Thread: Motion Mixer tutorial but no objects supplied - NevronMotion dead?

Motion Mixer tutorial but no objects supplied - NevronMotion dead?

Hi,

I tried to do this tutorial for motion mixer

https://docs.lightwave3d.com/lw2019/...g/motion-mixer

The scene file exists in LW2018 content but the object files don't (i.e. ProtonJack01.lwo)

Any idea where I might find that object?

Similarly I see reference to Nevron Motion plugin 1.1 but I can't seem to track it down anywhere. Any suggestions or is NevronMotion dead?

Quote Originally Posted by James Moore View Post
    Hi,

I tried to do this tutorial for motion mixer

https://docs.lightwave3d.com/lw2019/...g/motion-mixer

The scene file exists in LW2018 content but the object files don't (i.e. ProtonJack01.lwo)

Any idea where I might find that object?

Similarly I see reference to Nevron Motion plugin 1.1 but I can't seem to track it down anywhere. Any suggestions or is NevronMotion dead?
    Not sure about the missing object files but you should be able to download NevronMotion 1.1 from the Registered Products section of your Lightwave Account. It's right down at the bottom of the page/list in my account with both Windows 64 and 32 versions and even the Mac one.
    Kevin F Stubbs

Remember...one size does NOT fit all

OK, looks like someone else had the same problem. The MotionMixer objects and scene files have been posted as a download on this other thread in the forums:

https://forums.newtek.com/showthread...ack-MM01-Scene

6th post down has it as an attachment.
    Kevin F Stubbs

Remember...one size does NOT fit all

That's all well and good, but it still should be filed as a bug, or it'll never get properly fixed in the LW content. Both the scene and objects should be present, having the scene but not the objects only creates frustration, esp. in a training scenario like this.

--

This is kind of a good example of how the "content directory" mechanism breaks down at scale: Because there's no clear association between the object files and the scene file visible at the file browser level, there's no easy check whether the scenes have all their dependencies present or not. Sure, you can use subdirectories under each "type" folder, but without a clear indication of all the subdirectories that should be present in a given "type" directory, it's still easy for them or their contents to disappear without visibly-obvious indicator of a problem.

In that regard, the "packaged scene" approach, with separate content directories for each scene, is marginally better because you're more likely to notice a missing "Objects" directory (as in, users have a better general notion of which "type" directories should be present), but even there it's easy for less-common subdirectories such as "VertCache" or "Dynamics" to disappear without clear visible indication of a problem.

A better longer-term solution would be for LW to maintain an "AssetManifest" file in the root of a given scene's content directory, enumerating all the asset file dependencies of the scene, one per line. That'd allow easy scripting of a bulk-checker which could scan a bunch of top-level-adjacent content directories, and throw errors if any of them are missing listed asset files. By making that part of the automated "LW content build process", it would also serve as a regression test of the content package to ensure all dependencies are present. Unfortunately, while that works for packaged-scene-style content directories, it won't work where the project-specific directories are beneath the "type" directories.

Alternately, each project could have its asset manifest as a "*.manifest" file in the root of the content dir, I suppose, and then the checker would simply enumerate all *.asset files present and confirm all the associated assets listed within each manifest, before passing the entire directory. That would solve the issue of where project subdirectories are beneath the "type" directories, so long as LW still puts scene-named *.manifest files in the root of the aggregate content directory (which shouldn't be a problem).

Anyway, just a thought. Having some automated way to check/ensure that all dependent asset files needed for a scene are present in the associated content directory would be very useful, IMO -- and not just for Newtek, but for third-party devs, trainers, pretty much anyone supplying packaged scene content.
    Last edited by jwiede; 11-11-2019 at 07:57 PM.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.4 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),32GB RAM, NV 980ti

Wouldn’t any old script( or trained monkey) that ran through all the content scenes and opened them (switching content directory on request) detect any missing dependencies easy enough? Adding a bunch of metadata files (manifests for every scene) all over the project directory is just asking for another set of headaches, more files to misplace, more dependencies to get messed up.

This sounds like a perfect plugin to me. Point it to a directory and it opens every scene file it finds one after the other and reports any missing file in a text file. It could also report each time it opened a scene and each time it closed it so if it hit a bad scene that crashed the text file would let you know where that happened.