Thread: NDI Studio Monitor Hardware Requirements

NDI Studio Monitor Hardware Requirements

I am considering using the studio monitor tool to put a TV at the back of our church sanctuary for people on the stage to reference. It us just far enough away from our presentation computer that we can't use HDMI directly plus we would have to upgrade our HDMI splitters and buy HDMI to Cat5 transmitter receivers. If I can use NDI for this then it would be much easier and economical. I was thinking of using a PC stick for this but I don't know if it will meet the requirements for to run the Studio Monitor application. I am thinking of something like this one: Windows 10 Computer Stick. Would this work? I would really like to use a Raspberry Pi but I can't find anyone that has gotten that to work.

Not sure if the Atom based devices will work but I've had excellent results with this:

https://www.amazon.com/Intel-Compute-Computer-processor-BOXSTK2m3W64CC/dp/B01AZC4IKK/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?keywords=compute+stick+cs325&qid=15 73588691&sr=8-3

It's actually made by Intel so very high quality. They also have an Atom one, too, at a lower price. But at noted, not tried that yet.

Keep in mind that no matter what there will be a slight latency between your live presenter and the display. Thus your audience may notice a slight lip sync issue if the display is in the back of the room with the live presenter. If you're in a separated room, and you run the audio through the system out to the display, you should have almost no noticeable lag there.

Fritz Golman
    Museum of Broadcast Communications
    Last edited by fgolman; 11-12-2019 at 01:57 PM.

Thanks but that is almost as much as the NewTek spark. I am looking for less costly solution. This is just showing the chruch praise team the words for the song and the Pastor his PowerPoint slides so 1-2 second delay wouldn't be a problem. I'll see if anyone else chimes in about the Atom processor based computer stick.

Here's the Intel branded Atom Compute Stick:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AZC4NHS..._i82YDbYMYKS3B

Let us all know how it goes.

Sounds like no matter what, if it's just PowerPoint, etc, you definitely will be able to get away with it.

Sienna posted this summer that they where working on ndi monitor for Raspberry PI. I don't know if there has been any development there.
    https://twitter.com/ndi_cloud/status...54510343778314

Quote Originally Posted by davdue View Post
    I am considering using the studio monitor tool to put a TV at the back of our church sanctuary for people on the stage to reference. It us just far enough away from our presentation computer that we can't use HDMI directly plus we would have to upgrade our HDMI splitters and buy HDMI to Cat5 transmitter receivers. If I can use NDI for this then it would be much easier and economical. I was thinking of using a PC stick for this but I don't know if it will meet the requirements for to run the Studio Monitor application. I am thinking of something like this one: Windows 10 Computer Stick. Would this work? I would really like to use a Raspberry Pi but I can't find anyone that has gotten that to work.
    I use the same device as a reference. It's not bad, it will indeed run studio monitor, however if you plan on running a video or something, it does get a little choppy. If this is mostly just to use for slides/stills, you will be fine. However if you'd like to have smoother running video playback, I'd recommend a mini pc that has a Celeron processor, not a Atom processor.

The original one I referenced has a mobile i3 processor so it hasn't had any issues keeping up with video. It was available for $325 but now price is up by $100, no doubt due to tariffs.