Thread: Recording/Exporting h.264 files and streaming independently

Recording/Exporting h.264 files and streaming independently

Hi. We had various models of tricasters for many years and have finally just upgraded to the TC-1. The change of the h.264 recording from the record tab to the stream tab is a major disruption to our workflow. We have a regular event that requires that we stream non-stop, but also record shorter h.264 clips from numerous segments WITHOUT stoping the stream. This was always easy with every other model of Tricaster we have had since it was in the record tab. Now it seems this is impossible without stopping and starting the stream every time we need to record a clip. Anyone know a way we can still achieve what we need to do? We have even tried simply recording a higher quality format and then exporting those clips to h.264 clips but NONE of the presets in the export settings are stable or high quality enough as the mp4 files the Tricaster makes in the stream tab. To have to use a separate piece of gear to either stream or record the h.264 mp4s seems ridiculous considering we just dropped 20k on this and we have done it with older, cheaper models. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Newtek, please add this feature into any upcoming software revisions: to be able to control the stream and recording of h.264 files is very important. Thanks!

I understand what you are asking for overall, but I have a question about the export.

The export options will let you send out a H.264 encoded file while without having to stop recording or streaming. There is a 15 megabit export option which should be more than enough high quality for HD media. Can you explain what not stable or what export bitrate you are looking for?
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by kanep View Post
    I understand what you are asking for overall, but I have a question about the export.

The export options will let you send out a H.264 encoded file while without having to stop recording or streaming. There is a 15 megabit export option which should be more than enough high quality for HD media. Can you explain what not stable or what export bitrate you are looking for?
    Hi. Thanks for your reply. When I export to any of the preset options, the resulting video file is pixelated and poor visual quality, especially when scrubbing in a player. The mp4 files the stream tab creates (used to be the record tab in older units) looks far far superior. Clients have complained about my exported files already.
    Thanks for any help you can provide.

What TriCaster version are you running on the TC1?
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

What TriCaster version are you running on the TC1?
    How do I find out what version?

On the home screen, go to Help. Then on the right side, click on the 'About TriCaster' button. The build number will be listed at the top of the window.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Or, in the Live Desktop, press ALT + b, and then open the Dashboard's Notification panel to view the version entry.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Thanks guys.
    I will check again when I am in the office after the Thanksgiving break. We just bought it a couple weeks ago and have not updated it out of the box.
    Are you implyiing that it is possible I can update the software and the export settings will get better or something else will change?
    Thanks again.

Exporting takes time after the event especially if it was 3hrs long. Having a h264 ready to roll at the end is a great time/money saver. Often on events I am required to bring the stream up 1 hour before kick off meaning I have 1 hour of extra footage I don't need on the h264 for archive/web.

Quote Originally Posted by NYC248 View Post
    Thanks guys.
    I will check again when I am in the office after the Thanksgiving break. We just bought it a couple weeks ago and have not updated it out of the box.
    Are you implyiing that it is possible I can update the software and the export settings will get better or something else will change?
    Thanks again.
    I'm not sure, but when I did a sample 15Mb H.264 export, I certainly didn't seen anything about it that was low quality.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

I'm not sure, but when I did a sample 15Mb H.264 export, I certainly didn't seen anything about it that was low quality.
    Thanks again for this.

We are on build 7.0.190130C.
    When we export on any preset h.264 setting, the video look extremely pixelated when we scrub through on any player.