Thread: Collada Output from Modeler or Layout and Second Life

Collada Output from Modeler or Layout and Second Life

Hi all,
    I'm new to 3d modeling and LightWave. I have a model I created in modeler and layout as part of a tutorial. I output the model as a Collada file. When I upload it into Second Life the upload seems to go fine but when I rex the model/object it's invisible. It is there, I know, because, I can 'Edit' it (and see it in outline). But it is invisible.

I have tried with a simple cube from Blender and Modeler and the Blender object is visible but the Modeler object is not.

Any ideas on what I might be doing incorrectly?

Thanks,
    Greg

Not processing it through blender

Well..not sure really, there arenīt any setting options for collada, you could try and make sure the object is double sided first.
    Otherwise simply pass it through blender before going to second life.

Hmmm, when I output my model in collada then into blender a lot of detail is missing and there is some corruption. Is this possibly the problem that collada isn't a sufficiently strong specification to encode all the features one can put into a model with LightWave? If so, are their guidelines for building models that work well with collada?
    Thanks,
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by bollella View Post
    Hmmm, when I output my model in collada then into blender a lot of detail is missing and there is some corruption. Is this possibly the problem that collada isn't a sufficiently strong specification to encode all the features one can put into a model with LightWave? If so, are their guidelines for building models that work well with collada?
    Thanks,
    Greg
    If you refer to exporting collada from lightwave and in to blender, Just donīt ..collada in lightwave and blender doesnīt go hand in hand...instead use obj or lwo..though you will have to re-locate the textures, or use fbx which writes the proper link to the textures as well and the textures should be there at direct import.

So maybe try fbx first, but use binary
    201100 works fine with lw 2015 and blender 2.79
    You can probably use the later fbx versions as well..and also use lw 2019.
    But for exporting lwo to blender from lightwave 2019, you need to write it to the lwo2 (2015 format) there is a special export for that..otherwise blender can not read the lwo, but obj and fbx should be fine as usual.

Though fbx and obj also write materials..so you can end up with wrongfully node shaders that doesīt look good in blender, that can all be disconnected and re-routed by adding a simple diffuse bsdf node, or principle material, and then re-route the image node to those inputs.

There are also additional obj export and import options, you acess that mainly from layout in obj preferences, though I think you could locate those options and configure your own preference menu from modeler as well.

Thanks prometheus!
    Exporting to FBX from lightwave and into Blender then having Blender Export collada worked fairly well. Lost some detail and surface shininess but at least all the pieces were in the right places and the approximately correct color. At least I can now sorta pay attention to my regular job... i.e., the one that pays the bills..
    Thanks again!
    Greg

A bit more I discovered:
    Using the fbx file format to transfer the model into Blender to output Collada worked better than using Collada to either directly from Layout to Second Life or Layout to Blender to Second Life. But there were still problems. I kept reading and digging around. I discovered that Collada and FBX do not pass through polys in Sub-D mode. I did see that Alembic does. So I output in Alembic from Layout. Imported the Alembic (*.abc) file into Blender and saw that the Sub-D mode came through. Then outputting to Collada from Blender did include the morphed polys and uploading into Second Life looked good... all smooth. The only issues with this last approach was the outputting in Alembic didn't recognize surfaces that were only part of a larger object. Fix for this is to make every surface its own object. Or maybe more fiddling I'll find some parameter for the Alembic output that will fix it. For another day though...