Thread: Burning Fuse in Unity 3D

Burning Fuse in Unity 3D

I wanted to have a dynamite object in a game that I am developing in Unity 3D.

I want the dynamite to have a burning fuse.

I'm new to using Unity 3D but my understanding is that I can use Unity's Particle system to make the burning part of the fuse.

But I also want the fuse to burn way as it burns (as you would expect it to do).

What would be best way to achieve this using Lightwave and Unity 3D?

If it was for Lightwave only I guess I might use an animated texture as a clip map on fuse, or perhaps a morph? But I am not sure what would work in Unity, and what part needs to be prepared in Lightwave?

first thing first - do you have LWS or LWO importer for unity

I have been getting my LW objects into Unity by using the built in ability in Modeler to save FBX files.

TrueArt Support
    If your way to import LWO in Unity allows importing morphs, you could make two or couple intermediate morphs where fuse get shorter and shorter.

Thank you for your suggestion. I am not sure if Unity would support the morphed object, but your suggestion gave me an idea to do it simpler. Looking at my object I decided I will just model a separate fuse/wick object, and then I will animate it physically sliding into the bomb object which hopefully will look like the fuse is burning. I will parent a Unity based particle system to the end of fuse.

Quote Originally Posted by ac3dny View Post
    Thank you for your suggestion. I am not sure if Unity would support the morphed object, but your suggestion gave me an idea to do it simpler. Looking at my object I decided I will just model a separate fuse/wick object, and then I will animate it physically sliding into the bomb object which hopefully will look like the fuse is burning. I will parent a Unity based particle system to the end of fuse.
    If there's any sort of visible pattern/texture on the fuse, that approach won't look right: The fuse texture will also appear to slide towards the dynamite as the fuse "burns", instead of the texture remaining still as you'd expect.

Morph the fuse shorter over time is probably the easiest if you can get it into Unity. Just keep the UVs relative positions the same in the morph, to avoid texture "movement" (as above).
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.4 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),32GB RAM, NV 980ti

Quote Originally Posted by ac3dny View Post
    I am not sure if Unity would support the morphed object
    Unity does support morphed objects. In Unity they are called Blend Shapes: https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/BlendShapes.html

And yeah LWO Importer or Lightwave Importer would make it a lot easier to import and work with them.