Thread: After saving object viewport buttons and tools not working

After saving object viewport buttons and tools not working

I am fairly new to Lightwave so am hoping someone can help me.
    I have Lightwave 2019 installed on my WIN 7 OS and have had no problem but after coming back to use it several months after completing my
    last project I find that as soon as I save an object I'm working on it is no longer possible to use either the viewport buttons and also the tools
    are not working.
    I have tried reverting to the startup configuration and even reloaded the software but the problem still persists.
    Any theories?

I think the reason you've had no replies on this in nearly a day is down to there being more information needed

What do you mean by "Viewport buttons and also the tools are not working"? Which viewport? What tools? For that matter, which viewport buttons (though I imagine that it's the naviagtion buttons at the top right of the viewport?

All the best,

B
    Ben Vost - NewTek LightWave 3D development
    LightWave 3D Trial Edition
    AMD Threadripper 1950X, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 32GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (4GB and 768 CUDA cores) and GTX 1080 (8GB and 2560 CUDA cores) driver version 430.86
    AMD FX8350 4.2 GHz, Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium 64-bit, 16GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (416.34, 4GB and 768 CUDA cores)
    Dell Server, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Xeon E3-1220 @3.10 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Quadro K620
    Laptop with Intel i7, nVidia Quadro 2000Mw/ 2GB (377.83 and 192 CUDA cores), Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 8GB RAM
    Mac Mini 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 10.10.3

Quote Originally Posted by BeeVee View Post
    I think the reason you've had no replies on this in nearly a day is down to there being more information needed

What do you mean by "Viewport buttons and also the tools are not working"? Which viewport? What tools? For that matter, which viewport buttons (though I imagine that it's the naviagtion buttons at the top right of the viewport?

All the best,

B
    Hi BeeVee thanks for going to the trouble to reply.
    Yes, I am referring to the navigation buttons at the top right of the viewport. Everything works fine and I can work on the object using all tools and nav buttons until I save the object for the first time. Once the object is saved the navigation buttons will not work and the object is basically frozen. The tools will also now not work. For example when I select the move tool it will not work (or any of the other tools).
    If I now close the object and load an object made in a previous project the same thing happens and the nav buttons and tools will not work.

What is particularly puzzling for me is that I completed a project a few months ago and everything was working fine. So I have come back to Lightwave 4 months later and on the very first thing I try to build this problem occurs. In desperation I have done the usual things like re-installing (Lightwave 2019.1.4) but it has made no difference.

Hope this info gives you some idea.
    Regards
    David

Okay, so what happens if you do the following:

1. Use Shift-X to make a Box. Draw it out in two viewports so it has volume. The size doesn't matter so much, hit space when you're happy with this box to finish the Box tool;
    2. Hit S to save this box. Name it as you like (perhaps "deleteme" so you can get rid of it once the experiment is done );
    3. Hit F2 to centre the box - does that work? Once centred (if it works) hit T and move the box in the orthographic viewports, again if you can;
    4. Hit S again to save;
    5. In one of the orthographic viewports hit Y to rotate the box. Hit s to save;
    6. In the Perspective viewport, hold down the Alt key and use the LMB to rotate the view of your object around, put your mouse pointer over one of the corners of the box and roll the mouse wheel to zoom in and out of that point;

Does any of that work? Give me a point by point reply, please.

B
    AMD Threadripper 1950X, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 32GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (4GB and 768 CUDA cores) and GTX 1080 (8GB and 2560 CUDA cores) driver version 430.86
    AMD FX8350 4.2 GHz, Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium 64-bit, 16GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (416.34, 4GB and 768 CUDA cores)
    Dell Server, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Xeon E3-1220 @3.10 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Quadro K620
    Laptop with Intel i7, nVidia Quadro 2000Mw/ 2GB (377.83 and 192 CUDA cores), Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 8GB RAM

Hello Ben
    I went through the sequence as follows:

1. drawn the box - problem
    2. Saved box as instructed - no problem
    3. Used F2 to center the box - this works OK. Then hit T to move the box but the box will not move in any view
    4. Saved again as instructed
    5. Hit Y to rotate - will not work in any view
    6. Yes this all works. In perspective view I can rotate the object with alt key down and LMB. Mouse zoom in and out works fine.

Thanks
    David

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry Ben. Step 1. should read drawn the box with NO problem.

David

And when I say T, I mean T on its own, not Shift T or Caps T, which would probably result in a tripling of the object (turning the box into triangles instead of quads). Okay, can you hit N to bring up the Numeric window? Then try T again to try and move the box? If it doesn't work with the mouse, how about using the Numeric window controls (if they appear)?

B

And when I say T, I mean T on its own, not Shift T or Caps T, which would probably result in a tripling of the object (turning the box into triangles instead of quads). Okay, can you hit N to bring up the Numeric window? Then try T again to try and move the box? If it doesn't work with the mouse, how about using the Numeric window controls (if they appear)?

B
    Yes, I have used only T for moving the object (not Shift or Caps T).
    After the object is saved I can bring up the Numeric window. With the window displayed it is still not possible to move the object using the move tool T.
    However, I can move the object with the Numeric window controls.

So you can see the Move tool's controls in the Numeric window, does your mouse pointer change shape? Also, this might sound completely ridiculous, but you are holding down the LMB or RMB to actually move stuff?

B

So you can see the Move tool's controls in the Numeric window, does your mouse pointer change shape? Also, this might sound completely ridiculous, but you are holding down the LMB or RMB to actually move stuff?

B
    Yes the move tool's control can be seen in the Numeric window and the object can be moved using any of the fields in the Numeric box - they all work fine.
    The mouse pointer changes shape as you would expect for all the tools such as move and rotate etc.
    Yes I am holding down the LMB or RMB ( I have been using Lightwave for almost 12 months)

Its a mystery!

Do you still have deleteme.lwo? If you load it, and select one of the polygons. It should be surrounded by yellow, right? Down at the bottom left, you'll see how many polygons are selected. Can you move this poly? Can you hit E and move that poly?

B

Do you still have deleteme.lwo? If you load it, and select one of the polygons. It should be surrounded by yellow, right? Down at the bottom left, you'll see how many polygons are selected. Can you move this poly? Can you hit E and move that poly?

B
    Have reloaded the object and was able to select one of the polygons (shown in yellow), bottom left showing one polygon selected.
    Poly cannot be moved using move tool (T). When I hit E the cursor does not change shape and poly cannot be moved.

The E won't change the cursor, it merely duplicates the selected polygon. The point is to be able to move it afterwards... Hmm, this is a strange set of events. When you said "startup configuration", how did you achieve that?

B

The E won't change the cursor, it merely duplicates the selected polygon. The point is to be able to move it afterwards... Hmm, this is a strange set of events. When you said "startup configuration", how did you achieve that?

B
    I was using 2019.0.3
    When the problem occured I uninstalled 2019.0.3 and downloaded 2019.1.4.
    When I installed 2019.1.4 I was asked if I wanted to use my existing configuration. I answered "NO" just to make sure the problem I was having had nothing to do with my existing configuration.
    When the installation was complete the configuration appeared as it should with the default layout etc.
    When I discovered the problem still existed I uninstalled 2019.1.4 and re-installed it again but the problem still exists.

I was wondering if before the problem ocurred I had somehow inadvertently entered a keyboard sequence which may have re-assigned a keyboard shortcut by mistake (if such a thing can happen) that was the source of the problem I was experiencing. A fresh install would have fixed this if this was the problem (I would have thought).

Perhaps yes, but maybe no. In the depths of your confuser, there is a folder on this path: C:\users\<your_username>\.NewTek\LightWave\<versio n>. To be certain you have cleared your configs you can quit LightWave entirely (including the Hub) and remove this folder, then relaunch LightWave. You will have lost any configuration, and also your license. What happens if you launch Modeler in this state (don't bother licensing it for the mo), and load the deleteme object again. Try to repeat the last experiment I gave you to try.

B

I removed the folder as suggested and then started Lightwave. Modeler launches as expected (in unlicensed mode).
    I loaded the object and repeated previous experiment. Same problem as before, object cannot be moved using either T or E keys or navigation buttons.