Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A message for those still holding on to LW 2015....

The new render engine even though a bit on the slower side is overall capable of much more than the old render engine. I got a Threadripper to solve the slow problem and with that it works great the work I do. I rarely use LW 2015 anymore unless I need to load up and update an old project. I do find working with the new render engine very strange in some ways though. I think it could be more user friendly. I find the old render engine makes more sense and much easier to understand than the new one.
    Last edited by Nicolas Jordan; 11-24-2019 at 09:39 PM.
    Threadripper 2990WX, X399 MSI MEG Creation, 64GB 2400Mhz RAM, GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

https://www.dynamicrenderings.com/

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post

I know 2019 offers a better render overall.
    Decided to move the goalposts, eh?

Zzzzzz.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.4 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti

yup.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Quote Originally Posted by robertoortiz View Post
    Please upgrade.
    We were holding on to upgrade because of a ton of legacy projects we were still supporting. But this month we bit the bullet and upgraded.

And boy we have been quite impressed. And I really like how easy is for me to do nice reanders with the new render engine.

I wonder if this experience is shared by others.

_R
    Yep, exactly my experience too. It's a shame people have been worried, or scared by the thought of upgrading... but I find the new render engine, which is SO SO similar to Arnold in many ways, really easy to use.
    Everything just immediately looks much nicer.
    LairdSquared | 3D Design & Animation

Desk Work:
    HP Z840, Dual Xeon E5-2690 v2, 32GB RAM, Quadro K5000 4GB
    Desk Home:
    HP Z620, Dual Xeon E5-2680, 80GB RAM, Geforce 1050 Ti 4GB

With the coder who created it no longer at Newtek ( I've gathered), the future is worrisome though. It is a great renderer but needs to be faster and must continue to be developed or it will fall behind others very quickly. 2019 brought no major core improvements to the renderer. I will be interested to see what 2020 brings.

The coder is still there. It was Mark Granger who "left".
    He coded the Interpolated GI and the edge rendering. Antti did the rest I think.
    LairdSquared | 3D Design & Animation

Desk Work:
    HP Z840, Dual Xeon E5-2690 v2, 32GB RAM, Quadro K5000 4GB
    Desk Home:
    HP Z620, Dual Xeon E5-2680, 80GB RAM, Geforce 1050 Ti 4GB

Quote Originally Posted by lardbros View Post
    The coder is still there. It was Mark Granger who "left".
    He coded the Interpolated GI and the edge rendering. Antti did the rest I think.
    No - Mark did the complete render engine. Antti the shaders/materials.
    Marks departure was a real puzzler. (Not of his doing) LightWave has always been known for it's great rendering and 999 free render nodes - and then they went ahead got rid of the dev. My guess is they are no longer interested in writing their own engine and will bolt on a 3rd party engine.
    Tim Parsons
    Technical Designer
    Sauder Woodworking Co.

http://www.sauder.com

usually people get tired, and move on to another company.
    it doesn't necessarily need a dramatic cause.

one could speculate f-o-r-e-v-e-r

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    usually people get tired, and move on to another company.
    it doesn't necessarily need a dramatic cause.

one could speculate f-o-r-e-v-e-r
    It's not really dramatic nor is speculative - he got fired. Mark stated so on the various social outlets. He works for Otoy now.

I'm fine with well documented 3rd party render engines as long as they are integrated really well and support all the features of the software.
    Last edited by Tim Parsons; 11-25-2019 at 03:23 PM.
    Tim Parsons
    Technical Designer
    Sauder Woodworking Co.

The 2019 PBR renderer is amazing compared to 2015. No more tweaking object materials to look right under different lighting conditions. Once you get over the 'fireflies' issue and follow some simple rules, then it is just about grain management in the renders. Using your Vpr render buffers for checking on where the grain is coming from and selectively applying samples has helped keep render times down. Keeping the camera samples as low as possible too. In general, the render times may be a little longer than 2015, but the image quality far surpasses that of 2015 IMO. I've been using a render farm for much of my stuff recently, so render times are not much of an issue.

I do miss some of the things from LW 2015 like the global "Light Samples" setting. Now, I have to go to each individual light and adjust its sample settings. Another simple thing I wish they could bring back was the QuickShade Render mode. That was a simple and fast way to render out the animation without surfaces and shadows. Great for animatics. And I do wish they could update Hypervoxels to have PBR materials.

But, all in all, we gotta keep moving forward, right?

he got *****
    oh....  

My guess is they are no longer interested in writing their own engine and will bolt on a 3rd party engine.
    with Unreal connections and VizRt hooking Unreal into their other products (from what i saw) maybe it makes sense to just hook in other render engines.
    Unreal, Cycles, etc etc... not impossible, but again, impossible to know.  
    Last edited by erikals; 11-25-2019 at 03:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Parsons View Post
    No - Mark did the complete render engine. Antti the shaders/materials.
    Marks departure was a real puzzler. (Not of his doing) LightWave has always been known for it's great rendering and 999 free render nodes - and then they went ahead got rid of the dev. My guess is they are no longer interested in writing their own engine and will bolt on a 3rd party engine.
    They were likely trying to reduce the size of the dev team for whatever reason. Yes getting rid of the render engine programmer especially shortly after a major release was a bit surprising to me as well. Chances are that Antti knows enough about the render engine to do most bug fixes and maybe some further development of features if needed. I would agree that maybe we will see more support for a 3rd party render engine in the future.
    Threadripper 2990WX, X399 MSI MEG Creation, 64GB 2400Mhz RAM, GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

https://www.dynamicrenderings.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas Jordan View Post
    I would agree that maybe we will see more support for a 3rd party render engine in the future.
    It really makes a lot of sense if the cost of implementation and licensing is cheaper than a dev. Plus you get the added benefit of a larger team working on it and staying up with the latest tech etc.. Just as long as it can support everything LW does. And to kind of get the thread back on course, the update to 20119 from 2015 is really huge IMO. I have used the Layout view in Modeler dozens of times and it makes camera modeling/matching really kind of fun. I just hope they figure out how to make modeler handle more polys and figure out the Hub issue.
    Tim Parsons
    Technical Designer
    Sauder Woodworking Co.

The main issue (IMO) isn't about whether LW2019 renders are better, it's about Newtek addressing the 9000lb elephant in the corner: Efficient legacy content migration.

Forcing customers to manually resurface all their legacy content isn't a efficient or even tolerable solution for those with substantial content libraries, esp. given "Standard" material's render stability problems. Customers have even cited content migration as an issue multiple times, yet nothing has really improved.

Meh.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.4 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti

Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    The main issue (IMO) isn't about whether LW2019 renders are better, it's about Newtek addressing the 9000lb elephant in the corner: Efficient legacy content migration.

Forcing customers to manually resurface all their legacy content isn't a efficient or even tolerable solution for those with substantial content libraries, esp. given "Standard" material's render stability problems. Customers have even cited content migration as an issue multiple times, yet nothing has really improved.

Meh.
    The convert layered to principal command does a decent enough job.
    Tim Parsons
    Technical Designer
    Sauder Woodworking Co.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast