Thread: Demogorgon

Demogorgon

I'm having some fun creating the Stranger Things Upside Down in After Effects and I wanted to add a demogorgon to the scene so I modelled one. Because I know next to nothing about character animation I didn't want to take a base mesh into Zbrush and add details galore and end up with a crazy poly count so I decided to model one completely in LW and I've ended up with a model that is "only" 11,300 polys. I've done my best to keep the topology clean but some of the modelling is horrific (tris galore) - but at least most of these areas are not in joint areas.

I need some advice as to how to go about animating this thing. Is bones or skelegons the best way to go. Having had an hour or so playing around with bones and seeing how they work it seems they will only be in the scene in layout and I'd have to re-create them if I created a new scene, is that correct? I know there is Genoma but I want to actually learn how bones work and I cannot get Genoma to work how I would expect - but I would suspect that is my lack of knowledge more than anything else.

Also how would you go about animating the flower face? Bones or endomorphs? I need them to open violently and "shudder" so to speak. Using bones I've managed to get them to open but they act like the pods in Alien.

The very next job will be the texturing, anyone know a good way to create yukky, slimey human-esque skin?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DemogorgonWireframe1.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	146.1 KB 
ID:	146258Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DemogorgonWireframe2.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	69.3 KB 
ID:	146259Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DemogorgonWireframe3.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	120.7 KB 
ID:	146260Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DemogorgonWireframe4.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	268.1 KB 
ID:	146261
    Adrian.

"Dreams are good, but memories are better"

Seems hard to have control over any shudder with endomorphs, bones and ik booster to perform some shaking perhaps, perhaps with some forces affecting ik booster bone dynamics.

Also how would you go about animating the flower face? Bones or endomorphs?
    Bones. no doubt.  

for that i'd actually use IKB = fast.

for the main body, IKB or RHiggit.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Thanks guys, I'll look into IK Booster as I have no idea what that is :-) I have Rhiggit but like Genoma I can't get it to work properly (meshes completely deform beyond recognition).
    Adrian.

Thanks, definately going to get that training course. IKB seems the way to go for sure.
    Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    yes, the learn lightwave 3d is quite new to the scene, and looks interesting, I need to look at them myself soon to see what I have missed,
    Then ryan roys proffesional series is also something that has been of my interest, his narrative is very good

All the learn Lightwave 3d vids..
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHF...nxUDwqg/videos

Ik booster is a bit tricky at first, especially finding out how and where to apply it, Modify/tools, click on Ik booster tool, and then you hover over the object in layout and find the objects pivot center, right click and apply, there is also a way of applying it in the objects properties/geometry/add custom object.

After that You have the ikb menu..almost hidden tiny yellow ikb menu text just over the animation play controls, there you right click and can activate bone dynamics, you have to use
    the ikb calculate button under ikbooste tool button to see the effect of ikb dynamics working.

If you add a wind with turbulence, or maybe better, a directional wind with a fractal texture like ripple in itīs vector channels, and make sure the wind has a radial size that only covers the bone needed, also ..you may want to turn of ik booster internal gravity.

Bullet bone dynamics is also an option, maybe could be better, but I find it harder to setup bone chains than working with skelegons for instance.

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    yes, the learn lightwave 3d is quite new to the scene, and looks interesting, I need to look at them myself soon to see what I have missed,
    Then ryan roys proffesional series is also something that has been of my interest, his narrative is very good

All the learn Lightwave 3d vids..
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHF...nxUDwqg/videos

Ik booster is a bit tricky at first, especially finding out how and where to apply it, Modify/tools, click on Ik booster tool, and then you hover over the object in layout and find the objects pivot center, right click and apply, there is also a way of applying it in the objects properties/geometry/add custom object.

After that You have the ikb menu..almost hidden tiny yellow ikb menu text just over the animation play controls, there you right click and can activate bone dynamics, you have to use
    the ikb calculate button under ikbooste tool button to see the effect of ikb dynamics working.

If you add a wind with turbulence, or maybe better, a directional wind with a fractal texture like ripple in itīs vector channels, and make sure the wind has a radial size that only covers the bone needed, also ..you may want to turn of ik booster internal gravity.

Bullet bone dynamics is also an option, maybe could be better, but I find it harder to setup bone chains than working with skelegons for instance.
    I'm hoping Ryan's course will take the viewer from very first principles - having watched the promo of his course it looks like it does which is exactly what I need. I'll post updates of my progress in this thread :-)
    Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by adrian View Post
    I'm hoping Ryan's course will take the viewer from very first principles - having watched the promo of his course it looks like it does which is exactly what I need. I'll post updates of my progress in this thread :-)
    Yes..I figured that is the course to look at, please get back and give us some feedback on both the course and the progress when youīre up to it.

Absolutely will do :-) I have a day off from work this Friday when I plan to buy it and delve right in. I'm also working on the textures for the model.
    Adrian.