Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DDR2 in new TC1/Tricaster version

DDR2 in new TC1/Tricaster version

Hello.

Since upgrading all our Tricasters to the newest versions, we're having lots of issues with DDR2. DDR2 sometimes plays, but then it gets stuck on the last frame of a preset, and becomes completely unresponsive. Can't click anything. Play anything. Go forward or backward. Just DDR2. DDR1 is fine, and continues to be fine. Happens in all 4 of our large Tricasters.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Imry

Correction. Both DDR1. DDR1 just started misbehaving as well.

This issue has been maddening. It happens on both our TC1s. With different video content.
    We tried old versions of the software (Aug. 2019), current versions, and unreleased beta versions.
    No luck.

Tried creating new sessions. No luck.

I'm working on setting up for tonight's basketball broadcast right now.
    Restarted the session. Both DDRs worked well.
    Checked every preset. All good.

Moved on to other things. Checked transition macros. Checked all sources. Checked audio.
    Came back to DDR2, not working at all. Can't play any video.

I really don't know why. Or how.

It's very difficult to explain exactly what it feels like.
    It's as though a video in a DDR preset is playing, and you try to scrub through a video on a different preset in the same DDR2.
    The scrubber moves, but it doesn't do anything.

That's what happens here. It's not stuck. Everything is responsive.
    I can add videos to any DDR present. No issues at all.
    But I can't play anything. It's as though it's stuck on the last frame of the last video it played, and can't move on.

If I remove ALL the videos from ALL the presets in the DDR, the problem stays the same. The problem only goes away if I restart the session. Sometimes it just goes away on its own too. No way to tell.

Has anyone else seen this issue?
    Last edited by imryh; 11-08-2019 at 12:49 PM.

Between the beta and other things were you ever prompted for updating the graphics card at all? Maybe try earlier driver there if so?

I was prompted to update it...and did. Thanks for trying!

Yeah but if this is new behavior after updating and being prompted to update GPU and you have the problem with new and old newtek software Im suggesting a downgrade of nvidia as something to try.

Issue has been resolved. Apparently, the codec the TC1 uses to transcode/import files with transparency was causing this issue. When files are exported from NLE using newer Newtek codec and not transcoded in TC1, the problem goes away.

Thanks QA and Kane for figuring this out and helping us!

Interesting. Good find, that one seems a bit tricky.

Seriously, you would think NewTek would drop everything they are doing and fix this immediately! We almost had a live broadcast completely ruined by this today. This is something so basic that we should just be able to trust it to be working correctly. Can anyone at NewTek confirm that a fix is coming soon?

Quote Originally Posted by Johan Folke View Post
    Seriously, you would think NewTek would drop everything they are doing and fix this immediately! We almost had a live broadcast completely ruined by this today. This is something so basic that we should just be able to trust it to be working correctly. Can anyone at NewTek confirm that a fix is coming soon?
    What the hell newtek? This nearly brought down our show again. Seriously can you guys give us an update? This is ridiculous. I'm not about to go reencode 50+ lower thirds for a work around to a problem that NEVER should be an issue in the first place...

Could anyone from Newtek please chime in on this? We need to be able to play videos with alpha...

We know about this issue and we understand the urgency. A patch will be out very soon that addresses the issue. We have fixes in testing to address both the transcoding side and the playback side - the upshot of fixing both sides is that no reencoding will be necessary with once the fix is released if you'd prefer not to. I'm very sorry to everyone who ran into this issue in the first place.
    Nathan Kovner
    Software Engineering
    NewTek, Inc.

Until this patch is released a workaround is to export your alpha channel media using Adobe After Effects on Windows. Export AVI files in 'SpeedHQ 4:2:2:4 (DCT Alpha)' and load the flies directly into the DDR (do not use the import tool).

Unfortunately, the OSX version of After Effect doesn't support exporting in this format.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Any news on the update? A month has passed since this was first reported here on the forum....

My suggestion to NewTek is that you create a formal testing protocol that each new update needs to pass before being released. It doesn’t have to encompass every fringe use case, but basic stuff like video playback, recording, audio capture etc, should be thoroughly tested. People who rely on their Tricaster everyday should be able to trust it to perform at least the basics. I always make a backup before updating, but sometimes a production breaking bug shows up when there is no time to restore from that backup. I don’t want to spend hours running my own tests to verify that everything works for each update. That’s honestly part of what NewTek should be doing for non-beta releases.

For everyone experiencing this issue, the new release that contains this fix will be announced very soon. As soon as it is available it you can grab it using "Check for Updates".
    Nathan Kovner
    Software Engineering
    NewTek, Inc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast