Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 10 Questions to an Alien visiting.

Quote Originally Posted by scallahan1 View Post
    I'm gonna guess that it'll be more like "The Day the Earth Stood Still" (original) and they'll ultimatum us about how dangerous we'll be to the "civilised" universe and that we better get our act together or it's curtains for us.

They're probably coming here interdimensionally already and are laughing at our 3dimensional concepts and how we perceive time. Like Douglass Adams would say, we've been listed as "Mostly Harmless"

Steve-o

PS> We've been "Space Quarantined". LOL
    Yes, that may be a possibility, but if you say..no do not do that to the Child Humankind, we will not act on it until we are absolutely sure to understand why we can not go on as we do, or elae we will ignore it..unless being very aware of the horrible consequences..and maybe to be wiped out of existence because of our threat to other species in the universe.

Given the various opinion on environment and what to believe and understanding to be as the "truth" and if and why we need to change, we also understand that it isnīt so easy to understand without the means to do so.
    So an advanced civilization would be helpful to us if they can make it very clear and understandable of what we are doing wrong, if they can put their experience and knowledge in hindsight for us, we wouldnīt have much to argue about.

But then again, how many times do we not tell our catīs to not jump up on the dinner table when we are eating, but still..they are doing it. and the thing is, we are not so advanced in communicating ..not to the point that we can make catīs understand us fully..and sometimes they seem just like devils anyway.

Wait! "fleshy headed mutant........are you a threat to society??!?!?!?" -slf2024vice=trump!(believe it!)*7=1

NDI Camera
    TriCaster Mini Advanced Edition
    Lightwave 11
    SpeedEdit 2.5

Music by www.soundtraxxmusic.com

not impossible.  
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

I think a read of Heinlein's Starship Troopers would be a worthwhile exercise...

Quote Originally Posted by scallahan1 View Post
    I'm gonna guess that it'll be more like "The Day the Earth Stood Still" (original) and they'll ultimatum us about how dangerous we'll be to the "civilised" universe and that we better get our act together or it's curtains for us.

They're probably coming here interdimensionally already and are laughing at our 3dimensional concepts and how we perceive time. Like Douglass Adams would say, we've been listed as "Mostly Harmless"

Steve-o

Not impossible, but for me it still sounds like very Unlikely... and itīs something I do not believe have ever occured, in such case,had they been here already..I would think we would have seen them help out in some way, or that we would have noticed itīs presence in a much stronger way than ghosts, small miracles etc.
    And no...my clock has never jumped back and forth in morse code, telling me to do something different some day
    At that level ..these multidimensional being would harness powers like "Gods" and we havenīt really seen solid proof of that either on our world.
    But I am stopping further discussion on that topic due to forum rules.

A civilization even managing jumping in wormholes, assuming it actually can be done etc, that is one thing, but interdimensionally that is at a whole new dimension so to speak.

We can look at how such event to this day may have impacted our choices indivdually, per country and for the planet as whole, and start thinking about...was there ever something that really changed our world to a much much better place..that can not be explained logicly otherwise?

They'll be ALIEN. Alien physiology, alien motives, alien environment, alien experiential basis. It might take generations just for us to communicate with them at all, and they might not be up for waiting around.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.4 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),32GB RAM, NV 980ti

well, i need space-dollars, so hope they land soon.

Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    They'll be ALIEN. Alien physiology, alien motives, alien environment, alien experiential basis. It might take generations just for us to communicate with them at all, and they might not be up for waiting around.
    Well I wonder, would it really be that difficult? I mean...we can not communicate fully with other species here on earth, but to note is that we humans are the only species amongst estimated 8.7 millions, that can put it on print or provide images to help out in language, chimps can do some choices on symbols we learn them to recognize.

If we as humans were to find a species not far away, assuming we could get there...and that species would be just a little less advanced, or just a little more advanced than us, then I do not see how it could be that difficult to communicate in a logic way....if they were so much more advanced technological and much much more advanced in their brain, I am sure they could find a way to understand us, just as we can analyze lower species way of communicating to certain degree, and if so they would probably provide us with helping tools or a scheme on how they will go about communicating with us, so we learn their way perhaps.

All this assumes they would have an interest of stopping by and actually try and communicate, if we do not have anything of interest for the Aliens? ...well then I donīt think they would even stop in the neighbourhood.
    We can also think of it this way, would we today ...or several thousands of years in the future, not be interested in Any kind of life form on other planets, I doubt that we would just go..meh, seen that..and go on to something else without bothering.

Then again, this is human thinking.

Language development is a fundamental step in sentience, we've understood that for some time. We're finally even beginning to understand how the relationship between langauge and abstractions allows massive acceleration and efficiency benefits towards developing more complex thoughts, and how fundamentally language development is tied to the ability for a given sentience to retain and manipulate complex mental abstractions. Exposure to a much advanced species' language and thought processes is, for all intents and purposes, no different from exposure to their much more advanced developments, because their ability to work with the latter is intrinsically tied to their abilities w.r.t. the former.

In the most likely scenario, an alien visitor that needed to communicate (presuming they could, and had any regard for us -- if they don't they'll simply eradicate us or use us as resources), would do so using our languages, and from a position of blending in with us as much as they're capable of doing so, because any exposure of us of their culture, language, technology, etc. would be exceedingly dangerous for us and our future development.

If an alien did casually expose us to their language or display technology, that would more likely be a giant waving red flag that we need to treat them as hostiles, because it would mean they don't care if they harm us, as demonstrated by their exposing us to developments far more advanced than our own.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.4 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),32GB RAM, NV 980ti

Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post

If an alien did casually expose us to their language or display technology, that would more likely be a giant waving red flag that we need to treat them as hostiles, because it would mean they don't care if they harm us, as demonstrated by their exposing us to developments far more advanced than our own.

Yes, perhaps so..kind of like putting a 5 year old in to a car and tell the kid to drive to school.

Reflecting over the scifi movie "Contact" which I loved...despite some awkward moments and perhaps errors in reality matching.

In the case of that movie premise, they are sending a message, giving us their technology to try and build a machine so we can travel to their neigbourhood, instead of them actually traveling to us, as a note we can understand that by doing so..they show a kind of respect by them sharing their technology, and It isnīt directly imposing a threat by doing so ..so not exactly intimidating us by standing on our front door, on the other hand they provided us with technology we do not quite understand ..nor can see the consequences of, then again...we are facing such issues with our own developed technology and advances, biomechanical, chemical, physics ..AI etc.

Then again, if James Woods say it could be a weapon, or they could open a portal and out comes hostile aliens, one may take caution

[QUOTE=erikals;1580669]

- their history
    > i find these somewhat go hand in hand. it would be fun to see an interactive IMAX presentation of sorts, covering their history.

Something like this?

https://youtu.be/xuCn8ux2gbs

B
    Ben Vost - NewTek LightWave 3D development
    LightWave 3D Trial Edition
    AMD Threadripper 1950X, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 32GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (4GB and 768 CUDA cores) and GTX 1080 (8GB and 2560 CUDA cores) driver version 430.86
    AMD FX8350 4.2 GHz, Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium 64-bit, 16GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (416.34, 4GB and 768 CUDA cores)
    Dell Server, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Xeon E3-1220 @3.10 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Quadro K620
    Laptop with Intel i7, nVidia Quadro 2000Mw/ 2GB (377.83 and 192 CUDA cores), Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 8GB RAM
    Mac Mini 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 10.10.3

[QUOTE=BeeVee;1580805]
    Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post

- their history
    > i find these somewhat go hand in hand. it would be fun to see an interactive IMAX presentation of sorts, covering their history.

Something like this?

https://youtu.be/xuCn8ux2gbs

B
    Lol, great crash course, so this is what to use in the schools history lessons... to speed things up.
    Love the beginning...somewhere, nowhere and anywhere at no time and anytime.

vidz > so dang fast these days...

It's so good. He's also done a very informative one on the history of Japan that's definitely worth a watch. There's a version without the swearing for schools. Did you see the number of views? It's somewhere around 75M, but he has no ads on the vid. He could have earned a bunch of cash but has chosen not to, just art. I love it.

B
    Ben Vost - NewTek LightWave 3D development
    LightWave 3D Trial Edition
    AMD Threadripper 1950X, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 32GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (4GB and 768 CUDA cores) and GTX 1080 (8GB and 2560 CUDA cores) driver version 430.86
    AMD FX8350 4.2 GHz, Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium 64-bit, 16GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (416.34, 4GB and 768 CUDA cores)
    Dell Server, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Xeon E3-1220 @3.10 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Quadro K620
    Laptop with Intel i7, nVidia Quadro 2000Mw/ 2GB (377.83 and 192 CUDA cores), Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 8GB RAM
    Mac Mini 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 10.10.3

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast