Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rendering in 2019.1.4

Rendering in 2019.1.4

Is anybody having issues rendering medium resolution scenes? I'm having issues of Layout crashing during F9/F10renderings at resolutions of like say 3072 x 2048. This particular scene has crashed while rendering on two different PC's - one with 32gigs and the other with 64 - so I don't think it's a RAM issue, plus I'm not using interpolated GI. I am using 2,000,000 fiber instances on the carpet, but I've had crashes without instances as well. Most of the time I render without the fibers on and then go back and do a limited region render of the carpet with them on. LW was always so rock solid during rendering and now with it being so slow you pretty much need to start a render and then go home. It's pretty disappointing to come into the office in the morning and see Layout not there and no image saved.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RenderCrash.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	146262
    Tim Parsons
    Technical Designer
    Sauder Woodworking Co.

http://www.sauder.com

There's a way to tell if it is a RAM issue. How much RAM is your system monitor reporting layout.exe using?
    LW7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019 running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

I rendered recently a 6k image without issues.
    English is not my native language so please be patient.

Salvador Ureņa
    http://urenasalvador.wixsite.com/portfolio

Frequenter
    Probably not related to your problem but will share anyway: I had a render of a short sequence but a higher resolution and it just went away to the desktop over night. Reason was I had the ImageViewer active/open while rendering and all the checked buffers along with the final output of each frame ate up the available RAM until layout hadnīt had enough RAM for the actual rendering left... that was with 32GB RAM

Quote Originally Posted by Asticles View Post
    I rendered recently a 6k image without issues.
    6kb....?.........
    Mac Pro (2010) OSX 10.13 RX580 Pulse LW2019

There is a ram issue with lw, that effects interior scenes when you have high Gi level. Cache your Gi and use limit region.
    I'm a Norwegian photographer, check out my web site www.fotofashion.no

Quote Originally Posted by Markc View Post
    6kb....?.........
    "640K ought to be enough for anybody"  

https://www.computerworld.com/articl...y-say-it-.html
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

How are you monitoring your RAM usage during rendering?

Despite you having low memory usage in that screenshot, that's only what's in the scene. When you're rendering, and with 2 million instances... maybe your RAM is maxxing out?

Instancing is meant to conserve memory limitations, but maybe there's a bug or something? It'd be interesting if you could run tests turning certain bits off to see if it still crashes
    LairdSquared | 3D Design & Animation

Desk Work:
    HP Z840, Dual Xeon E5-2690 v2, 32GB RAM, Quadro K5000 4GB
    Desk Home:
    HP Z620, Dual Xeon E5-2680, 80GB RAM, Geforce 1050 Ti 4GB

Quote Originally Posted by lardbros View Post
    How are you monitoring your RAM usage during rendering?

Despite you having low memory usage in that screenshot, that's only what's in the scene. When you're rendering, and with 2 million instances... maybe your RAM is maxxing out?

Instancing is meant to conserve memory limitations, but maybe there's a bug or something? It'd be interesting if you could run tests turning certain bits off to see if it still crashes
    Good point. No I haven't monitored RAM usage while rendering. (I'm usually not around, ) I've rendered very similar scenes in 2015 without issues, but I probably should try this scene in 2018 and see if I have any trouble.
    Tim Parsons
    Technical Designer
    Sauder Woodworking Co.

Quote Originally Posted by Fotofashion View Post
    There is a ram issue with lw, that effects interior scenes when you have high Gi level. Cache your Gi and use limit region.
    I first thought it was an issue with Interpolated GI, but now its been crashing with just brute force. I had to use the limited region in the past and rendered a left and a right rendering. Stupid!
    Tim Parsons
    Technical Designer
    Sauder Woodworking Co.

There was a bug back in 2018 that I submitted that caused crashes during rendering with GI. It happened when certain kinds of nodes like bump maps were fed through a nodal network a specific way. It took lots of work to narrow down that one. Just an example that these kinds of cashes can be caused by the most seemingly unlikely of things.
    Threadripper 2990WX, X399 MSI MEG Creation, 64GB 2400Mhz RAM, GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

https://www.dynamicrenderings.com/

Tim,

As a "what if" (if you haven't already), try setting your max threads to 10 or 11 instead of the full 12 as shown.
    "Never be a cat in a cartoon. Never." Chief Wiggum

6000x6000, ofc :P
    English is not my native language so please be patient.

Salvador Ureņa
    http://urenasalvador.wixsite.com/portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Parsons View Post
    Is anybody having issues rendering medium resolution scenes? I'm having issues of Layout crashing during F9/F10renderings at resolutions of like say 3072 x 2048. This particular scene has crashed while rendering on two different PC's - one with 32gigs and the other with 64 - so I don't think it's a RAM issue, plus I'm not using interpolated GI. I am using 2,000,000 fiber instances on the carpet, but I've had crashes without instances as well. Most of the time I render without the fibers on and then go back and do a limited region render of the carpet with them on. LW was always so rock solid during rendering and now with it being so slow you pretty much need to start a render and then go home. It's pretty disappointing to come into the office in the morning and see Layout not there and no image saved.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RenderCrash.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	146262
    I've not experienced any crashes yet with this version of LW. I am rendering at around the same sizes as you without any problems. Does the crash happen at around the same time during the render?

Quote Originally Posted by Axis3d View Post
    I've not experienced any crashes yet with this version of LW. I am rendering at around the same sizes as you without any problems. Does the crash happen at around the same time during the render?
    TBH, I don't know. I'm usually not around when I'm rendering at these higher resolutions.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ma3rk View Post
    Tim,

As a "what if" (if you haven't already), try setting your max threads to 10 or 11 instead of the full 12 as shown.
    Thanks for the heads up on that - worth a try.
    Tim Parsons
    Technical Designer
    Sauder Woodworking Co.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast