Thread: Liquid Particles?

Liquid Particles?

I'm in need of help as I have seem to be working in circles. I'm working on a project and I'm attempting to get a look with particles that is similar to water coming out of a pressurized spray. Possibly similar to a house spray painter. Starts out of a nozzle that sprays out and in a line type of spray. So primarily moving away via the x and z axis and very little on the y. Is this effect possible in Lightwave without purchasing a $100+ plugin?

Thank you all in advance!

Todd

Well, asking the obvious first, have you tried (with particleFx) adjusting the initial X and Z velocities (and variations) for the particles to give the kind of spray "spread" you're seeking?

What kind of specific issues are you having with shaping the spray/spread of the particles over time?

Or are you just asking if it's even feasible? If so, the answer is yes, it's feasible, though if you're looking to have the sprayed particles behave like water when hitting surfaces, etc. then a lot of the feasibility will depend on how detailed and accurate you need the results to appear. ParticleFx and Hypervoxels will definitely get you close, though.

If you're just starting with PFX and HVs, this is a decent starting point (search "lightwave particles hypervoxels" on YouTube for more):

William Vaughn - Rain Splash Tutorial
    Last edited by jwiede; 11-04-2019 at 08:30 PM.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.4 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),32GB RAM, NV 980ti

If you're feeling adventurous, there's always Blender. People have had a lot of success importing into Lightwave.

Even if you're not interested in purchasing a plugin, you should give the Deep Rising FX demo a try. The results may be satisfactory (for free).

For complex simulations though, nothing beats a dedicated solution in my opinion.

Of course, it depends on the effect you're trying to achieve, but simply having a stream of "paint" come from a shaped nozzle to cover an object is feasible with just ParticleFX. A quick LW 2015 sample scene attached (you didn't indicate what version of LW):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ParticleFX_Spraypaint_StickyCollision_rgb001.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	72.3 KB 
ID:	146230 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ParticleFX_Spraypaint_StickyCollision_rgb020.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	75.6 KB 
ID:	146231

Name:	ParticleFX_Spraypaint_StickyCollision_rgb060.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	75.7 KB 
ID:	146232 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ParticleFX_Spraypaint_StickyCollision_rgb160.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	78.1 KB 
ID:	146233

Name:	ParticleFX_Spraypaint_StickyCollision_rgb240.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	79.7 KB 
ID:	146234

ParticleFX_Spraypaint_StickyCollision.mov MOV File

I don't have time for a full writeup-up, but the nozzle is a box sized (1,0.1,0.1) to get a wide spray pattern:

Name:	ParticleEmitter_WideSprayNozzle.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	840.6 KB 
ID:	146236

The Hypervoxels are stretched in Velocity which cause them to be stretched in the "spray" but not so when they stop on the Wall. The wall is set up as a Sticky Collision object:

Name:	Collision_ParticlesStickToWall.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	861.5 KB 
ID:	146237

The size of the HVs is ramped up with a Particle Speed Gradient to make them spread out on the wall when they stop, and the HV Density also has a Particle Speed Gradient to may the spray less dense but the painted wall more so:

Name:	SpreadOnWall_ParticleSpeedGradient.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	146238

Good luck!
    mTp
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks so much for posting this! I'm working on a project where a derivative of this technique could be very helpful. It's always interesting to see how other artists workflows apply a particular technique in an innovative way.

Cheers!

CC

pretty cool mTp  
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Thanks! Hope it helps!

BTW, if a wide Emitter isn't desirable, the wide horizontal spray pattern can also be attained using a small square Emitter and oscillating the Emitter in Heading and setting the Etc=>Parent Motion to 0%. For example:

Name:	ParticleFX_WideSpraySpread_OscillateEmitterInX.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	1.19 MB 
ID:	146242

mTp

Nice to have another option in my back pocket. Thanks again!

CC