Thread: Multiple FiberFx colors/styles

Multiple FiberFx colors/styles

I don't use FiberFx often so forgive me if this is a dumb question.

I have an object with two surfaces each needs different colors of fibers/style but when I activate both surfaces in the fiberfx panel they are seemingly both linked. Also in the surface editor there is only one fiberfx surface called "fiber".

Is this is a bug or am I missing something?

if this is a dumb question.
    not at all.  

FiberFx doesn't use standard Modeler Surfaces. It can use a weightmap tho.

alternative > vertexmap > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDQ8wkyrZmY
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

You need to determine how you'll define the surfacing/style differences for the two different "areas" of fibers, as that'll drive the rest. For example, if the two areas will be almost identical fiber properties, with only minor surfacing differences (color, etc.), then having a single body of fibers using a weightmap to select between "areas" (and nodally adjust color for the fibers' surface in each area) makes sense.

OTOH, if the fibers themselves in each area are likely to be substantially different, or involve different distributions, etc. then you might want to use two distinct FFX instances, where each surface's area on the object serves as the "root" for its own FFX instance. From there, each FFX instance can have its own fiber properties, distribution, surface definition, and so forth. It'll definitely be more work up-front, but will also give maximum flexibility in terms of controlling how each surface's fibers appear.

If you can clarify whether you're intending to approach this using a single FFX instance with nodally-differentiated fiber appearance/properties, or two distinct FFX instances, that'll make it much easier for folks here to help you.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.4 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),32GB RAM, NV 980ti