runtime
    NDI 4.7.0 (Installed by Installer)

PC 2:
    Streamlabs OBS (Version 0.18.5)
    NDI 4 runtime
    NDI 4.7.0 (Installed by Installer)

Fritz boxes (7490 and 7560) each have the latest version on board ...

Can someone help me please? Or is it not technically possible to show the camera or the stream via a VPN tunnel?

Thanks in advance.

greeting
    Markus
    Attached Files Attached Files

The VPN probably doesn't support multicast data (most don't), so NDI discovery will not operate thru it. You can add a remote device via IP address using NDI Access Manager, which hopefully will allow communication thru the tunnel.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by kanep View Post
    The VPN probably doesn't support multicast data (most don't), so NDI discovery will not operate thru it. You can add a remote device via IP address using NDI Access Manager, which hopefully will allow communication thru the tunnel.
    Also be prepared for performance issues. Many small hardware VPN devices will really struggle to maintain the bandwidth of NDI through a VPN path.

Hi.

Thanks for the information. I'll look at the Access Manager today and test it. I think that will be exactly the solution.

I use for the VPN tunnel a FritzBox. I hope this will have enough resources for the connection to work.

Thanks for your help.
    greeting
    Markus