Thread: NDI Spark Connect HDMI - This thing is awesome

NDI Spark Connect HDMI - This thing is awesome

We got an NDI Spark Connect HDMI a few years ago and occasionally used it but never really put it to work properly. For our training classes we always just used a laptop with the NDI tools installed and told presenters they have to use our laptop. The Spark was a backup. I've recently figure out, wish it didn't take this long, that with the Spark things are just easier. At a recent conference where we were filming we set it up because there was a presenter using an iPad. He only needed an HDMI output and he was good to go. It scales those funky resolutions Apple likes to use. It just works every time I plug something into it. I can even plug in my Android and it works great.

Now it is my goto NDI converter for my front of room laptop. This gives me the option of telling all my presenters, "bring your own computer as long as it has HDMI" and I know they will just work. I do have a bag of converters to convert anything to HDMI so that makes it easier for them. Mac presenters have always been a problem but the Spark just solves the problem. Yes there is a Mac NDI app but not having to tell the presenter to install or run a utility makes things easier.

I am hoping to get one or two more of them so I can have one permanently placed in our office studio and a road backup/extra. Just need to see if my budget can handle the investment for this fiscal year.

I'm not trying to advertise for NewTek but just stating how this little box just works and works well. Now that I've figured it out my job will be easier.

(I have tried to make WiFi work with it and only have mixed success but we always run ethernet so it's no problem for us....plus I don't trust wifi when I can have wired).

Just had to say thanks to NewTek for this genius little box they created. :-)
    Philip Hinkle
    State Bar of Wisconsin

TriCaster 460 and Certified Operator
    JVC GY-HM750 2-4 cams

Thanks for the kind words, Phillip!
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    Thanks for the kind words, Phillip!
    You're welcome. Just wish I hadn't taken so long to realize how much easier it made things.
    Philip Hinkle
    State Bar of Wisconsin

JVC GY-HM750 2-4 cams

I agree. NDI Scan Converter is free and works well, but can be a hassle with people that expect want to walk into the room and connect their laptop up. You have to get the software installed, connect the laptop to the network, then select the source in your TriCaster. Not that any of this is hard, but it is steps and can take a little bit of time, specially if there person doesn't arrive beforehand to allow for setup.

The Spark units make this work like people want, walk in and plug-in your laptop like you would to a projector. Also another nice aspect of it that it operates like a second monitor, if you are doing PowerPoint the presenters screen shows the notes and next slide, while the Spark output is full screen slide output.

I use a Spark HDMI for the NewTekU training classes that we are running out of San Antonio for this very reason.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by kanep View Post
    I agree. NDI Scan Converter is free and works well, but can be a hassle with people that expect want to walk into the room and connect their laptop up. You have to get the software installed, connect the laptop to the network, then select the source in your TriCaster. Not that any of this is hard, but it is steps and can take a little bit of time, specially if there person doesn't arrive beforehand to allow for setup.

The Spark units make this work like people want, walk in and plug-in your laptop like you would to a projector. Also another nice aspect of it that it operates like a second monitor, if you are doing PowerPoint the presenters screen shows the notes and next slide, while the Spark output is full screen slide output.

I use a Spark HDMI for the NewTekU training classes that we are running out of San Antonio for this very reason.
    Yes, the presenter view is another bonus the Spark allows now. I no longer have to make them mad and tell them no presenter view. Presenter view and iPads make this thing a worthy investment.
    Philip Hinkle
    State Bar of Wisconsin

JVC GY-HM750 2-4 cams