Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: After saving object viewport buttons and tools not working

Ben thank you for your help with this but I have now resolved the issue.
    I simply changed over to a new OS (WIN 10). So somehow the problem was associated with the previous OS (Win 7).
    LIghtwave now working OK.

Definitely not an OS problem. I'm experiencing this as well on Windows 10. Tools just stop working. I have to restart LW. They then work for awhile and stop. I'm also using LW 2019.1.4

Now it won't work at all even when I restart LW. I tried re-installing, but that didn't help.

Initially it appeared that Lightwave was working after I installed Windows 10 but I am afraid the problem has returned. So you are correct it is not an OS problem. This is just so frustrating. Now it is impossible to do any work at all.
    Pleased that I am not the only one with the problem. What I could do with is some real help from Newtek.

Frequenter
    Are you guys sure it is nothing graphics driver related? The oddest thing is that it appears only after a while. Has by chance windows or your graphics driver had updates after the install of LW? Have you tried to revert your system to an earlier restore point? Maybe it is just an very odd combination of drivers that might cause this. just a thought...

Fishhead, thanks for the suggestion- good thought, so I have uninstalled my graphics card (Nvidia GeForce GTX 970) and did a clean re-install using latest driver. Unfortunately problem still exists.
    (I didn't roll back to previous driver because the problem started with the previous driver in use)

I was using the program (with WIN 7) with no problems earlier in the year but took a break of 3-4 months without using LIghtwave. When I came back to use it the problem started immediately. So I have now installed WIN 10, did a clean re-install of Lightwave downloaded from the Newtek website and problem is still there.
    Also, the same problem appears in Layout. That is the nav buttons do not work and the tools will not work either. The image is basically frozen.

Interesting that pdrake has essentially the same issue, except it appears he can get some work done intermittantly, whereas in my case the problem is perpetual.
    Don't know what else to try at this stage and problem makes Lightwave unuseable. Going slowly crazy with this. Open to any thoughts.

Try re-installing another copy of Lightwave into another folder on your hard drive.
    BEFORE you start Lightwave create a Preferences folder in the same location as Layout/Modeler etc.
    Start Lightwave, it should create completely new configs in this Prefs folder.
    Mac Pro (2010) OSX 10.13 RX580 Pulse LW2019 LWCad 2018

Hi Mark
    Thanks for your thoughts on this.
    Very early on when the problem first appeared it seemed to me that it might have something to do with the Preferences of Config files.

In order to rule those out I did a complete install of a new OS (WIN 10). I then installed Lightwave (latest version) and made no changes to the prefs.
    So Lightwave "straight out of the box" with a newly installed OS had exactly the same problem. If there was some sort of corruption with either the prefs or configs this would now be fixed.
    Does this make sense?

I am wondering if it is somehow related to the graphics card (see previous post). Just now I disabled the card and opened Lightwave. Problem still exists, even with my graphics card disabled.

Any other thoughts gratefully received .

I did a reinstall of my graphics driver. Still having this problem.

I'm using an Quadro M5000 with driver V 391.25 which was downloaded from Nvidea's site, not the windows driver.

Make sure LW is actually using your NVidia card by right-clicking the Modeler executable (or a shortcut to it) and selecting the NVidia processor as its default:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RunModelerWithNVidiaGPU.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	438.2 KB 
ID:	146526

If you bring up the NVidia Control Panel, you can enable the option to "Display GPU Activity Icon in Notification Area":

Name:	NVidia_DesktopOptions.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	641.6 KB 
ID:	146527

This causes an icon to be added in the "System Tray", which shows rainbow-colored when the NVidia card is being used by at least one program:

Name:	NVidiaIconShowsRainbowWhenUsed.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	749.3 KB 
ID:	146528

If you click the NVidia icon, it will show the program(s) which are currently using the NVidia GPU:

Name:	ClickNVidiaIconToShowProgramIcons.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	714.7 KB 
ID:	146529

mTp

I don't seem to have that option. The icon is rainbow, though.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nvidia.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	120.6 KB 
ID:	146530

Thanks for going to the trouble with the screen shots. I explored what you have suggested and it appears the graphics card is working OK.

What I have found today FINALLY is that I have now narrowed the problem down to this:
    The only way I can work on an object already created is to close Modeler and click on the already saved object. Modeler opens and the saved file now works fine
    with all tools and nav buttons working correctly. If I then save the object Modeler essentially freezes again. So again I have to close Modeler and restart it by clicking on the saved object.

I have started a new thread on this now that I have narrowed the problem down.
    Hopefully someone can help.

Could this be a Hub problem? Maybe Modeler is locking up waiting for some sort of response from the Hub which is being blocked somehow?
    Try running Modeler with the "-0" command line argument to disable using the Hub.

---JvdL---

Could you please tell me how to use the "-0" command line argument. I apologise for the ignorance.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega561 View Post
    Could you please tell me how to use the "-0" command line argument. I apologise for the ignorance.
    It's in the section of the documentation for the Hub. Here a link to it https://docs.lightwave3d.com/lw2019/...change/the-hub

Skip to the section titled "Running without the Hub".
    Threadripper 2990WX, X399 MSI MEG Creation, 64GB 2400Mhz RAM, GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

https://www.dynamicrenderings.com/

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast