Thread: Where do you get your 3D assets from?

Where do you get your 3D assets from?

Hi guys

I'm with a team building an asset library app. I know there are many asset providers out there already but I think there's room for a better product. For instance, many of them don't have an app/plugin that does the tedious work of downloading and creating materials. Not to mention, assets quality isn't always what it should be.

We're in the early stages of our service, designed especially for 3ds Max users who render with V-Ray and Corona but we'll be adding support for more apps. We are looking to learn more about how we can help architectural visualizers beat those crazy deadlines, and more specifically, we'd like to learn about assets. As an architectural visualizer freelancing or working at a studio, you probably purchase assets to populate scenes.

What sort of assets do you guys often find yourselves in need of?

What sort of assets do you most often purchase?

Some examples: very specific harder to find and unique assets, designer items, scene fillers, assets that are harder to model, scanned organic assets, materials etc.

I would be very grateful for your suggestions.
    Cheers

Peter
    GarageFarm.NET The Cheapest Render Farm - 20,000 cores and growing!
    Xesktop - Powerful GPU servers for rental

For me I always am looking for good quality plants. Another thing I have bought in the past that is hard to make is clothing - folded stacked clothes. The pieces I bought were really good - they had been scanned and then retopo'd with the scanned UV's intact. TBH as a Lightwave user there is almost no good LW specific content available and making some available probably wouldn't be a very good return on investment. Fortunately I have access to 3DS Max and can convert the millions of Max objects that are out there to .obj's or .FBX for import into Lightwave.
    Tim Parsons
    Technical Designer
    Sauder Woodworking Co.

http://www.sauder.com

Quite Megascans.

Interesting question Peter, and i do see more and more WEBs providing models but sadly it's mainly 3DSMAX stuff so for LWavers there is very little content drag and drop ready .
    Most of time i need designers furniture when working for architects and trees/foliage + cars and people. I use turobosquid, viz-people, vizpark, 3dsky, axyzdesign, cgaxis.

Are you going with in-house models only or you are open for collaboration with external modelers maybe ?
    RAM-Studio
    WS - Dual Xeon E5-2698v4/128GB/Win10x64/4xRTX 2080Ti
    My LWM Video Car Modeling Tutorial

Most recently I have been using 3Dsky for many of my assets. The assets have to be loaded in with fbx usually and then manually converted so they look good.
    Threadripper 2990WX, X399 MSI MEG Creation, 64GB 2400Mhz RAM, GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

https://www.dynamicrenderings.com/

Guys thank you for replys. Fro now we are starting with Max, I hope converting 3D scanned models to LW format won't be a problem.

Lewis - we are now working with in-house modelers. I guess at some point we will just mirror the assets to be usable in other applications.
    Cheers

Peter
    GarageFarm.NET The Cheapest Render Farm - 20,000 cores and growing!
    Xesktop - Powerful GPU servers for rental

Quote Originally Posted by Pete_GF View Post
    G............. I hope converting 3D scanned models to LW format won't be a problem.
    That depends on surfacing/render engine but I've seen lot of 3DSMAX models exported to FBX, OBJ and they are never converted good by just exporting from MAX so they always need manual resurfacing so be sure to check that if you plan to do it that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete_GF View Post
    Lewis - we are now working with in-house modelers. I guess at some point we will just mirror the assets to be usable in other applications.
    Cool, glad you have enough people to do all that in house but if you need extra help let me know, I've converted many MAX models to LW render and LW+Octane for Viz-Park and few other clients .
    RAM-Studio
    WS - Dual Xeon E5-2698v4/128GB/Win10x64/4xRTX 2080Ti
    My LWM Video Car Modeling Tutorial

Even if I find assets in .lwo format they are never surfaced properly or the way I want them surfaced. As long as I'm able to import them into Lightwave and scale, texture and surface them that's all that really matters to me. I rely on collada, obj and fbx formats for this reason.
    Threadripper 2990WX, X399 MSI MEG Creation, 64GB 2400Mhz RAM, GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

https://www.dynamicrenderings.com/

I've been using http://3dmdb.com/ which is a browser that links to many different asset providers. Mostly I try to find the free stuff in the LWO, OBJ, FBX format, but often I spend a lot of time fixing the model and retexturing. Often the models are so incredibly dense that it's hard to use. I go through the model manually removing edges while trying to retain detail. Typically I cut the poly count in half or more and there's no noticeable difference.

There is very few Lightwave specific models for LW2018+
    Mac Pro
    3.5GHz 6-core with 12MB of L3 cache
    32GB (4x8GB) of 1866MHz DDR3 ECC
    1TB PCIe-based SSD
    Dual AMD FirePro D700 GPUs with 6GB of GDDR5 VRAM each