Thread: Upgrade - A Few Questions

Upgrade - A Few Questions

Hi,
    We're thinking about upgrading to a TC1 from our 460 AE2 to keep ahead of the Windows 7 end of support.
    Does anyone know if there is still a trade-in path going from a 460 to a TC1?
    Also the pictures that I see of the Small Control Panel look exactly like our 460 Control Panel. Are they the
    exact same thing? Can I use our 460 Control Panel with the TC1?

Thanks
    Tricaster 460 Advanced Edition 2, Tricaster 40 V1
    2 Sony PXW-X70 Cameras, 2 Panasonic AG-HMC40P Cameras
    VSE 2.5 - VSE Advanced Edition, A bunch of Doo-Dads and cables

Quote Originally Posted by Stream View Post
    Hi,
    We're thinking about upgrading to a TC1 from our 460 AE2 to keep ahead of the Windows 7 end of support.
    Does anyone know if there is still a trade-in path going from a 460 to a TC1?
    Also the pictures that I see of the Small Control Panel look exactly like our 460 Control Panel. Are they the
    exact same thing? Can I use our 460 Control Panel with the TC1?

Thanks
    I use my control surface form the 460 with the TC-1. I had ro remap some buttons to work like I want but over all very happy to not have to spend another 5K
    Common Gear Used:
    TriCaster: 40, 460, TC 1
    Time Warp TW42
    Cameras: Sony PXWX70, Newtek PTZ / HX
    Cable Solution:Coax HD_SDI & IP
    Newtek Spark HDMI
    Teradek Cube 105
    Chevy City Express Van

That's what I was hoping.
    Thanks!

From what I can tell, the current a la carte (no CS) trade in value of a 460 towards a TC1 is $2000, check with your dealer for sure. Might be better off selling for cash since 460 AE2 is still a very nice system! Or keep it and deal with Windows 7. The "end of support" thing is maybe not as bad as it's being made out to be. There are many opinions on that, depends on your situation. I know many school IT people are having fits over it.

But yes you can definitely use your 460 CS with TC1. Is physically the same board, but some key labels have changed and as TPUC mentioned you can remap the keys using the utility in TriCaster to do so.

Thanks

Jeff
    Jeff Pulera
    Streaming Broadcast Solutions - Newtek Elite

TriCasters: Mini with AE, TC1
    Camera: Sony PMW-X70 4K
    Controllers: All variety of XKeys
    PTZ: Newtek NDIHX-PTZ1

Yeah, for $2000 we might keep it and get some small box or use OBS to do the streaming so the 460 isn't directly connected to the internet, only to the network. Right now our T40 is the extra machine, so the 460 would be better, it just would need to be run without the CS until we get another one.

Yeah, for $2000 we might keep it and get some small box or use OBS to do the streaming so the 460 isn't directly connected to the internet, only to the network. Right now our T40 is the extra machine, so the 460 would be better, it just would need to be run without the CS until we get another one.
    I am curious as to why you wouldn't want your 460 connected to the internet for streaming. I have a 410 and I plan on using it as long as I can. Would there be a problem with streaming after Windows support has ended? Just trying to plan ahead.

with support of windows 7 ending I don't want to have a possible security hole in our network. Plus for doing live events, other venues IT departments will not let you use a Windows 7 machine once support has ended.

with support of windows 7 ending I don't want to have a possible security hole in our network. Plus for doing live events, other venues IT departments will not let you use a Windows 7 machine once support has ended.
    I am in the same boat as you, and many others. Our TC8000 / AE3 is still chugging along nicely and I see no need to ditch it, but IT sees things differently. I am going to format/partition a new hard drive and tinker with getting W10 to work with our machine. If it doesn't work, I just re-install the original HD and call it a day.

I will start working on this after Thanksgiving and I'll post back the results.

Quote Originally Posted by dhodlick View Post
    I am in the same boat as you, and many others. Our TC8000 / AE3 is still chugging along nicely and I see no need to ditch it, but IT sees things differently. I am going to format/partition a new hard drive and tinker with getting W10 to work with our machine. If it doesn't work, I just re-install the original HD and call it a day.

I will start working on this after Thanksgiving and I'll post back the results.

This will not work. The NewTek Windows version is embedded and customized. You will brick the box and lose all drivers. I do not recommend this.
    & WPS ROCKS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dominicc View Post
    This will not work. The NewTek Windows version is embedded and customized. You will brick the box and lose all drivers. I do not recommend this.
    No, I won't. Please re-read what I posted. I am going to completely remove the existing hard drive, and replace it with one that's formatted with W10 and start from scratch. Doing this will most definitely NOT "brick the box". (Fun fact - its exceptionally hard to "brick the box" when it comes to a PC based device....) Worst case is it boots to Windows 10 and is unable to recognize all the NewTek specific stuff. It will, however, recognize the motherboard, processor, gpx card and RAM - none of which are NewTek pieces. Then I will continue to try to get the TC itself back among the living by doing some stuff on my own in regard to the software package, the installer, and W10 itself.

If it doesn't work, the hard drive will be removed and replaced with the one that was removed. At which point, the device will be in exactly the same state it was in before I swapped the drive and will boot right up as if nothing happened.
    Last edited by dhodlick; 12-13-2019 at 08:22 AM.

I reckon you'll have registration issues.

The TC booted up just fine with a different HD with W10. Went into the drivers folders on the old system drive and copied everything over to the W10 driver's folder, copied all the NewTek stuff from the appropriate folders (including the hidden ones) and I could get the PC to at least see the hardware, but double clicking on the software packages would pop the "Tricaster is not found on this system" (or something like that...)

Monkeyed around with it for a few hours and threw in the towel for the day. Swapped the original drive back in there and it acts like nothing ever happened.

Still a lot more to try out, but that's where we sit right now

Quote Originally Posted by JPulera View Post
    From what I can tell, the current a la carte (no CS) trade in value of a 460 towards a TC1 is $2000, check with your dealer for sure. Might be better off selling for cash since 460 AE2 is still a very nice system! Or keep it and deal with Windows 7. The "end of support" thing is maybe not as bad as it's being made out to be. There are many opinions on that, depends on your situation. I know many school IT people are having fits over it.

But yes you can definitely use your 460 CS with TC1. Is physically the same board, but some key labels have changed and as TPUC mentioned you can remap the keys using the utility in TriCaster to do so.

Thanks

Jeff
    Very interesting Jeff, as I've just asked for a quote from a potential supplier for a TC1 and they included the small control surface, of which we already have with our 460. So it is reassuring to know we can save some money if we can still use it again. As already said IT departments are getting twitchy about a Windows 7 machine on the network and so we are having to consider an upgrade. Must say we have been very impressed with our 460, but tech marches on!!