Thread: What 2019 features are people using?

What 2019 features are people using?

I was just wondering. What are your favorite LW 2019 features that you find yourself using most? I'm still on 2018, and haven't had the funds to upgrade.

https://www.newtek.com/lightwave/201...s/#workflow-ui

There are many niche features added to 2019 that some people may use. Using Ctrl-Space to quickly pull up any command with menu navigation is something everyone can use. It is a constantly used feature that makes the occasional jump to a previous LW version (for a legacy project) seem awkward and painful.

However, at this late in the year, it may be worth looking to whatever 2020 brings.
    LW7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019 running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

Quote Originally Posted by raymondtrace View Post
    https://www.newtek.com/lightwave/201...s/#workflow-ui

There are many niche features added to 2019 that some people may use. Using Ctrl-Space to quickly pull up any command with menu navigation is something everyone can use. It is a constantly used feature that makes the occasional jump to a previous LW version (for a legacy project) seem awkward and painful.

However, at this late in the year, it may be worth looking to whatever 2020 brings.
    Funny, though that pop up menu might be useful, it was the first thing I turned off... it constantly interfered with my other short cut keys, popping up in the middle of an action. Ctrl+space is a bad combi when you use those keys a lot for other things.
    I'm sure this makes me a bad person somehow.
    Sadly, despite investing in 2018 and 2019, I've barely used either due to a long ongoing project in lw2015... I'll maybe catch up in 2020. The new cel shader options seem pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Ritchie View Post
    I was just wondering. What are your favorite LW 2019 features that you find yourself using most? I'm still on 2018, and haven't had the funds to upgrade.
    There was in my opinion not much of feature excitement ..not for me,but for me..maybe the VDB creation tools, which wasn´t there in 2018, but then again it is slow to work with simulation wise, and renderwise..so I am kind of stepping back on that til they improve that a bit, otherwise it is the volumetric items, but that was also a part of 2018 with the exception of the shadow intensity implementation.

There are however still some features I need to try still...so some of my views may change, for instance..empty volume is something I just recently discovered, creating shapes directly from procedural textures, applying it through the surface of the item and in node editor feeding it to the displacement input, but that is merely a feature that is fun to experiment with, not something I use constantly or have any particular use for...Yet.

https://www.newtek.com/lightwave/2019/features/

it can make Beautiful NPR renders.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

VDB, Metamorphic, mouse scrolling menu, hide/unhide null's.

"Show OpenGL UI" to hide all non-renderable elements in Previews. Acting as a first basic version of GPU rendering.
    I hope this feature is enhanced in LW 2020 to support bigger frame sizes and quality settings.

Ctrl+space is a real time saver.

For me, personally, it is a whole ecosystem, so I understand completely not having the money to upgrade, but usually, the upgrade price is the best deal you will ever get, so I feel compelled to grab it when I can. There are so many plug-ins that I use with LW, that I'm afraid if I don't upgrade, then I will miss something or somehow fall behind the curve. In all honesty, I'm still getting my mind around the rendering engine and still learning how to use Octane, which fortunately, still integrates with LW 2019 at no extra cost. I wanted to be excited about VDB, but I've found the rendering times insanely slow and long. For small little things VDB is fine, but for explosions or smoke or clouds, I can literally go away for two days and it still isn't done. So, in short, upgrading is like moving to a new apartment one floor up in the building you're already living in. You don't have to do it, but there are incremental improvements and eventually, you're missing out on things like a better view.

lwo 2015 export, i wish it maintained surfaces.
    fbx export
    3rd party

So, in short, upgrading is like moving to a new apartment one floor up in the building you're already living in.
    You don't have to do it, but there are incremental improvements and eventually, you're missing out on things like a better view.
    Nice Quote.  
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

ctrl-space menu.
    Text search in drop downs (or was that 2018?)
    Material integrator node
    Hide gl

Not the flashiest new features but definitely the most useful for me so far.