Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 31 to 39 of 39

Thread: Rim of the World - Lightwave VFX

  1. #31
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Right here
    Posts
    1,645
    Quote Originally Posted by Cageman View Post
    Here is the deal... use LW and one more 3D tool; Houdini. End of story.

    No more need for other apps, depending on what you do and love to do. Yes it comes with a price... But if you really like LW, then the only other 3D app you need is Houdini, again, depending of what you DO ENJOY and want to make fast.
    Very simple way to see it.

    Well then you will not have a good modeler, sculpting, no CAD import, no 3D texture painting, no integrated 3D tracker and so on. You miss alot of great plugin functionality (and no, it's Houdini doesn't replace the need of plugins and has almost none available itself and the ones for LW mostly only cover missing base functionality). Most users will also want a fast GPU renderer. And most importantly you chose the two software that make some stuff unnecessary complicated to do.

    I like both Houdini and LightWave but there are many things that can be done better, faster and easier in other software.

    In my opinion this discussion doesn't belong in this thread. David did an outstanding job again. However if you have read his comments in the past you find that he struggles alot doing his work with LightWave.

  2. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by Cageman View Post
    Maybe we are different... but plugins to a software is not "another software" since you access them within the software the plugin is associated with. They usually have a familiar interface (except Worley), and works in tandem with the mother software, so to speak.

    OR...

    Do you think that because I have 300 plugins for Cubase, means that I have to "switch to 300 applications"?

    Seriously. Get a grip.
    OD Tools is so advanced it is basically an Application.
    Seriously. Get a grip.

    anyways, you're -completely- missing the point.

    But if you really like LW, then the only other 3D app you need is Houdini, again, depending of what you DO ENJOY and want to make fast.
    uh, no. Houdini doesn't come close to covering missing aspects.
    Last edited by erikals; 11-30-2019 at 04:22 AM.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

  3. #33
    RETROGRADER prometheus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    sweden stockholm
    Posts
    15,556
    Quote Originally Posted by Cageman View Post
    Maybe we are different... but plugins to a software is not "another software" since you access them within the software the plugin is associated with. They usually have a familiar interface (except Worley), and works in tandem with the mother software, so to speak.

    OR...

    Do you think that because I have 300 plugins for Cubase, means that I have to "switch to 300 applications"?

    Seriously. Get a grip.
    I was about to respond to erikals about that, just a nice comment saying, but that is plugins, but then I actually recognized that he did state this...

    "certainly I try to cut down on programs (and plugins) I use."

    Which means erikals didnīt specificly mention it in relation to be valid as many 3d apps, but pure simply stating he also has a lot of plugins, and that is a different matter.

  4. #34
    RETROGRADER prometheus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    sweden stockholm
    Posts
    15,556
    Quote Originally Posted by Cageman View Post
    Here is the deal... use LW and one more 3D tool; Houdini. End of story.

    No more need for other apps, depending on what you do and love to do. Yes it comes with a price... But if you really like LW, then the only other 3D app you need is Houdini, again, depending of what you DO ENJOY and want to make fast.
    You are defining what "everyone need" ..I hope thatīs just a little advice than the hard truth?

    Actually, there is only one 3d app you really need..if you are a hobby user,
    In my perspective and I bet in most others perspectives...that software is blender, at least that is the most capable out of the box 3d software to handle most task, at a 100% more value for money than any other 3d software.

    Edit, your post is a bit ambigous..since you refer to lw and houdini as the only app you need, then refering to "what you DO enjoy and want to make fast" which of course canīt be defined for all what that is or what software is required to do so.

    For me, I am uttely impressed of what you can do with blender, from sculpting which neither lightwave or houdini comes close to, native fire and smoke, which I even feel to be more easier to tweak fireshading in than houdini and lightwave, and hair rendering, and cycles and pbr materials..faster than any native solution in lightwave and houdini.

    we got liquids built in as well, tracking, compositing, image processing...thereīs also a newly released retopo tool for blender, neither sculpting, retopo, fire and smoke, liquids..and itīs faster render engine costs..NOTHING, unless caring to support addons and the blender community of course.
    Emissive materials, skin modifiers, animating curves with ease, importing svg vector files as curves to be animated...features I do not see in Lightwave nor houdini (houdini emissive materials..do not know)
    But the emissive materials is soo much nicer than trying to set up high luminosity materials and GI in lightwave, which are soo slow and doesnīt yield the same nice results.

    All that said, things I prefer in Lightwave, but overall rating of what blender can do VS lightwave ..blender wins in my opinion, but to clarify, there may be specific tasks of course which means only lightwave will do it good enough according to requirements, just as blender would do the same in other areas..it is Generally individual in many cases, but in most cases I would argue for that blender can handle the most tasks compared to any other 3d software, Natively.

    So what software would you pick to sculpt in, houdini?...lightwave natively with metamorphic? or blender? and donīt mention sculptris or zbrush, 3d coat, mudbox..which are specific tools for that.
    Houdini has one little advantage in sculpting terms, it is applied as a none destructive node to be bypassed or removed if you want to, but it isnīt particulary nice to work with from artistic point of view.

  5. #35
    RETROGRADER prometheus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    sweden stockholm
    Posts
    15,556
    Quote Originally Posted by Marander View Post
    In my opinion this discussion doesn't belong in this thread. David did an outstanding job again. However if you have read his comments in the past you find that he struggles alot doing his work with LightWave.
    True, I apologize for getting side tracked...back to more focus on Davids work and ..in fact How it was worked on with Lightwave.

  6. #36

    Marander
    this discussion doesn't belong
    prometheus
    getting side tracked
    yes, sorry, at least we got to a somewhat conclusion.

    back to Vfx   
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

  7. #37
    'the write stuff' SBowie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    The stars at night are big and bright
    Posts
    19,452
    Thank you all for self-moderating without rancour.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

  8. #38

    This is the way!

    but getting bit back on track, this is what i like about LightWave, i'm doing things in Houdini right now, and simple things takes so darn long.
    am i right about that conclusion? maybe, maybe not, but stuff like this seem so much easier/faster to do in LightWave.


    example from another LightWave Hero > Mark Warner




    in this regard it would be interesting to know if Ridlen flies Solo LightWave or if Houdini is visited once in a while.
    Last edited by erikals; 11-30-2019 at 11:27 AM.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

  9. #39
    RETROGRADER prometheus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    sweden stockholm
    Posts
    15,556
    Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    This is the way!

    but getting bit back on track, this is what i like about LightWave, i'm doing things in Houdini right now, and simple things takes so darn long.
    am i right about that conclusion? maybe, maybe not, but stuff like this seem so much easier/faster to do in LightWave.


    example from another LightWave Hero > Mark Warner




    in this regard it would be interesting to know if Ridlen flies Solo LightWave or if Houdini is visited once in a while.

    Only one problem perhaps, it would be easier and faster to use sprite clip maps instead of instancing, also setting up a particle gradient is tedious with how it works, compared to the legacy particle gradient.

    But otherwise..yes, houdini isnīt as easy to set up things like that, that is what I have always said about lightwave and hvīs, itīs the fastest easiest system there is to do that kind of stuff..in a 3D software I think.

    But apart from either using instancing system or sprite clips in houdini, one part of the magic is all the procedurals we got in Lightwave, and in this case also dpontīs shape bomber.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •