Thread: Separate Stream and H.264 recording capability, please.

Separate Stream and H.264 recording capability, please.

Please make the start/stop controls for streaming and recording h.264 mp4 files independent.
    The lack of this feature has required me to have an extra device when it used to be all-in-one with older tricasters.
    Thank you!

I want to second this. Who ever thought it was a good idea to lump those together, needs a slap in the face.. with a chair. You essentially made the record-option useless with this change. Especially when there are no other settings under rec to determine the quality of the recording. I mean, 100Gb for one hour of video. Sure the quality is top, but maybe some of us want less?

Sorry for the aggressive message, but try to stand in my shoes, explaining to new employees that with this new system you need to remember to click "encode" and not "rec", and then eventually having to deal with the massive recording when they still clicked "rec" instead because it's more logical.

Quote Originally Posted by rantala.vesa View Post
    I want to second this. Who ever thought it was a good idea to lump those together, needs a slap in the face.
    Well, tell us how you really feel.

There are often things involved in decisions that are not obvious. One of them, in this case, relates to the fact that the entire H.264 encoding system has changed from earlier editions, greatly reducing system resource demands while providing better quality. (The former factor contributes to the insane number of things TriCaster can do without choking, while the latter benefit is obvious.)

Just as an historical footnote, not so terribly long ago on the geologic timescale we were recording very high quality uncompressed SD, taking massive and very expensive space. At the time, MPEG-2 was viewed as suitable for less worthy purposes only. HD came along, and overnight everyone suddenly lowered their standards, now finding it nigh unto miraculous to be able to capture HD in such a miniscule profile; and H.264 became the choice for lesser uses. But now, despite massive drive space being completely affordable, we feel MPEG-2 is bloated. Funny how the world turns, isn't it. (I'm well aware that the smaller file sizes serve a number of completely valid purposes, just commenting on the nature of digital life.)

This said, we are aware of this request, and considering options to try to resolve it in a friendlier way.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Cool...

NDI Camera
    TriCaster Mini Advanced Edition
    Lightwave 11
    SpeedEdit 2.5

Music by www.soundtraxxmusic.com

Registered User Red Dog Records's Avatar
    +1 on this
    We will sometimes broadcast an all-day event (10+ Hours) of multiple presentations. It is much easier to only record the presentations we need to archive - without having to use an external device.
    Thanks for listening!
    Tricaster 460AE3 + LC-11
    Flypack: Router, switch, backup encoders, captioning devices, audio mixer, UPS, etc
    Cameras: Sony Z280, Z150, Spark & Bird Dog converters
    http://reddogrecords.com

I know I have posted about this else where and pretty sure I have a fogbug suggestion or two but figured I would drop it here. Ultimately I would love to see this treated in a way where the current/main button would fire all configured streaming destinations/recorders. You could however click the gear and be greeted with a similar window to now but with an additional start/stop button for each configured destination. A meter next to it to show stream health when going to remote destinations over RTMP would be cool.

The main button could go Blue when everything is activate or have a different color when only a portion of them are activate and then finally a flashing color for when one of the streams has had an error and stopped. I have had that happen due to various network events and my only option at that point is to stop my good local h264 recording to restart the stream. I have also had one stream go down while the other was OK when going to two destinations. To fix it I needed stop the good stream to resume the other.

Recently I saw a suggestion to just use the master records to export an h264 after the fact. I tried that this weekend but I was able to pack up 4 cameras and the rest of my show. When I came back to the TC1 the 3hr recording was only a small way into export process. Im pretty sure it was going to take more than an hour to complete so I dont consider that a workable solution when most clients are looking for an h264 file to drop onto a USB key or upload to some place right after the event.

+1 on this
    Juha Koivisto
    TriCaster 860 AE3, 3Play 425

Hello
    it is possible to have separate streaming buttons .. if I do 4 streaming how can I stop the first and third and not the second and fourth? it would be VERY but VERY useful to have in the file recording the tabs of the open streaming and those that I can close if they are active .. as in all wirecast style software ... there is a solution or do you think to integrate it soon ????

thanks
    Lamerweb.com
    Tricaster 850
    Tricaster TC1
    Spark SDI and HDMI

Quote Originally Posted by lamerhouse344 View Post
    Hello
    it is possible to have separate streaming buttons .. if I do 4 streaming how can I stop the first and third and not the second and fourth? it would be VERY but VERY useful to have in the file recording the tabs of the open streaming and those that I can close if they are active .. as in all wirecast style software ... there is a solution or do you think to integrate it soon ????

thanks
    There are really only two streaming encoders, so I think you will not be able to stop "the first and third". I think you would need to use controls on the CDN's webpage to do this. We are, however, looking at allowing you to start/stop the two encoders separately, though.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")