Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Enhancing the Preview feature to evolve to GPU rendering

Quote Originally Posted by vncnt View Post
    I agree with a VPR pause button.
    And when releasing the pause status VPR should continue, not trigger a re-render.

May I suggest a second VPR button: "disable all VPR re-render triggers".
    Because even the smallest activity in Layout interferes with VPR.

Ok, more ideas for OpenGL Preview rendering?
    Render to disc just as Fprime did, I had use of that when I did some gym renders some years ago, I could show a draft to our salesmen quite quickly, and get his okey..then he in turn had to show a better final image for our clients, so I could just pick it up from the last state and continue refining without having to restart render, thus saving rendertime.
    Though the speed of VPR has been improved since then..but it would still be useful I think.

Apart from that I need a checkbox option called, save imagefile/scenename, so if I set that as default, each image save I do, will be matching the very often incremental saves I do, and by looking at the images I can then tell what scene it was..today it is to tedious to go in to the settings and change filename to the same name you have for the scene.

Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    Can you try turning "Faster Highlights" off? I've seen it, on occasion, produce odd shading when all the refl/refr/trans/lum are also active. Never quite pinned down what was going on, though.

I do know there used to be an issue with how many channels you could have enabled even with GLSL, but I'm not sure if that still applies with PBRGLSL or not. Might want to disable all but, say, Normal Map and Specularity, and then post how it looks? The docs definitely seem to indicate multi-texturing has limits with how many textures can be shown in channels.

Also, does the material for "Dinosaur"-aka-Gojira have anythinhg actually in emission / "Luminosity Channel"? If not, then there's no reason for it to be active. Likewise, unless you have a texture feeding in transparency, there's no reason for Transparency Channel. If there's no transparency, period, then no reason for "Transparency" to be active either.

Just things to try, cutting it down to what's needed also helps remove variables from debugging.
    Checking or unchecking any or all combinations of the flags makes exactly no difference.

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    Render to disc just as Fprime did, I had use of that when I did some gym renders some years ago, I could show a draft to our salesmen quite quickly, and get his okey..then he in turn had to show a better final image for our clients, so I could just pick it up from the last state and continue refining without having to restart render, thus saving rendertime.
    Though the speed of VPR has been improved since then..but it would still be useful I think.
    I would like to see this concept enhanced to the entire preview range. Start a VPR render on all frames at once to generate a cache with an image sequence that keeps all images rendered to more or less the same quality level. With the option to gradually "upgrade" the entire sequence, step by step, to a better render quality when the CPU is available.

And would it be possible to only update modified 3D objects on top of existing preview image sequence?
    Maybe not even really caring for reflections and GI.
    This recycling method could make the 3D industry slightly more environmental aware as a bonus.

Maybe even simpler (dare I say innovative?) method that combines both: send VPR render segments to separate images with variable resolutions.
    Then, when the preview is needed on a screen or in a new file, the frames can be reconstructed with the latest version of each frame segement, independently of their resolution. This method could bypass a lot of issues that would arise with a variable upgrade method.

Now I think about it, I've already made a script that devides frames into segments and can generate a Fusion comp to assemble the segments.
    But the entire assembly process should be done in Layout automatically.
    Also, the script would need hints to only render the "interesting segments", whatever that may be.

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    Apart from that I need a checkbox option called, save imagefile/scenename, so if I set that as default, each image save I do, will be matching the very often incremental saves I do, and by looking at the images I can then tell what scene it was..today it is to tedious to go in to the settings and change filename to the same name you have for the scene.

Quote Originally Posted by vncnt View Post
    Maybe even simpler (dare I say innovative?) method that combines both: send VPR render segments to separate images with variable resolutions.
    Then, when the preview is needed on a screen or in a new file, the frames can be reconstructed with the latest version of each frame segement, independently of their resolution. This method could bypass a lot of issues that would arise with a variable upgrade method.

Now I think about it, I've already made a script that devides frames into segments and can generate a Fusion comp to assemble the segments.
    But the entire assembly process should be done in Layout automatically.
    Also, the script would need hints to only render the "interesting segments", whatever that may be.
    My current implementation of rendering to segments:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VariableResolutionSegments.png 
Views:	22 
Size:	191.1 KB 
ID:	146313

It can't assemble variable image resolutions per segment at the moment but that shouldn't be too difficult.
    I'll think about image assembly in Layout.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Ritchie View Post
    I'm going to go ahead and call this a bug. Perhaps a bug that only shows up because of the difference in vendor implementation. Something like not clipping negative shading, or something.

I did some more work with this, and found that if I turn off all spherical lights, not quite correct, but much more correct results. At least I can see the other channels like the normal map.

This is the result I get if I turn off every spherical light. It's still too bright.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	21 
Size:	262.6 KB 
ID:	146317

Did you turn off the Headlight?

I put it in as a bug. Haven't heard anything from them.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123