Thread: Colored Reflections

Colored Reflections

I'm trying to simulate tinted glass or clear tinted plastic. I'm using the Principled BSDF material editor and I don't see a way to get tinted reflections from it. All other attributes of the material look great but my reference photos show tinted reflections from their surfaces (all other colors being absorbed by the tinted glass). Is there a way to simulate that attribute in that material node or should I be using something else? Thanks for facts and quirky opinions!
    Mac Pro Dual Quad Core, 6 GB RAM, NVIDIA QuadroFX 2000 2GB Ram, 2 TB HardDrive LW 2019

I Wished My Brain Came With A Manual... I could look up everything I've learned sorted by topic...

You probably need to be using Dielectric instead of PrincipledBSDF, as you appear to be seeking absorption-related tinting, and while Dielectric supports absorption, I don't believe PrincipledBSDF supports a color value for that. Also, remember that absorption is the dominant absorbed color, not the resultant transmission tinting.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.4 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),32GB RAM, NV 980ti

Thanks for the tip... Nice of you guys to help out.
    Mac Pro Dual Quad Core, 6 GB RAM, NVIDIA QuadroFX 2000 2GB Ram, 2 TB HardDrive LW 2019

I Wished My Brain Came With A Manual... I could look up everything I've learned sorted by topic...

My experiments with real-world tinted plastic is that the light reflected from the surface is not colored. You may be asking about "caustics" which are internal reflections where the light actually passes through a portion of the material before being reflected or refracted outward such that the absorption characteristics of the material would color the light.

If you can post one of your reference images, it might be easier to propose a solution. The Dielectric material has no reflection from the surface of the object, so if you want that you may need to combine it with a Conductor material (or other reflective Material) using Material Mixer.

mTp
    Last edited by MonroePoteet; 11-10-2019 at 01:07 PM. Reason: typo - Dielectric

in the standard presets, the clear plastic actually gives you a good starting point, just change the colour, has a nice bump in it that distorts the reflection like injection moulded plastic
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	plastic render.JPG 
Views:	43 
Size:	174.3 KB 
ID:	146268
    Intel i9 7980xe, Asus Rampage Vi extreme, 2x NVIDIA GTX1070ti, 64GB DDR4 3200 corsair vengeance,
    http://digitawn.co.uk https://www.shapeways.com/shops/digi...ction=Cars&s=0

Sorry for the really long delay, my operating system is crashing and I am not able to access files at the moment. Thank you for the suggestions. I'll try the tips and advice once I'm up and running again.