Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: See How The Mandalorians Groundbreaking Stagecraft Technology Probably Works

See How The Mandalorians Groundbreaking Stagecraft Technology Probably Works

Jon Favreau has been pushing the boundaries of filmmaking technology for years, and his new Disney+ Star Wars series The Mandalorian is the latest example of the director seeing an opportunity to redefine whats possible. He and Lucasfilm have established what theyre calling Stagecraft technology, which essentially allows for imagery to be projected onto ultra-high resolution screens that wrap around the sets, enveloping actors in alien locations without having to rely on green screens.

While we have yet to see a behind-the-scenes featurette from The Mandalorian giving insight into what that exact technology looks like, heres a video that approximates the experience.

This video from Unreal Engine seems to feature most of the concepts that have been described for Stagecraft technology. Take a look.

https://www.slashfilm.com/stagecraft...9yX-XLBDSXuHP0
    This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government, CG Networks or CGTALK.com. The opinions expressed on this posting are on my own volition.

https://qz.com/1754288/disney-is-try...e-mandalorian/
    The company has been testing Stagecraft for five years—most recently on the Star Wars spin-off movie Solo in 2018. But The Mandalorian, the flagship series on Disney’s new streaming service, likely marks the most extensive use yet of the new system.

The entertainment blog Slashfilm attended a “Women of Lucasfilm” panel this week, where Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy described how Stagecraft was used to film The Mandalorian, as well as how she believes it will revolutionize the way filmmakers plan and execute complicated shoots in the future.

Stagecraft’s chief innovation is that it can project a 3D visual environment around the actors that changes in real time to match the perspective of the camera. When the camera moves, the background moves too, simulating the experience of filming in a different location. It’s a significant upgrade from green-screen technology, which requires the filmmakers layer in a static image or footage after filming in front of the blank backdrop.
    This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government, CG Networks or CGTALK.com. The opinions expressed on this posting are on my own volition.

Awesome Tech!   

Saw it some time back, reminds me of the technology used in Oblivion.

LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    Awesome Tech!   

Saw it some time back, reminds me of the technology used in Oblivion.
    Yup and gravity used a similar method for lighting the live action..
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EUL4y9ouU0

ILM is usin this for a lot of the enviroment work on the Madalorian..
    The thing is that he ILM method looks like a freaking HOLODECK. This makes working with traditional composites look like dealing with a model t.

my favorite is this, the LYTRO cinema camera, that creates a digital realtime GreenScreen...  

Last edited by erikals; 11-27-2019 at 09:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by robertoortiz View Post
    ILM is using this for a lot of the environment work on the Mandalorian..
    The thing is that he ILM method looks like a freaking HOLODECK. This makes working with traditional composites look like dealing with a model t.
    ILM video just released >

ILM video just released
    Here's an article with good info...

https://ascmag.com/articles/the-mandalorian

I'm sure that it's pleasing for the actors and getting "free" interactive lighting. It's a great process if the production has A.) everything planned out perfectly B.) unlimited money and C.) plenty of lead time before shooting, as it's essentially "half or more of post production ready before production".

Most productions wouldn't be able to hit one of those conditions, let alone all three.

ILM video just released >

Im happy to see this evolved to what it is now.
    I recall many years agom I was thinking why they havent come up with this tech?..and I had some ideas in my mind about it, at that time I couldnt find anything related to it, though It must have been in many peoples mind..and secretly working on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Imageshoppe View Post
    Here's an article with good info...

https://ascmag.com/articles/the-mandalorian

I'm sure that it's pleasing for the actors and getting "free" interactive lighting. It's a great process if the production has A.) everything planned out perfectly B.) unlimited money and C.) plenty of lead time before shooting, as it's essentially "half or more of post production ready before production".

Most productions wouldn't be able to hit one of those conditions, let alone all three.
    Hey, awesome link!   

thought this image also gave away the other challenge, less talked about, having to blend the sideview / topview (walls/roof)

https://cms-assets.theasc.com/Mandol...20200205151815

Yes, agree, surely looks to need lots (tons) of planning & cash.

Hey, awesome link!   

thought this image also gave away the other challenge, less talked about, having to blend the sideview / topview (walls/roof)

https://cms-assets.theasc.com/Mandol...20200205151815

Yes, agree, surely looks to need lots (tons) of planning & cash.
    Rebuilding my room right now..I gotta find some nice views though.. sunsets, clouds or Por..H..what would I choose

It was reaching the stage where top pro quality tools were getting affordable for the average Joe in terms of camera image quality, lighting, software and computing power, but it seems this level of infrastructure has widened the gulf again...or am I wrong ? I am generally aware of pro level projectors, but those big LED screens fox me - does anyone know what models they are ?

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    Im happy to see this evolved to what it is now.
    I recall many years agom I was thinking why they havent come up with this tech?..and I had some ideas in my mind about it, at that time I couldnt find anything related to it, though It must have been in many peoples mind..and secretly working on it.
     

they were on to it, but never took it that far, Cameron used lots of those tricks, in Aliens were Ripley takes the elevator, it is a film projection background.  

also see >

Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    ... but those big LED screens fox me - does anyone know what models they are ?
    not quite sure, but reminds me of something we used at a former Digital Map Display company i worked at,
    something like this >
    https://get-t.net/product/led-cells-...-led-meter-100

if it is that tech, it would cost them,... quite a lot. the modules are also quite heavy.

i've seen them in rgb too.
    Last edited by erikals; 02-20-2020 at 05:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    Rebuilding my room right now..I gotta find some nice views though.. sunsets, clouds or Por..H..what would I choose
    making a night-sky in the ceiling would be Uber Awesome!   

Personally, I can't wait to see high density LED's used to coat a planetarium dome. The current tech of multiple rectilinear overlapping and blended projections is flawed at best, as those blend lines are never really perfect... if the non-illuminated state of the LED's was a dark/black finish, it would solve the greatest issue with dome projections, which is reflected illumination cross talk across the dome from a bright area into a dark area. This cross-talk can make uniformly bright video projections very low in contrast as the dome is essentially a giant white matte bounce card... don't know what the pixel density would need to be on a 17m diameter dome to achieve the equivalent of a 4K or 8K dome master, but it would be darn high and darn expensive...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast