Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Chain Move or Chain Move 2 plugin still available?

Is Chain Move or Chain Move 2 plugin still available?

I tried to download but his site isn't there I guess? Will it work with 2019. Or is there another way to replicate what it does and with a tutorial. Any info, thanks Just trying to animate boxes traveling around an oblong circle, like a conveyor belt.

Use Archive.org...

https://web.archive.org/web/20160309...ee_plugins.php

I couldn't say if it is 2019 compatible.
    LW4, 7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2020 running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

Will it work with 2019
    no, being a 32/64 bit plugin, i doubt it.

perhaps try Spline Control ?
    https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...Spline+Control
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Thanks, I have been trying Spline Control but my row of boxes either 1 flipped at the mid way point or 2 as they went around the curve they expanded, grew out of the curve. It was the perfect motion as they went around the track/ curve except for them enlarging. Another situation the boxes went around the curve then as they went along they began shrinking! Frustrating all the experimentation, I looked at Jennifers Siggrapgh video and her tank tracks and or the escalator scene are exactly what I want but would be nice if there was actual tutorial. I'll look at her scene and try to figure it out. Thanks again

I did download the Chain Move plugin, I could set it up in an older version to get the shot I'm looking for.

yes, unfortunately no example scenes available, as far as i know...

edit; yes there is check this in the content directory >
    LW 11\LW 11 6\Scenes\SplineControl\02_Examples

actually, here is the chain scene >
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by erikals; 12-07-2019 at 08:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post

no, being a 32/64 bit plugin, i doubt it.

perhaps try Spline Control ?
    https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...Spline+Control
    It does work with LW2018! Been using it for some tankthread experiments. Doesn't work with rendering, so you need to bake the result of the instances. (ODTooös have an animated instance baker).

EDIT: Just checked the link, and no... that is a too old version of the plugin. I have 2.x version that came with an x64 build, and it certanly works in LW2018, and probably in 2019 as well, as it is an instancer plugin rather than a motion modifier plugin.

EDIT2: I'll try to contact the developer and see if he would be interested in 1) start selling it again, or 2) give it to the LW-community for free.
    Last edited by Cageman; 12-07-2019 at 07:58 PM.
    Senior Technical Supervisor
    Cinematics Department
    Massive - A Ubisoft Studio
    -----
    Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4GHz
    16GB Ram
    GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
    Windows 10 Pro x64

makes me curious if it is possible to add dynamics or similar to either. (SplineControl / ChainMove)

I know Dodgy did it using ClothFX some time back, was going to test it, but very unfortunately never got around to it.

Senior Technical Supervisor
    Cinematics Department
    Massive - A Ubisoft Studio
    -----
    Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4GHz
    16GB Ram
    GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
    Windows 10 Pro x64

yep, did try the hardlink (#7) method with clothfx colliding with the ground, but only worked so-so.
    like you mentioned back in the days, the tread "snaps" once the tank takes a turn.
    back to the drawing board.  
    Last edited by erikals; 12-08-2019 at 03:56 PM.

bryphi77 did an awesome how to series on various things but spat the dummy out and deleted them from youtube.

here is the end result. i think it’s part move and other stuff. it’s unfortunate as people were offering to pay to get them back.

maybe one day he will upload them again.

Quote Originally Posted by gar26lw View Post
    bryphi77 did an awesome how to series on various things but spat the dummy out and deleted them from youtube.

here is the end result. i think it’s part move and other stuff. it’s unfortunate as people were offering to pay to get them back.

maybe one day he will upload them again.
    I think he went on to sharing that stuff privately if you asked for it, and if you may have been considered as a friend of him, so anyone who is interested..an advice is to contact him privately about it.

it's Bullet,

did some sims yesterday with Bullet, went ok-ish, but couldn't get it to work with parenting for some strange reason.. (?)
    so, need to alter the scene a bit, for then to do some major tests, if time allows.
    Last edited by erikals; 12-09-2019 at 05:00 AM.

Thanks everyone. I have seen people mention the ClothFX method but can't find a tutorial on that method. Any ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by mballard View Post
    Thanks, I have been trying Spline Control but my row of boxes either 1 flipped at the mid way point or 2 as they went around the curve they expanded, grew out of the curve. It was the perfect motion as they went around the track/ curve except for them enlarging. Another situation the boxes went around the curve then as they went along they began shrinking! Frustrating all the experimentation, I looked at Jennifers Siggrapgh video and her tank tracks and or the escalator scene are exactly what I want but would be nice if there was actual tutorial. I'll look at her scene and try to figure it out. Thanks again

I did download the Chain Move plugin, I could set it up in an older version to get the shot I'm looking for.
    You should be able to get this to work with Spline Control. There are a several gotchas that can be frustrating. I have thought of making a tutorial that explains the various problems I have encountered and how to fix them. But laziness has kept me from doing that so far. I have done several complex animations using spline control and I have always been able to tame its misbehaviors in the end. Things flipping suddenly as the move along the spline is a common problem. This can usually be fixed by: 1. Adjusting the rotation angles of the nodes. 2 Adding more nodes and evenly spacing them to better define the shape of the spline. 3. Use a pole item to control the bank direction along the spline. I have never encountered a problem where spline control itself causes an object to enlarge. Post an example scene so we can take a look at the problem.
    Last edited by lertola2; 12-24-2019 at 08:41 AM.

Yes, as lertola2 says, I'd recommend trying to get this done using Spline Control. A quick sample scene is attached.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Final_Render_000.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	182.8 KB 
ID:	146482 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Final_Render_040.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	180.3 KB 
ID:	146483

Name:	Final_Render_080.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	176.2 KB 
ID:	146484 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Final_Render_120.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	167.1 KB 
ID:	146485

MOV file: Conveyor_BoxWithSpline.mov

The "spraying" of instances when moving them along the Spline can be eliminated by using the Offset field in the Instancer rather than moving the "base" object down the Z axis. The flipping along the spline can be eliminated by setting the "nodes" of the spline to have their Heading and Pitch motion controlers as "Spline Control" (aligning them to the spline) and setting their Bank to 0.0 degrees. The bank (or other rotations) can be modified as needed if you want the instances to change orientation as they move down the spline.

I've attached a sort of "video tutorial" of setting up the scene, first the creation of the Object in Modeler including the curve for the Spline and "base" instances for the Box and the conveyor rollers.

I had to split the Layout portion into Part1 and Part2 due to upload restrictions on the forum.

Note that the plug-in "curve_to_spline" is used to convert the curve drawn in Modeler to a Spline in Layout. This plug-in is not normally in the default Menu hierarcy, so it has to be added using the Edit=>Edit Menu Layout..., typing "curve" into the search box, pressing "Find" and placing it into the desired menu for access. I put it into the Setup=>Add section since I use it quite a bit:

Name:	Curve_to_spline_AddToMenuLayout.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	146490

The attached scene has been slightly modified from the one shown in the video tutorials.

mTp

Modeler: Conveyor_BoxWithSpline_Modeler.mov

Layout Part1: Conveyor_BoxWithSpline_Layout_Part1.mov

Layout Part2: Conveyor_BoxWithSpline_Layout_Part2.mov
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by MonroePoteet; 12-24-2019 at 04:38 PM. Reason: Forgot to add sample scene ZIP file!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast