Thread: Need help to open a modeler file after fatal crash error

Need help to open a modeler file after fatal crash error

During a modeling session , a fatal error occurs and the program crashes. I didn't realized that I've clicked on "send no report" because the modeler program crashes often but without any consequence because I make regular save of my session. But this time, the source itself is no more readable by the modeler and it can not load anymore. Because this is a two weeks work, I wonder if anybody has an idea how to get this source available again?

This advice is likely too late if the LWO file is hopelessly corrupted, but ALWAYS save using revision numbers when you're modeling on a deadline (Shift/S). You may have 500 in-progress copies of an object during the course of a build, but in your case, you could have gone back to the last saved revision, losing a much smaller timeframe of work. When the model is complete, keep only the last revision and create a back-up stored elsewhere.

The majority of us have learned this the hard way. I hope you're able to resurrect your old file in the meantime.

Good luck,

CC

This is all automated but you need to enable it.

From the docs...

"When Layout or Modeler are running, you can set LightWave to auto-save objects and scenes in your Preferences dialog. On the General tab go down the near the bottom where you will see two dropdown menus, one for auto-saving Objects, the other for Scenes. In Modeler, you can just choose to auto-save Objects in the General Options panel."

[https://docs.lightwave3d.com/lw2019/...import-export]

There are also third party tools to help (I have not tested these lately in 2019).

http://www.blytools.com/incsave.html

https://mentalfish.com/2009/12/incremental-save/
    LW7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019 running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

There are some model translation programs out there that might just salvage something, like accutrans. Chances are slim, but if you want to exhaust options, it is one of them. It might also depend on which version of Lightwave you're using.

Also, have you checked your lwhub folder? There may be a recent version in there? Normally C:\Users\Youraccount\AppData\Local\Temp\lwhub
    Not sure the full reason for this folder, perhaps as a hub interchange. So if you have passed the object through the hub to layout, you might still have that version.

That's all I have I'm afraid. But try the hub first and see.

Another possibility, if you're storing objects on the boot drive, and SystemProtection is running, it might have copied a prior version of the file as well. Check the file info.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.4 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),32GB RAM, NV 980ti

Same goes for keeping content in Dropbox - the file history on there has saved my skin on several occasions...

B
    Ben Vost - NewTek LightWave 3D development
    LightWave 3D Trial Edition
    AMD Threadripper 1950X, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 32GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (4GB and 768 CUDA cores) and GTX 1080 (8GB and 2560 CUDA cores) driver version 430.86
    AMD FX8350 4.2 GHz, Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium 64-bit, 16GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (416.34, 4GB and 768 CUDA cores)
    Dell Server, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Xeon E3-1220 @3.10 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Quadro K620
    Laptop with Intel i7, nVidia Quadro 2000Mw/ 2GB (377.83 and 192 CUDA cores), Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 8GB RAM
    Mac Mini 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 10.10.3

thank you everybody, it seems that I've a previous version safety placed in my dropbox a couple of days ago, I started repairing the design to get it in final stage but I switch back to the 2018.0.7 and abandon the 2019.1.4 which crashes too often.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptive View Post
    There are some model translation programs out there that might just salvage something, like accutrans. Chances are slim, but if you want to exhaust options, it is one of them. It might also depend on which version of Lightwave you're using.

Also, have you checked your lwhub folder? There may be a recent version in there? Normally C:\Users\Youraccount\AppData\Local\Temp\lwhub
    Not sure the full reason for this folder, perhaps as a hub interchange. So if you have passed the object through the hub to layout, you might still have that version.

That's all I have I'm afraid. But try the hub first and see.
    Yes it's possible it might load into another program like Accutrans. I would agree this might be worth a shot.
    Threadripper 2990WX, X399 MSI MEG Creation, 64GB 2400Mhz RAM, GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

https://www.dynamicrenderings.com/

One thing I've found is that when working in Modeler, if I get a crash report window, before clicking on that I hit the save object button, then make my choice in the crash requester.
    Rob Depew
    Modeler/Animator/Editor
    Web Portfolio
    My Patreon
    YouTube
    Lightwave3D 2019, RF10, Gaea and more..
    Threadripper 32 core , 48gb, GTX-1070
    Asus 752vt i7 2.6 x 4, 48gb, GTX-970