Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: A message for those still holding on to LW 2015....

Quote Originally Posted by robertoortiz View Post
    I would SUGGEST for the LW developer team to look into what Renderman and VRay are doing terms of rendering. A hybrid approach CPU ad GPU rendering.
    Yeah rendering has always been LW's strong suit and it needs to remain that way. It is very good now but really needs to be optimized. Back in the day (1998) we picked LW solely because of its render engine. Modeled in Rhino and rendered in LW and soon discovered the plugin called Modeler! And never modeled a thing in Rhino again.
    Tim Parsons
    Technical Designer
    Sauder Woodworking Co.

http://www.sauder.com

Quote Originally Posted by robertoortiz View Post
    I would SUGGEST for the LW developer team to look into what Renderman and VRay are doing terms of rendering. A hybrid approach CPU ad GPU rendering.
    Well 'look into' is nice but having man power with the right skills, budget and time to implememt it is something else.

It took specialized developers at Chaos Group several years to implement a somewhat working Vray GPU rendering. I gave up on it, too instable and inconsistent render results.

Arnold has a working hybrid render that worked pretty well from beginning. But it took also several years for a team of very skilled rendering development experts.

Still, those are not in the same league as Octane and Redshift for rendering performance.

Cycles has a bright future and is already a great engine, it would make more sense for Newtek to implement a Cycles bridge.

Therefore I find your suggestion pointless.

Quote Originally Posted by Marander View Post
    Well 'look into' is nice but having man power with the right skills, budget and time to implememt it is something else.

It took specialized developers at Chaos Group several years to implement a somewhat working Vray GPU rendering. I gave up on it, too instable and inconsistent render results.

Arnold has a working hybrid render that worked pretty well from beginning. But it took also several years for a team of very skilled rendering development experts.

Still, those are not in the same league as Octane and Redshift for rendering performance.

Cycles has a bright future and is already a great engine, it would make more sense for Newtek to implement a Cycles bridge.

Therefore I find your suggestion pointless.
    I agree, at least to the extent that they shouldn't be wasting time or money trying to develop an in-house hybrid solution.

Their best solution is either starting with an existing developed open-source solution and integrating it into Lightwave (Cycles, AMD ProRender, LuxCoreRender, etc), or working harder to partner with existing GPU rendering (RedShift, Marmoset, etc) software to build direct bridges or plugs to those renderers.

Personally, if they are going to go the pay to play route, I wish they would partner up with Marmoset Toolbag to develop a plug-in. Compared to other paid solutions, Marmoset is the most economical and independent / freelancer friendly renderer. The rendering results are fast and excellent as well.

Quote Originally Posted by RPSchmidt View Post
    Personally, if they are going to go the pay to play route, I wish they would partner up with Marmoset Toolbag to develop a plug-in. Compared to other paid solutions, Marmoset is the most economical and independent / freelancer friendly renderer. The rendering results are fast and excellent as well.
    I don't believe that needs the intervention of Newtek to accomplish though, Marmoset does have a pretty good python implementation. It wouldn't be as fancy as the unreal stuff, but I imagine most people would just want models and their surfaces to transfer over.
    Professional-level 3d training: Ryan's Lightwave Learning
    Plugin Developer: RR Tools for Lightwave

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Roye View Post
    I don't believe that needs the intervention of Newtek to accomplish though, Marmoset does have a pretty good python implementation. It wouldn't be as fancy as the unreal stuff, but I imagine most people would just want models and their surfaces to transfer over.
    Honestly, all the more reason why they should do it, rather than leaving it to a third-party developer.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234