Thread: Wow! Really?

Wow! Really?

Tim Parsons
    Technical Designer
    Sauder Woodworking Co.

http://www.sauder.com

You know, even if Lightwave seem to have been more in the buzz around battlestar galactica,titanic, avatar...I believe it still have continued to have impact on movies and tv series..Among other things, and itīs record of previous history success is probably accounted for in the 360Quadrants methology, even if modo and blender has gained much more interest the latest years and stirred up withing the major league, it may still take some time before they gather their own history record.

Why Houdini isnīt there beats me though.

Lightwave rate as NR2, maybe once..but can be argued about as a current status.
    and Why are they refering to Pixelogic sculptris, while actually talking about zbrush?

And where do max fit in, not there?...something about it must have pulled down the rate enourmously.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Parsons View Post
    I'm not so sure about this.
    To me thats a pile of <insert word here>. Somebody found how to draw a magic quadrant, googling some software names and want to earn money from that.

- This '360 Quadrant' site is from Pune, India.
    - The visionary products ranking is a joke.
    - Cinema Prime is hardly used by any Cinema user and doesn't even exist anymore as product.
    - In the top ten of Animation software listed is Nvidia iRay (render engine).
    - Also as animation software listed are Sculptris, Magic 3D Maker, Adobe Dimensions etc. Go figure!

They don't even have a clue about the products they mention.

Well, i wouldn't be so hard to judge it, it is purely based on input data, not people, so in that regard it might not be too far off.

What that shows is what Prometheus mentions, namely that it is possibly based on buzz around battlestar galactica, titanic, avatar...

The conclusion they draw is off, but i feel those articles always are. [literally always]

Should we worry about LightWave making to the top of that list? nah...  

It basically means the name LightWave is still out there, and that can't be bad.

LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Quote Originally Posted by Marander View Post
    To me thats a pile of <insert word here>. Somebody found how to draw a magic quadrant, googling some software names and want to earn money from that.

- This '360 Quadrant' site is from Pune, India.
    - The visionary products ranking is a joke.
    - Cinema Prime is hardly used by any Cinema user and doesn't even exist anymore as product.
    - In the top ten of Animation software listed is Nvidia iRay (render engine).
    - Also as animation software listed are Sculptris, Magic 3D Maker, Adobe Dimensions etc. Go figure!

They don't even have a clue about the products they mention.
    Agreed 100%, it's meaningless. Didn't you notice the stuff about "The 360 Quadrants platform provides the most granular 3D animation software comparison between vendors"? Riiiight, and this comparison shows how closely they follow 3D products, really it does. The whole thing is clickbait to try and get 360 Quadrants more eyeballs, and they know nothing does that better that attacking/assuaging egos of rabid software fans -- and what's really shameful is that VFX-Online bought into it and republished it lending it further unearned credibility. It's a press release from 360 Quadrant via PR Newswire, aka it's B2B advertising and meaningless w.r.t. market data content.

They (360 Quadrants) have a vested fiscal interest in getting people to look at their comparisons. That means that, by definition, the contents of their comparisons do NOT qualify as "objective" by any means, the comparisons are "clickbait" --and thus intrinsically biased by 360 Quadrant's need to garner maximum eyeballs. That neither VFX-Online nor 360 Quadrants even note or call out such a huge conflict of interest raise lots of NASTY questions about whether and how VFX-Online vet their "content" (read as: others' advertising).

If folks here want to keep believing in it, even after being shown all the conflicts of interest present, and likely influencing the content, well, that's on them.
    Last edited by jwiede; 11-24-2019 at 06:21 PM.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.4 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti