Thread: NDI 4 Tools - Adobe CC Plugins - Character Animator not showing NDI as an option

NDI 4 Tools - Adobe CC Plugins - Character Animator not showing NDI as an option

Hello all,

I have Character Animator installed through Creative Cloud on Windows 10.

Downloaded Newtek NDI for Creative Cloud from https://www.newtek.com/software/adobe-creative-cloud/.

(and yes, I made sure to include the options for CC, I/O, etc. - screenshot attached)

The NDI option just will not show up under Live Output under Preferences in Character Animator.

I've looked around for that NewTek_NDI-Transmit.prm and can't find it anywhere, and I'm having no luck finding documentation of what the plugin should be.

I've uninstalled NewTek, rebooted, re-downloaded (making SURE the CC options were selected) and re-installed. Still no luck.

NDI is working - I can run the test broadcast, and I can even get the test broadcast to come in as a source on streamlabs OBS.... I just can't get Character Animator to give it as an option. Seems like it must be a problem with a missing plugin but I can't find it (or documentation for it). Help!

Specs: Character Animator 3.0

Windows 10

NDI loaded 11/24/19.

This Adobe forum thread seems to suggest that I just need to find NewTek_NDI_Transmit.prm.... I can't. Other folks in the same thread seem to be having the same issue.
    https://community.adobe.com/t5/chara...0760552#M11495

Can anyone tell me what the plugin for Character Animator is called and where it should be located? Is it the same NewTek_NDI_Transmit.prm? If so - what to do if it's not coming through on the installer?

My next step is to install Premiere just to test out if I can get an NDI output from there. Beyond that I was going to try it on Mac Instead.
    Happy to provide any other info or screenshots that might be helpful.
    Thanks so much and Happy Thanksgiving to those who celebrate.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NDIInstallshowingchecks.JPG 
Views:	25 
Size:	39.4 KB 
ID:	146321
    Last edited by eeeniebean; 11-27-2019 at 03:58 PM. Reason: forgot attachment

The NDI plug-in on Windows is located in "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Common\Plug-ins\7.0\MediaCore"

I currently don't have Character Animator installed, but last time I tried it I don't recall having to do anything extra to make it work. The same plug-in for Premiere should also work with After Effects and Character Animator.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Hi Kanep,
    Thanks so much for your reply (and speedy too).

Yes, what you're describing about not needing to do any extra steps to make it work is exactly what I've seen in all the Adobe Character Animator youtube tutorials. (like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Va3...ature=youtu.be starting at 6:40)
    They just install the plugin, start up Character animator and the option appears. Not for me though, unfortunately.

The only thing in my MediaCore folder is a text file called dummy that just includes the text "#Dummy file installed in the MediaCore folder." Screenshot attached. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mediacoredirectory.JPG 
Views:	18 
Size:	53.7 KB 
ID:	146322
    I don't find it anywhere on a filesystem search either.

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by kanep View Post
    The NDI plug-in on Windows is located in "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Common\Plug-ins\7.0\MediaCore"

I currently don't have Character Animator installed, but last time I tried it I don't recall having to do anything extra to make it work. The same plug-in for Premiere should also work with After Effects and Character Animator.

AHA!
    I installed Adobe Premiere. (Previously I only had Character Animator and Photoshop installed)
    Rebooted.
    Uninstalled NewTek Tools.
    Rebooted
    Reinstalled NewTek Tools (still making sure to select the Adobe CC options)
    et voila! NewTek_NDI_Transmit now appears in the MediaCore folder!

Now to test character animator!

and.... .it works! NDI output is now listed as an option under Live Output.

I suspect the installer somehow doesn't detect Character Animator as a option that needs the plugin.... but if Premiere or After Effects is installed - the plugin goes in and works for Character ANimator. Thankfully I have the full subscription for CC, so I can just install Premiere even though I'm not using it. I'm betting this is the problem the other folks on the adobe forum were having - they probably didn't have Premiere or After Effects installed.

Thanks so much for your help, Kane.
    E

Shoot, I'm dealing with this issue and no order of installing is working for me. Is there any way to just get the .prm file and copy it to my mediacore folder?