Thread: How to use downloaded animations on my character

How to use downloaded animations on my character

I am trying to figure out how to download an animation and apply it to my character mesh (for example using MOCAP files and the like)

In my research on the topic I run into the use of NevronMotion as one method but that doesn't appear in the recent version of Lightwave that I can see. I've seen references to RHiggit as well.

For example I have downloaded a simple motion from Turbosquid cheerleader dancer 19

https://www.turbosquid.com/FullPrevi....cfm/ID/694872

It has an FBX file and a BVH

I can import the animation easy enough but I can't seem to figure how to retarget it to my character (doing it with some stock character would also be helpful)

I've looked for tutorials and information in the manual but I can't seem to find anything that gets me going in the right direction.

I'd appreciate any and all suggestions.

thanks!
    Last edited by James Moore; 11-08-2019 at 12:38 PM.

You probably need Ryan Royes mocap plugin.
    I have used it with Daz characters, and works very well.
    Mac Pro (2010) OSX 10.13 RX580 Pulse LW2019

Thanks for the suggestion markc I did a search for "Ryan Royes mocap plugin" and came up with rrtools. Maybe that's the plugin you are referring to?

I am trying to figure out a method in LW without a purchase plugin that may do it if possible.

Greenlaw wrote in a thread a few year's back

"FBX does not support IK and scripted rig features because that tends to be program specific. It should preserve all nulls/locaters and all bones though. You'll have to add any special controls, like IK, in your animation program. This is why many LightWave animators use Merge Only Motion Envelopes when transferring animation from another program--this way they can use motions created elsewhere (like mocap, for example,) and apply it directly to a rig specifically setup for LightWave"

https://forums.newtek.com/showthread...30-FBX-Imports

It is the "merge only motion envelopes" idea I have been pursuing at the moment.

I can "load items from scene" and select the FBX I downloaded while checking off "merge only motion envelopes" in the second requestor and I will get two objects with a bone hierarchy that demonstrates the motion from the downloaded FBX. This is in Layout.

It is the next step that I can't seem to figure out. I can't take that moving bone structure and make it affect my Mesh. I've tried adding the Genoma MOCAP rig to my mesh but I can't get that animated motion in the FBX to change my mesh.

In short, I'm trying to figure out the part in Greenlaw's sentence "...and apply it directly to a rig specifically setup for LightWave" How does one "apply" it (and what would a "rig specifically set up" look like.

I hope the above makes some sense

many ways... One >

LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Goes bump in the night RebelHill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by James Moore View Post
    How does one "apply" it (and what would a "rig specifically set up" look like.
    Thus...

http://rebelhill.net/html/lwandfbx.html
    LSR Surface and Rendering Tuts.
    RHiggit Rigging and Animation Tools
    RHA Animation Tutorials
    RHR Rigging Tutorials
    RHN Nodal Tutorials
    YT Vids Tuts for all

Erikals,
    Thanks for that tutorial. I'll give IK boost a try.

RebelHill,
    Thanks for that link but I'm a little confused by what I found there. The details and the 5 parts contain no links and just a text summary. What is that referring to? Where do I find these details?

Quote Originally Posted by James Moore View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion markc I did a search for "Ryan Royes mocap plugin" and came up with rrtools. Maybe that's the plugin you are referring to?
    James this is the plugin I was referring.

https://www.liberty3d.com/store/tool...mocap-utility/
    Mac Pro (2010) OSX 10.13 RX580 Pulse LW2019