Thread: ClothFx instantly

ClothFx instantly

Hello,

I have my cloth calculate but I would like to use it without waiting for the end of gravity effect. There is the .mdd file but is it the solution?

Thank you.

As far as I know, yes. You calculate out the movement once, save it as a MDD, then use that to move the cloth from then on. The main draw back is if you need to make any changes, you have to run ClothFx again and then save new MDD.

Because of this, cloth dynamics is one of the last things I do in my scene, that way, everything else is just the way I like it and I hopefully don't have to make any changes to the scene that would force me to also make changed to the cloth effects.

Good Luck,

Thank you Oldcode

With Blender, it is possible to freeze the fabric => create a mesh once the fabric has been calculated, for example to cut polygons of the mesh of the fabric. This obviously allows to adjust the size of a fabric.
    Lightwave can do it?

freeze the fabric => create a mesh
    sort of, you have to use Save / Save Object / Save Transformed, then open it in Modeler.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

I look here, thank you erikals

Quote Originally Posted by Obi View Post
    You can also save out the mdd from clothfx and import the mdd in to blender if you want to use blenders sculpting extracting tools, paint a mask and extract mesh, or remeshing in there, remember to save out object file as well which it of course needs.

Happy 2 Help...

You can also save out the mdd from clothfx and import the mdd in to blender if you want to use blenders sculpting extracting tools, paint a mask and extract mesh, or remeshing in there, remember to save out object file as well which it of course needs.
    Sure, but that is overboard for this NT forum i think, I mean, there are ways to do it in Houdini too.
    It's not that i have anything against [B]. I used it last time yesterday.
    Last edited by erikals; 11-04-2019 at 01:48 PM.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post

Happy 2 Help...

Sure, but that is overboard for this NT forum i think, I mean, there are ways to do it in Houdini too.
    It's not that i have anything against [B]. I used it last time yesterday.
    In my eyes, it is not overboard at all.. since the Thread starter is using certain technichues to freeze and extract a mesh from clothfx, and since he also obviously use blender, it was worthwhile to mention this ..in such event he didnīt know about it.

It was very little off topic and very little promotion of something else, it was a workflow tip...especially since you can not do such extractions in Lightwave at all in the same manner with a brush paint.
    And it is also effectively using both Lightwave and blender with mdd combo.

Well, Chronosculpt could likely be used for some editing of the MDD-deformed mesh as well, though I doubt it'd work too well for the kind of substantial poly excisions, etc. the OP seems to require.

My question for the OP is why they're still using ClothFx, instead of using Bullet?
    Last edited by jwiede; 11-04-2019 at 07:08 PM.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.4 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),32GB RAM, NV 980ti

Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    Well, Chronosculpt could likely be used for some editing of the MDD-deformed mesh as well, though I doubt it'd work too well for the kind of substantial poly excisions, etc. the OP seems to require.

My question for the OP is why they're still using ClothFx, instead of using Bullet?
    sure, but I think he wanted to cut out polygons from the dynamic simulation, so not sure if he really have any use for a brush sculpting tool, like chronosculpt or metamorphic, none of these can cut out a part of the clotfx simulated part, while in blender you have the mesh extract function from a painted mask area, similar to zbrush...in lightwave it would have to be manual copy or cut with selections.

Anyone..it may be just too unclear what he need and wants, so Iīll leave it at that.