Thread: How is lightwave doing today ?

How is lightwave doing today ?

Hi:

I remember a long time ago, when babylon 5 and seaquest were on, it was like a golden age for lightwave.
    Lightwave was very popular, and great shows were done using lightwave. Lightwave was very much talked
    about. But today I don't see lightwave as much as before.
    I might be a little disconnected from today's world of animation.
    Can someone tell me how is lightwave doing in today's world ?
    Thank you !!!
    -Mobilis In Mobile-

It's still around and works well. My guess is that there are good number active users - 10 to 20 thousand, but spread over about 5 or 6 LW releases. My guess is that about half of those users are hobbiest. So the golden age is over but it's never too late for a comeback. Seems like there is more activity on the forums since the 2018 release.
    Tim Parsons
    Technical Designer
    Sauder Woodworking Co.

http://www.sauder.com

Competitor companies are conducting a more aggressive advertising campaign for their products. Conclusion of contracts with manufacturers of software and hardware. As a result, LW for many years in a row has been an unsurpassed outsider in the field of third-party plug-ins, especially such as third-party renderers. Perhaps in the case of large film studios for LW everything is not so bad, but in the case of individual users, the situation is so far bleak. Most users, hearing the name of the LW either ask what they just heard or are surprised that this product still exists on the market.
    The reason is simple - the convenience and speed of implementation of ideas.
    This also applies to the user interface of the program, mainly due to its separation into two essentially separate programs. This also applies to the ease and convenience of creating content for Motion Graphics - this area is now rapidly gaining momentum.
    I hope that the LW has a bright future, but for this it is necessary to overcome the transition period as soon as possible - having completely updated the interface and tools, make even more improvements in the field of OGL during deformation of objects, especially with character animation, and open the way for third-party developers to the LW. In general, this has been spoken about for almost decades, so there is no particular need to repeat all this again.

I would guess that Lightwave remains a fairly popular tool with freelancers and small studios.
    Threadripper 2990WX, X399 MSI MEG Creation, 64GB 2400Mhz RAM, GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

https://www.dynamicrenderings.com/

And Nasa..

Nasa won an Emmy Award not long ago (september 15, 2019)..
    For their show which includes some Lightwave work (if not all),
    though it isn´t the VFX getting awarded as I understand it, nevertheless...Lightwave must have had a huge role in it, but also the artists of course.
    Creds (Dave Jerrard, Mark Hennessy-Barrett, William (Proton) Vaughan, Chris O’Riley, Sean Kennedy, Andrew Comb, and Greg Sullivan)

Lightwave forum thread..
    https://forums.newtek.com/showthread...78#post1579978

Lightwave blog...
    https://blog.lightwave3d.com/2019/10/emmy-win-for-nasa/

Well, I purchased Lightwave 11.5 and use it for projects every so often when something unique and cool is needed...you get out of LightWave what you put in so ask yourself...how is LightWave 3D? It's Amazing. -S

NDI Camera
    TriCaster Mini Advanced Edition
    Lightwave 11
    SpeedEdit 2.5

Music by www.soundtraxxmusic.com

Most users, hearing the name of the LW either ask what they just heard or are surprised that this product still exists on the market.
    it has been like that since 1999. 

Great artists will create Great art using LightWave.  

LightWave is much more production friendly these days overall, wish i had more time to use it, but, you know... > work.

I would guess that Lightwave remains a fairly popular tool with freelancers and small studios.
    it should be.
    Last edited by erikals; 11-17-2019 at 05:27 PM.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz