Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Demogorgon

Demogorgon

I'm having some fun creating the Stranger Things Upside Down in After Effects and I wanted to add a demogorgon to the scene so I modelled one. Because I know next to nothing about character animation I didn't want to take a base mesh into Zbrush and add details galore and end up with a crazy poly count so I decided to model one completely in LW and I've ended up with a model that is "only" 11,300 polys. I've done my best to keep the topology clean but some of the modelling is horrific (tris galore) - but at least most of these areas are not in joint areas.

I need some advice as to how to go about animating this thing. Is bones or skelegons the best way to go. Having had an hour or so playing around with bones and seeing how they work it seems they will only be in the scene in layout and I'd have to re-create them if I created a new scene, is that correct? I know there is Genoma but I want to actually learn how bones work and I cannot get Genoma to work how I would expect - but I would suspect that is my lack of knowledge more than anything else.

Also how would you go about animating the flower face? Bones or endomorphs? I need them to open violently and "shudder" so to speak. Using bones I've managed to get them to open but they act like the pods in Alien.

The very next job will be the texturing, anyone know a good way to create yukky, slimey human-esque skin?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DemogorgonWireframe1.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	146.1 KB 
ID:	146258Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DemogorgonWireframe2.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	69.3 KB 
ID:	146259Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DemogorgonWireframe3.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	120.7 KB 
ID:	146260Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DemogorgonWireframe4.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	268.1 KB 
ID:	146261
    Adrian.

"Dreams are good, but memories are better"

Seems hard to have control over any shudder with endomorphs, bones and ik booster to perform some shaking perhaps, perhaps with some forces affecting ik booster bone dynamics.

Also how would you go about animating the flower face? Bones or endomorphs?
    Bones. no doubt.  

for that i'd actually use IKB = fast.

for the main body, IKB or RHiggit.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Thanks guys, I'll look into IK Booster as I have no idea what that is :-) I have Rhiggit but like Genoma I can't get it to work properly (meshes completely deform beyond recognition).
    Adrian.

Thanks, definately going to get that training course. IKB seems the way to go for sure.
    Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    yes, the learn lightwave 3d is quite new to the scene, and looks interesting, I need to look at them myself soon to see what I have missed,
    Then ryan roys proffesional series is also something that has been of my interest, his narrative is very good

All the learn Lightwave 3d vids..
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHF...nxUDwqg/videos

Ik booster is a bit tricky at first, especially finding out how and where to apply it, Modify/tools, click on Ik booster tool, and then you hover over the object in layout and find the objects pivot center, right click and apply, there is also a way of applying it in the objects properties/geometry/add custom object.

After that You have the ikb menu..almost hidden tiny yellow ikb menu text just over the animation play controls, there you right click and can activate bone dynamics, you have to use
    the ikb calculate button under ikbooste tool button to see the effect of ikb dynamics working.

If you add a wind with turbulence, or maybe better, a directional wind with a fractal texture like ripple in itīs vector channels, and make sure the wind has a radial size that only covers the bone needed, also ..you may want to turn of ik booster internal gravity.

Bullet bone dynamics is also an option, maybe could be better, but I find it harder to setup bone chains than working with skelegons for instance.

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    yes, the learn lightwave 3d is quite new to the scene, and looks interesting, I need to look at them myself soon to see what I have missed,
    Then ryan roys proffesional series is also something that has been of my interest, his narrative is very good

All the learn Lightwave 3d vids..
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHF...nxUDwqg/videos

Ik booster is a bit tricky at first, especially finding out how and where to apply it, Modify/tools, click on Ik booster tool, and then you hover over the object in layout and find the objects pivot center, right click and apply, there is also a way of applying it in the objects properties/geometry/add custom object.

After that You have the ikb menu..almost hidden tiny yellow ikb menu text just over the animation play controls, there you right click and can activate bone dynamics, you have to use
    the ikb calculate button under ikbooste tool button to see the effect of ikb dynamics working.

If you add a wind with turbulence, or maybe better, a directional wind with a fractal texture like ripple in itīs vector channels, and make sure the wind has a radial size that only covers the bone needed, also ..you may want to turn of ik booster internal gravity.

Bullet bone dynamics is also an option, maybe could be better, but I find it harder to setup bone chains than working with skelegons for instance.
    I'm hoping Ryan's course will take the viewer from very first principles - having watched the promo of his course it looks like it does which is exactly what I need. I'll post updates of my progress in this thread :-)
    Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by adrian View Post
    I'm hoping Ryan's course will take the viewer from very first principles - having watched the promo of his course it looks like it does which is exactly what I need. I'll post updates of my progress in this thread :-)
    Yes..I figured that is the course to look at, please get back and give us some feedback on both the course and the progress when youīre up to it.

Absolutely will do :-) I have a day off from work this Friday when I plan to buy it and delve right in. I'm also working on the textures for the model.
    Adrian.

Happy New Year to everyone. Over the past few weeks I have been throwing myself into studying bones and CA. Below is a video of a couple of tests and I have some questions:

1) Why do his feet still appear to glide along the ground even though I have "fixed" the feet bones?
    2) When he stands up the movement looks mechanical and not organic, how do I fix this?
    3) Following on from question 2, how do you use the scene editor as it seems unmanagable to me with all the bones listed - I find it almost impossible to select specific keyframes

Honestly I have so many more questions but this would be the longest post ever. I'm trying to understand rigging and IKBooster but it's doing my head in. I've attached the rig I created - would someone be able to help me with explaining why some of the bones do not rotate the way I want them? I've tried using edit skelegons/twist bones but both options just give me different unwanted results.

In the videos I've watched (countless times!) they all make it look so easy - but it seems I make one little change and the character flies off into the air or on a certain frame the mesh will "flip" 180 degrees for no obvious reason!! I have lurched from desperation to exasperation because I do not understand why things do not work - so frustrating!!! Considering I have come from a place of not knowing a single thing about CA / Bones / IKBooster I am trying to keep a sense of perspective as I can at least now animate it... sort of.

As for Ryan Roye's training course the first thing to say about it is this is not a beginner's course by any means, ie if you know nothing or very little about bones and how they work then it'll be of little if any use. The course iteself looks to be incredibly detailed with loads of information packed into it but alas I cannot make use of any of it because I don't know what he's talking about. He does also provide scenes that can be studied but again you need a definite understanding of the subject matter in order to know what you're looking at. He uses something called "bone deformers" (I think). Why? How do you set them up? How do you use them? All totally above my head....

I hope one day to be able to take advantage of the wealth of information in the course.

If anyone can give me any pointers on no doubt the many things wrong with the rig and why they're wrong that would be most awesome :-) Honestly I'd be happy with just one piece of advice to hang on to... anything to keep me motivated enough to keep learning more because I'm at the point where I feel it's all totally useless and pointless trying to do this in LW, it's one brick wall after another.

Sorry for the long post (and moaning!)

Attached Files Attached Files
    Adrian.

I won't attempt to answer all your questions, but try one of them:

His feet probably slip due to non-linear keyframes, or maybe your foot rig controllers are being moved by another part of your rig?

When I'm animating characters I never use the Scene Editor to edit my keyframes... it's too difficult.
    I keep the graph editor open at all times, and make a list of favourite items so I can always have quick access to them when I require them.

To stop your feet moving, check out all the bones keyframes and make sure they're set to linear at the points you want them to be still.
    LairdSquared | 3D Design & Animation

Desk Work:
    HP Z840, Dual Xeon E5-2690 v2, 32GB RAM, Quadro K5000 4GB
    Desk Home:
    HP Z620, Dual Xeon E5-2680, 80GB RAM, Geforce 1050 Ti 4GB

Thanks for the suggestion, I will give this a go. I thought I had cracked the issue yesterday by changing the bone strength of the foot bones to 1000% (up from 100%) and whilst the feet stay completely solid on the ground when I move the object in place, if I then create keyframes over a period of time then the feet will start to move - especially if I move the character up or down. So maybe the linear setting will be it. Or maybe my rig is the problem.

Would anyone recommend this character animation course? Doesn't look like it's IKBooster based though.

http://www.learn3dsoftware.com/lw_an...uman_vol_1.htm

EDIT: Changing keyframes to Linear makes no difference, other than the fact that it makes the mesh flip 180 degrees for one frame.
    Last edited by adrian; 01-07-2020 at 08:59 AM.
    Adrian.

Well this is all I managed to create, all very lame but I'm at least happy with the very end shot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efhq...ature=youtu.be
    Adrian.

Or, if you want it to look a bit better, don't use linear, use TCB Spline. select the points at either end of where the foot stays stationary and turn tension up to 1.0
    This will make movement a bit more natural.

Great to see you bringing this to life. Nice one

p.s. Just watched your latest video... that is looking good. A fun project to learn on.
    Last edited by Kaptive; 01-22-2020 at 05:32 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast