Thread: Ryzen or Threadripper cpu

Ryzen or Threadripper cpu

Even after reading posts, i still am confused re the difference between a ryzen and a threadripper cpu..

I am running LW 2015.3 on an i7-4770 on win 7 x64 gtx 1070 16gb ram...and wish to upgrade my pc to amd.

I assume w10 for the new amd cpus as i read somewhere that using win 7 x64 is not recommended for the new amd's..so what should i purchase to use LW, a ryzen or a threadripper?

Looking at a ryzen 9 3900x. Thank you.

i'd go for ryzen 9.

cheaper in regards to performance/price.

...Threadripper Rocks tho'
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Ryzen is more mainstream Threadripper is more for multythreading. Ryzen tends to have higher clock counts, Threadripper tends to have more cores. For CPU rendering Threadripper is the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by trang View Post
    Even after reading posts, i still am confused re the difference between a ryzen and a threadripper cpu..

I am running LW 2015.3 on an i7-4770 on win 7 x64 gtx 1070 16gb ram...and wish to upgrade my pc to amd.

I assume w10 for the new amd cpus as i read somewhere that using win 7 x64 is not recommended for the new amd's..so what should i purchase to use LW, a ryzen or a threadripper?

Looking at a ryzen 9 3900x. Thank you.
    There is not much of an upgrade path from the machine you have, you will need a new mainboard, new RAM, most likely a new PSU, new cooling and it's probably worth also having a new M.2 SSD installed.

Since it's best for stability and performance to have the exact same type of RAM, I would just get 64GB from beginning.

Note that for the Threadripper 3960X and 3970X, very expensive mainboards are required. Also they require a more intensive cooling solution. I will go for a 3900X or 3950X system.

Quote Originally Posted by Danner View Post
    For CPU rendering Threadripper is the way to go.
    Sure it's faster but at what cost.
    Ryzen 9 is the way to go if if you're going for performance vs price.
    If you got the cash however (and quite a bit of it) yes go with Threadripper.

i will bite the bullet and probably go with ryzen 9 3900x with 16gb ddr4 2666..no real world diff with the ddr4 3200 unless somebody here says otherwise. Good value and Good bang for the buck..but what x570 mobo though? was thinking of asus tuf or any other suggestions?

hi, a cheap one is MSI B450M Bazooka V2
    but it is Very important to choose the right board if you go for a 450 board.
    use google and Youtube to check tests.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...0x+motherboard
    Last edited by erikals; 12-01-2019 at 06:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by trang View Post
    i will bite the bullet and probably go with ryzen 9 3900x with 16gb ddr4 2666..no real world diff with the ddr4 3200 unless somebody here says otherwise. Good value and Good bang for the buck..but what x570 mobo though? was thinking of asus tuf or any other suggestions?
    you should not cheap out on the ram for ryzen, and price for ram today is not that bad> https://premiumbuilds.com/ram/best-ram-for-ryzen-3000/

If you earn money on your 3d, I would go threadripper 3960, its not bad price for the amount of power
    I'm a Norwegian photographer, check out my web site www.fotofashion.no

Quote Originally Posted by Fotofashion View Post
    you should not cheap out on the ram for ryzen, and price for ram today is not that bad> https://premiumbuilds.com/ram/best-ram-for-ryzen-3000/

If you earn money on your 3d, I would go threadripper 3960, its not bad price for the amount of power
    Yes indeed! And 16GB? It should be 64GB at least for a modern workstation. If you use displacement maps for example it can quickly require a lot of memory.

yup, 3960 is a Monster. ...