Thread: AE2 UI freezes

AE2 UI freezes

Infrequently, my TriCaster 460 running AE2 freezes up on me during Live Production. I'm not able to reproduce this reliably, but am looking for any kind of tips on how best to handle this condition. When it freezes:
    - The UI is completely non-responsive, I can't switch Preview/Program inputs, etc.
    - The Streaming (Facebook, in my case) is still active, although the Streaming clock counter is frozen in the UI

The only thing I could figure out to do was a 'Cntl-Alt-Delete' keyboard action that brought up the 'Log Off' button. After I logged off, I immediately restarted the AE2 software and went back into my session and then all of my previous keyboard actions seemed to play out as if they 'queued up'. For example, all of the Preview input switching I had tried to do while the UI was frozen was 'played back' after I went back into my session, very strange.

Questions:
    - Is there any else I can do besides Cntl-Alt-Delete to try to "get control back" the next time I face this?
    - Is there any diagnostic info on my TriCaster after something like this happens, that would help NewTek Support?

Thanks,
    Stephen

You can try CTRL+V+T to kick you out of the live interface and back to the session screen. That's probably faster.

If you can gather the logs and file a bug report, that would probably be the best thing to do. I believe in AE2 those are located with your session in the logs folder under the name of your session on the media drive the session is saved as. It should keep logs from the last 5 runs or so of the session.

Kris
    TriCasters: Mini, 410, 460, 850, 850 Extreme, 855 & 8000
    Replay: 3Play 820
    CG: LiveText3 - With LT[Scoreboards]
    Cameras: Sony NX5
    Macros: YoungMonkey MasterControl, Belkin N52

Quote Originally Posted by srgray View Post
    Infrequently, my TriCaster 460 running AE2 freezes up on me during Live Production. I'm not able to reproduce this reliably, but am looking for any kind of tips on how best to handle this condition. When it freezes:
    - The UI is completely non-responsive, I can't switch Preview/Program inputs, etc.
    - The Streaming (Facebook, in my case) is still active, although the Streaming clock counter is frozen in the UI

The only thing I could figure out to do was a 'Cntl-Alt-Delete' keyboard action that brought up the 'Log Off' button. After I logged off, I immediately restarted the AE2 software and went back into my session and then all of my previous keyboard actions seemed to play out as if they 'queued up'. For example, all of the Preview input switching I had tried to do while the UI was frozen was 'played back' after I went back into my session, very strange.

Questions:
    - Is there any else I can do besides Cntl-Alt-Delete to try to "get control back" the next time I face this?
    - Is there any diagnostic info on my TriCaster after something like this happens, that would help NewTek Support?

Thanks,
    Stephen
    I had a problem similar to the one you're describing and it was because my graphic drivers we're not updated to the latest build. Maybe that might be part of the problem.

I've experienced a similar problem with a TC860 running AE2. While I don't know a fix, I have been able to determine the cause is related to a specific video file playing in the DDR2. If we don't play the file, we never have the problem.

I would look through the videos in your DDRs starting with the older ones, and test them individually to see if you can identify an offending video. Play them on a loop for a few minutes each before going on the next one.

Are you using the import tool with these files? That will convert ones that can be problematic into video formats that are easiest for TriCaster to playback.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.