Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Megascans Now FREE

Megascans Now FREE

Quixel have just joined with epic, the result of that is now megascan assets are free to use within unreal engine! they are also reducing the cost and upping monthly download limits on other renderer accounts, (also currently I think mixer is still free to use as its going through beta)
    Intel i9 7980xe, Asus Rampage Vi extreme, 2x NVIDIA GTX1070ti, 64GB DDR4 3200 corsair vengeance,
    http://digitawn.co.uk https://www.shapeways.com/shops/digi...ction=Cars&s=0

This is excellent, and has come in the aftermath of the Allegorithmic changes in licensing, so does beg a comparison of options....which others can do better than me.

To be honest Quixel Megscans and Substance whilst similar in many areas are different products really. Allegorithmic does not offer what Megascans does in terms of assets. As for Substance the changes to licensing which we all knew would eventually come means i will be getting my perpetual license by Oct 2020. Maybe it will eventually become part of Adobe CC. The offer from Quixel is very nice indeed, i had Quixel Suite and still do but it has been dumped by them now which was kind of annoying which is why i got Substance. I still find substance more to my liking but have Mixer and some assets as well.
    Dell XPS 15
    15.6-inch (3840 x 2160) 4K 282ppi IPS LCD
    Intel i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    NVidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
    1TB SDD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 2019.03

Very nice Laptop

http://www.cgchannel.com/2019/11/epi...quires-quixel/

Epic Games’ buyout will see both Mixer, which was originally intended to become a $99 standalone application at the end of the beta, and Bridge, its sister application, made available free.

The first free versions, Mixer 2020 and Bridge 2020, will ship later this year.

Asked if Epic sees Mixer as a long-term alternative to the Substance tools, Petit replied: “Yes, absolutely.”

Nice to see and glad they will be free, but Epic are wrong at the moment Mixer and Bridge are not an alternative to Substance Painter, Designer and Alchemist.
    Dell XPS 15
    Intel i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    1TB SDD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 2019.03

Very nice Laptop

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMarchant View Post
    Nice to see and glad they will be free, but Epic are wrong at the moment Mixer and Bridge are not an alternative to Substance Painter, Designer and Alchemist.
    Yes but John not far from now they will be. Mixer will replace what used to be the quick suite(NDO,DDO,3DO)

wondering, can it be exported to LightWave ?
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Quote Originally Posted by hrgiger View Post
    Yes but John not far from now they will be. Mixer will replace what used to be the quick suite(NDO,DDO,3DO)
    Oh indeed it will. Quixel Suite's Achilles heel was always that you needed Photoshop to run it. So although you could buy Quixel Suite at the time you still needed an Adobe CC subscription to use it. I hope Quixel comes on leaps and bounds and Megascans is a wonderful asset. However, i still hold with my original point that Quixel is not a replacement for Substance, well not yet anyway.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    Not natively as far as i know. Then again Substance dropped that a few versions ago.
    Dell XPS 15
    Intel i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    1TB SDD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 2019.03

Very nice Laptop

did you mean megascans? they come in FBX format direct download,
    Intel i9 7980xe, Asus Rampage Vi extreme, 2x NVIDIA GTX1070ti, 64GB DDR4 3200 corsair vengeance,

Oh indeed it will. Quixel Suite's Achilles heel was always that you needed Photoshop to run it. So although you could buy Quixel Suite at the time you still needed an Adobe CC subscription to use it...
    Quixel Suite development was harmed by the moving target of PS CC. However, if you're using a perpetual license of PS CS6, it's all good.

Megascans content is all dumped in the user's folder in standard file formats, which can be used by LW. The full free access provided with your Epic account is licensed only to be used with UE (which can be connected with LW 2019). Otherwise, Megascans content used directly in LW (or other apps) requires the paid subscription to Quixel.

Full details...

https://quixel.com/blog/2019/11/12/q...ith-epic-games
    LW7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019 running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

Oh indeed it will. Quixel Suite's Achilles heel was always that you needed Photoshop to run it. So although you could buy Quixel Suite at the time you still needed an Adobe CC subscription to use it. I hope Quixel comes on leaps and bounds and Megascans is a wonderful asset. However, i still hold with my original point that Quixel is not a replacement for Substance, well not yet anyway.
    Mixer is now a standalone product with no ties to Photoshop. The next update to mixer will feature 3d painting, smart material creation and mixing materials. It will effectively replace painter, alchemist and I. A lot of ways designer as you can use the same principles as designer uses of creating new materials from procedural shapes, just not done morally but through a layer system. And the megascan library is about 5 times the size of substance source and includes 3d assets and decals.

- - - Updated - - -

Not natively as far as i know. Then again Substance dropped that a few versions ago.
    It is pretty clear their aim is evolve Mixer into a full-blown replacement for the old PS-based suite, and they have been staffing up agressively to make that happen. This video they just posted https://youtu.be/wd_sdFaYdIk?t=171 shows the direction.

Of course, Painter is now a mature, full-featured texturing tool, so we can only hope Epic/Quixel will make Mixer good enough to be a practical alternative.

As a person now primarily focused on UE4, it all sounds like a huge win, but the lowered cost of Megascan assets for other DCC uses is a win for everybody regardless. And a non-rental alternative to the Substance tools is so very welcome.
    Last edited by tburbage; 11-13-2019 at 01:36 PM.

Beyond 2020, will Mixer and Bridge remain free?
    So much water, so few sharks.

"...all men are created equal." -- US Declaration of Independence

Quote Originally Posted by sadkkf View Post
    Beyond 2020, will Mixer and Bridge remain free?
    I'm more concerned about the core (Epic) than the accessories (Quixel tools). Epic is pulling in a lot of IP recently (shave and a haircut, Twinmotion, Quixel) and making it free, especially for those not producing games. Is game revenue sufficient for Epic or are they trying to win marketshare & dependence with free tools before introducing new pricing to the non-game market?
    LW7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019 running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

Quote Originally Posted by raymondtrace View Post
    I'm more concerned about the core (Epic) than the accessories (Quixel tools). Epic is pulling in a lot of IP recently (shave and a haircut, Twinmotion, Quixel) and making it free, especially for those not producing games. Is game revenue sufficient for Epic or are they trying to win marketshare & dependence with free tools before introducing new pricing to the non-game market?
    I wrote a long reply, then scrapped it, simple answer is, I expect they do as the game industry is far bigger than movie https://lpesports.com/e-sports-news/...than-hollywood I believe Epic is currently valued at 15 billion, (to put that in perspective Autodesk is worth around 30 billion and they have there fingers in lots of pies with many products and tech)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast