Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lightwave 2019.1.4 - CRASH, horrible

Lightwave 2019.1.4 - CRASH, horrible

Lightwave 2019.1.4 The Modeler always crashes when you press SHIFT in the Layers Panel !!!!!!!!!

We work normally under LW 2015.3. But since we have purchased licenses for LW 2019 I tried one of our projects in this version. The total waste of time and indignation is incalculable. I am the only one in the company who dared to use in 2019 for a commercial project.
    And can anyone explain to me why the LW sub-version must be installed in a new directory each time with new configurations? And with every such update we have to transfer our settings and plugins? Again, horrible. You haven't been able to move forward all year, just making Lightwave worse and worse. You are like Hydra, you solve one problem and add two more. Stop sabotaging Lightwave.

Quote Originally Posted by Rajce View Post
    ...And can anyone explain to me why the LW sub-version must be installed in a new directory each time with new configurations? And with every such update we have to transfer our settings and plugins? Again, horrible...
    The default action is probably to prevent issues with user error/ignorance.

Of course, one can use a custom configuration location so one doesn't need to do much with updating configurations on point releases. This has been an option well before 2015.

https://docs.lightwave3d.com/lw2019/...e--cforConfigs
    LW7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019 running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

Quote Originally Posted by Rajce View Post
    Lightwave 2019.1.4 The Modeler always crashes when you press SHIFT in the Layers Panel !!!!!!!!!

We work normally under LW 2015.3. But since we have purchased licenses for LW 2019 I tried one of our projects in this version. The total waste of time and indignation is incalculable. I am the only one in the company who dared to use in 2019 for a commercial project.
    And can anyone explain to me why the LW sub-version must be installed in a new directory each time with new configurations? And with every such update we have to transfer our settings and plugins? Again, horrible. You haven't been able to move forward all year, just making Lightwave worse and worse. You are like Hydra, you solve one problem and add two more. Stop sabotaging Lightwave.
    Yes this happens to me, you don't need to use the shift key in LW 2019.1.4 but it's force of habit for me.

Without thinking I sometimes hold the shift key down while selecting a layer and Modeller either locks or crashes.

It must be a bug, a hangover from pre 2019.1.4.

Cheers
    Andy Webb

Intel core i7-3820 3.60GHz
    Asus P9X79 Deluxe motherboard
    GeForce GTX 660
    32 Gb RAM
    Windows 10

Did you report this issue?

To be honest no I haven't reported that particular bug. It's so inconsistant 80-90% of the time it will lock modeller or crash it but other wise nothing happens. You do have to hold shift and click around on the layers panel to get it to happen.
    Andy Webb

GeForce GTX 660
    32 Gb RAM
    Windows 10

How does one recreate this issue? I just smashed the SHIFT key in most every possible way and nothing crashed.
    LW7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019 running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

Can't duplicate it either.
    28Nov19: Lightwave 2019.1.4 Build 3133, win10 x64, AMD Ryzen 1800+, 64 GB mem, EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 ti v441.41 (27Nov19)

I can't duplicate it either. But I do notice some other odd behavior with the Layers panel.

If I have several objects loaded, then click on the name of one of them to bring it to the foreground, nothing happens. Usually, when you click on the name of a model in the Layers panel, a check mark gets placed in the "F" column and the object displays itself. If I click on the "F" directly, it places a check mark on each object, but then I cannot unchecked them. I have to twirl open each object and uncheck it from there. I don't remember this being the normal behavior in the Layers panel.

And I have tried submitting a bug report, but there seems to be a bug in the bug reporter. I'll give it another shot, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Axis3d View Post
    I can't duplicate it either. But I do notice some other odd behavior with the Layers panel.

If I have several objects loaded, then click on the name of one of them to bring it to the foreground, nothing happens. Usually, when you click on the name of a model in the Layers panel, a check mark gets placed in the "F" column and the object displays itself. If I click on the "F" directly, it places a check mark on each object, but then I cannot unchecked them. I have to twirl open each object and uncheck it from there. I don't remember this being the normal behavior in the Layers panel.

And I have tried submitting a bug report, but there seems to be a bug in the bug reporter. I'll give it another shot, though.
    This is how the layers panel now works, read the manual!! I've been using it for a while now and it works reasonably well, but there is a few querks.

The issue with the shift key is another matter, it nearly always happens when you least expect it and when you haven't saved for a while, it's then you loose everything and modeller crashes.
    Andy Webb

GeForce GTX 660
    32 Gb RAM
    Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Webb View Post
    This is how the layers panel now works, read the manual!! I've been using it for a while now and it works reasonably well, but there is a few querks.

The issue with the shift key is another matter, it nearly always happens when you least expect it and when you haven't saved for a while, it's then you loose everything and modeller crashes.
    Yes, I have read the manual and it mentions nothing about taking away the functionality of clicking on the "F" or "B" fields in 2019.1.4.

The new changes in Modeler include making the List or Hierarchy choice more permanent between sessions, and making the rename window resizable. Also, Freezing layers, Moving and Exchanging layers, and Layout visibility changes are new to 2019.1

I have Modeler 2019.0.3 and Modeler 2019.1.4 open and I'm trying to click on the "F" and "B" fields. This works in 2019.0.3 and doesn't in 2019.1.4.

It should also work when you click on the name of the model. Perhaps you misunderstood or didn't read my post closely. This may be a mac-only issue also.

As you say your problem looks to be a Mac one, the only issue I have with the layers panel is that sometimes modeller locks up when holding down the Shift key.
    Andy Webb

GeForce GTX 660
    32 Gb RAM
    Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by vncnt View Post
    Did you report this issue?
    Yes, I reported this error.
    I also tried absolutely pure Lightwave 2019.1.4, free of any plugins. He does it too.
    Oddly enough, version 2019.1.2 does not.

The good thing is that before you send Yes / No form from reporting an error, the menu does not work, but you can give a classic CTRL + S to save the object and not lose the progress at work.

layers panel wasn’t broken in 2015.3
    fix something that is broken! ffs

With my 2019.1.4 it also crashes instantly.
    Maybe it's a Mac issue.
    Please fix this, it's just a really 'normal' way to do multiple selections
    ------------------------------
    APPLE 2 x 2.4GHZ Quad-core Intel Xeon
    34G 1066mhz DDR3| ATI Radeon HD 5870 1024MB
    3 x 1TB HD |
    27" 2560x1440 LED Cinema Display
    ------------------------------

Please send a bug report incl. relevant details.
    More reports = better understanding = faster results.

Asking for a fix in this news group is not going to help you/us at all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast