Thread: A gremlin messed with me today

A gremlin messed with me today

A converted a coloring book page to a dxf file with Inkscape. Used LWCAD to convert it to a 3d object. Spent close to the last two hours placing lights to color the page then one second I had 615 lights in my scene then I had less than a hundred. Looked at the frame I was on and it said 122. It should have been on 0. So I deleted the key at 122 and now I only have less than 100 lights on the screen but the scene editor list 615. How do I get my lights back? Hate to have to delete all and start over.

Quote Originally Posted by grafxstudio View Post
    A converted a coloring book page to a dxf file with Inkscape. Used LWCAD to convert it to a 3d object. Spent close to the last two hours placing lights to color the page then one second I had 615 lights in my scene then I had less than a hundred. Looked at the frame I was on and it said 122. It should have been on 0. So I deleted the key at 122 and now I only have less than 100 lights on the screen but the scene editor list 615. How do I get my lights back? Hate to have to delete all and start over.
    Sorry..Iīm just another Gremlin messing with you, canīt say anything about recovering the lights, unless you can undo it, or if you have saved a backup version of the scene, but that you should now already ofcourse..it may be unrecoverable.

But just to mess with you a little more
    Just wondering..why you saved out to dxf, and lw cad convert, wouldnīt saving out eps be better? (assuming you got lw 2019, the older versions may not work)
    another alternative would be use svg and import to blender, then save out to lightwave..that way you would also get coloring intact for the inkscape shapes ..if there is any.

But it doesnīt help you..just put more Gremlins on your day I reckon, I am just curious since you used inkscape.

I tried using ODtools Importvector but on complex drawings it one takes forever and two may not work at all. Importing through DXF I find rather fast and it's simple to convert it to LWpolylines. For this process still using Lightwave 2015.3. It's the way I can use linear output on the lights.

I have to ask: Why are there 600+ lights in the scene? I'm not suggesting that excuses misbehavior, just wondered if there's other context we should understand.

Could the "missing" ones just be hidden/disabled (should be visible in scene editor)? Are there any visible scene editor differences between the lights still "present" and the missing ones (according to their scene editor entries)? Also take a look in scene editor around frame 122 to see if there are still keys hiding there for the missing lights?
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.4 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),32GB RAM, NV 980ti

Good news/ Bad news. Good news all the lights are there but they are position 0,0. Which leads me to the bad news I have to go back and reposition all missing lights. Was hoping I wouldn't have to but I guess I do. Jweide the reason why there are so many lights is because I'm using them to "paint" the scene. Like Steve McArdle did in his "Light Painting" video on Youtube

Good news/ Bad news. Good news all the lights are there but they are position 0,0. Which leads me to the bad news I have to go back and reposition all missing lights. Was hoping I wouldn't have to but I guess I do. Jweide the reason why there are so many lights is because I'm using them to "paint" the scene. Like Steve McArdle did in his "Light Painting" video on Youtube

Well just an update, started over today because couldn't tell where exactly the lights were. So I placed about the same amount of lights that I did Sunday but today I did 680 lights. I'll probably have close to 1000 when I'm done. I rendered what I have done so I can look it over but I wanted to show you also. Hope this works.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Christmas Stockings.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	1,019.8 KB 
ID:	146301

Like Steve McArdle did in his "Light Painting" video on Youtube
    Ah, okay, figured it might be something like that, but asked to be certain. Thanks! The updated version looks nice, remember to save often!
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.4 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),32GB RAM, NV 980ti

Well just an update, started over today because couldn't tell where exactly the lights were. So I placed about the same amount of lights that I did Sunday but today I did 680 lights. I'll probably have close to 1000 when I'm done. I rendered what I have done so I can look it over but I wanted to show you also. Hope this works.

Name:	Christmas Stockings.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	1,019.8 KB 
ID:	146301
    Nice !

With slightly over 1300 lights I think I finally am done with this painting. I want you to be the first to see it. I ALSO WANT TO WISH YOU ALL a MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A HAPPY NEW YEARS

Name:	Christmas Stocking1280.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	838.5 KB 
ID:	146318

With slightly over 1300 lights I think I finally am done with this painting. I want you to be the first to see it. I ALSO WANT TO WISH YOU ALL a MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A HAPPY NEW YEARS

Name:	Christmas Stocking1280.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	838.5 KB 
ID:	146318